Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   What to be sure to do on the Lifestyle visit? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/what-sure-do-lifestyle-visit-147286/)

Go-Bucks! 03-14-2015 09:57 PM

What to be sure to do on the Lifestyle visit?

My daughter and I will be visiting TV in about 5 weeks and want to be sure we see/do activities that will give me a good sampling of what's available for my retirement years.

Neither of us golf, but I'd like to take it up again if I move there. We plan to go to a movie, go to the town squares in the evening, visit the rec centers, shop, eat at a variety of restaurants, use the golf cart, and maybe the bicycles. Also plan to look at homes. I contacted one of the clubs, but was told that only residents can attend their meeting/potluck. :cry:

Any of you have other things that we should plan to see or do? We'll be there for 4 days and 5 nights. Would love ideas from current residents so we won't miss something fun or important. I was told we'll be staying near the Lake Sumter Square. Thanks for your ideas!!

Fraugoofy 03-14-2015 10:06 PM

I would try to take in a show at the Savanah Center if possible!

obxgal 03-14-2015 10:08 PM

Trolley ride, bring your bathing suits and relax at one of the many pools. If your here April 18th catch the old car show at Spanish springs town square. Bowling, pickle ball and I'm sure others will give you more ideas.

tomwed 03-14-2015 10:32 PM

watch this click here

pqrstar 03-14-2015 10:44 PM

If you do the lifestyle visit, you will be given guest passes to participate in any of the activities at the Rec. centers.

Most clubs welcome guests.

fred53 03-15-2015 06:31 AM

These are usually private...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pqrstar (Post 1028774)
If you do the lifestyle visit, you will be given guest passes to participate in any of the activities at the Rec. centers.

Most clubs welcome guests.

groups that meet and have potluck suppers...guest passes will not get you into them.

graciegirl 03-15-2015 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred53 (Post 1028837)
groups that meet and have potluck suppers...guest passes will not get you into them.

But if you want to visit the Ohio club, be OUR guest. Be sure and stop by our house if you have time.

TNLAKEPANDA 03-15-2015 06:55 AM

Ride around with a Realtor and buy a house... they will be more expensive next time.

tv2016 03-15-2015 07:16 AM

Eat lunch outside at the Arnold Palmer Country Club. Visit the Eisenhower rec center to see the decor.

Go-Bucks! 03-15-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1028843)
But if you want to visit the Ohio club, be OUR guest. Be sure and stop by our house if you have time.

It was the Buckeye club that I contacted, but they said their Apr. 22 meeting was private. Is the Ohio club different? I'd love to meet other Ohioans, esp you guys! We arrive on Apr. 21 and leave on the 26th. Let me know. :wave:

Go-Bucks! 03-15-2015 08:44 AM

These are great suggestions - thanks so much. Anymore??

Villager Joyce 03-15-2015 10:50 AM

Golf Cart everywhere that is feasible. Rather than run around to see everything, pick a few relaxing activities. Eating outside at the country clubs is one of my favorite things to do. We go to Publix in the cart and pick up egg salad and croissants, and then have a picnic at one of the pools or rec centers.

karostay 03-15-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go-Bucks! (Post 1028762)
My daughter and I will be visiting TV in about 5 weeks and want to be sure we see/do activities that will give me a good sampling of what's available for my retirement years.

Neither of us golf, but I'd like to take it up again if I move there. We plan to go to a movie, go to the town squares in the evening, visit the rec centers, shop, eat at a variety of restaurants, use the golf cart, and maybe the bicycles. Also plan to look at homes. I contacted one of the clubs, but was told that only residents can attend their meeting/potluck. :cry:

Any of you have other things that we should plan to see or do? We'll be there for 4 days and 5 nights. Would love ideas from current residents so we won't miss something fun or important. I was told we'll be staying near the Lake Sumter Square. Thanks for your ideas!!

Bring 28 hour day

redwitch 03-15-2015 04:54 PM

Honestly, I'd skip the golf cart. You're not going to be here long, it is easy to get lost in a cart here, the cart that come with the lifestyle visits are exceedingly slow. Use the cart in your neighborhood and maybe to go to a square if you're nearby. Otherwise, take your car.

Definitely take a trolley ride. At a minimum, visit Eisenhower Rec Center. Talk to lots of people -- at the squares, in restaurants, anywhere and everywhere. Most importantly, have fun. (As to the clubs, you may have to join -- normally, a $5.00 annual fee -- but you should be able to participate.)

pqrstar 03-15-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred53 (Post 1028837)

Well, the clubs I belong to certainly don't mind guest.

Guests can bring a pot-luck dish too.