Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Evans Prairie (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/evans-prairie-147353/)

hampton 03-15-2015 09:19 AM

Evans Prairie

Last evening a group of friends and I went to Evans Prairie for dinner. Three of us ordered The Shank and were very disappointed. The meat was very dry and the glaze had become so caramelized that it could not be cut with a knife. It had to be peeled from the bone and the meat underneath could then be eaten. The vegetables were luke warm. I did like the mashed potatoes. We will not order The Shank again.

missypie 03-15-2015 09:27 AM

Did you mention this to your server? How did they handle it?

under55 03-15-2015 09:34 AM

I always get The Shank there. One time mine was like that and they immediately replaced it. Yes I wish it had not made it to the table but they always take care of problems. Also remember when you dine at any of Fred's places the sides are only suggested sides. You can get any side dishes you want in place of what they suggest on the menu.

newguyintv 03-15-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hampton (Post 1028928)
Last evening a group of friends and I went to Evans Prairie for dinner. Three of us ordered The Shank and were very disappointed. The meat was very dry and the glaze had become so caramelized that it could not be cut with a knife. It had to be peeled from the bone and the meat underneath could then be eaten. The vegetables were luke warm. I did like the mashed potatoes. We will not order The Shank again.

Average Restaurants put out average meals. Most Villages "Country Clubs" fall into this category! Why would you be surprised?

hampton 03-15-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missypie (Post 1028935)
Did you mention this to your server? How did they handle it?

I did not. I'm sure they would have done something. A chef worthy of his position should have known this by just looking at it instead of trying to pass it along to the public.:mmmm:

graciegirl 03-15-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hampton (Post 1028967)
I did not. I'm sure they would have done something. A chef worthy of his position should have known this by just looking at it instead of trying to pass it along to the public.:mmmm:

I am pretty sure at the very nice (not expensive) prices they have there that they have a lot of young food preparers rather than a "chef".

Kids..who may have taken a food prep course in high school or community college.

Most of the country club restaurants are mostly good. Good enough. People are NOT looking to outlive their last buck here.

villagetinker 03-15-2015 02:30 PM

I am surprised we have eaten there several times (10 or more) and have never had a bad meal, in fact we enjoyed all of our meals very much.

goldseekur 03-15-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1028988)
I am pretty sure at the very nice (not expensive) prices they have there that they have a lot of young food preparers rather than a "chef".

Kids..who may have taken a food prep course in high school or community college.

Most of the country club restaurants are mostly good. Good enough. People are NOT looking to outlive their last buck here.

I would disagree with "good enough". I worked hard all my life for my money and I do not think or feel that I or anyone should except something that is NOT worth the money. I don't care what the product is, by just accepting something, it will never get any better.

"Kids..who may have taken a food prep course in high school or community college." ...

What does that mean? Do we have to except less of them and what they do? If they are taking courses in this field, then they should be required and expected to do a good job and product a good product because they have had training. In my opinion.

I always told my customers to please let me know if my product or service provided wasn't exactly what they expected, because I can not fix something that I do not know is not right.

karostay 03-15-2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hampton (Post 1028928)

Just another:mmmm: bone to pick :jester:

JoMar 03-15-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldseekur (Post 1029077)
I would disagree with "good enough". I worked hard all my life for my money and I do not think or feel that I or anyone should except something that is NOT worth the money. I don't care what the product is, by just accepting something, it will never get any better.

"Kids..who may have taken a food prep course in high school or community college." ...

What does that mean? Do we have to except less of them and what they do? If they are taking courses in this field, then they should be required and expected to do a good job and product a good product because they have had training. In my opinion.

I always told my customers to please let me know if my product or service provided wasn't exactly what they expected, because I can not fix something that I do not know is not right.

The issue with this post is the "not worth the money comment". I don't disagree that to you, it may not be worth the money, but putting it out there as your opinion is the final word is taking a shot at those that believe the food here is worth the money. This is not fine dining, the food is good and when there is a problem I have never found any Club or, in fact, any restaurant not willing to make it right. I believe that everyone who lives here has worked hard for a lot of years so no one person has the right to put themselves above the others that have done the same thing. Value systems our different and we need to respect that.

Villageswimmer 03-15-2015 04:24 PM

Maybe the issue is inconsistency. My sister, who is very picky, had the shank and loved it!

Bogie Shooter 03-15-2015 04:30 PM

This restaurant thread is no different than those in the past. Some like the food some don't and will never go back.
Me, I go and find out for myself............and keep my mouth shut!

costagrande 03-16-2015 07:24 PM

Evans Prairie

I have had the shank many times and it has been awesome! Falling off the bone and very tasty!