Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Decks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/decks-147420/)

Allegiance 03-15-2015 03:16 PM

Decks

I dont see many decks in The Villages. Are they hard to get approved? I am thinking of building (paying someone else to do it) a raised deck of about 200 - 300 square feet. I appreciate any comments / recommendations on materials, contractors, approvals etc.

thanks in advance :smiley:

jimbo2012 03-15-2015 04:11 PM

I think you can do one, but just call the ARC for a general ?

More folks here go pavers, concrete or gravel from what I see.

you still need to follow your build able lot lines.

Allegiance 03-19-2015 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 1029116)
I think you can do one, but just call the ARC for a general ?

More folks here go pavers, concrete or gravel from what I see.

you still need to follow your build able lot lines.

The property is sloping (about two feet over a 30 foot length) and we would like to have the deck be at house level, not at the level of the lower enclosed lanai. Maybe incorporating two entrances to the deck, one from the kitchen and one from a bedroom.

Are there any major restrictions or drawbacks to a deck versus a concrete patio?

mulligan 03-19-2015 06:39 AM

Constant maintenance of wood would a drawback. Will have to be sealed/stained annually at minimum. This includes pressure treated. Florida sun really does a number on exposed wood products.

Bogie Shooter 03-19-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegiance (Post 1030922)
The property is sloping (about two feet over a 30 foot length) and we would like to have the deck be at house level, not at the level of the lower enclosed lanai. Maybe incorporating two entrances to the deck, one from the kitchen and one from a bedroom.

Are there any major restrictions or drawbacks to a deck versus a concrete patio?

As Jimbo said call ARC, you will only get opinions on here....you need the facts.
Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912

jimbo2012 03-19-2015 10:18 AM

One other point, U need treated wood only if the posts are in the ground, which I do not recommend.

Any posts should be concrete round columns about 8" dia to ground level 24" deep.

All wood should be Fl Cypress it is termite resistant naturally and looks great.

I know of great saw mill in Sanford that can get cut for a very good price if you need one.

Allegiance 03-31-2015 10:41 PM

Thanks, would love the names of any builders and suppliers as I would like to get some estimates soon.

billethkid 03-31-2015 10:48 PM

Decks are great for varying height landscapes.
Most homes in TV are ground level....less or no need for a deck.
There are a lot of docks in FL made of treated lumber and doing well.
Check out all the decking by the water at Lake Sumter Landing.

Bonanza 03-31-2015 11:37 PM

If you get approval, check out Trex. It's a "green" (eco friendly) product, a composite, comes in various colors (don't have to stain or treat), is tongue-and-groove installation, and looks terrific. You won't have to be a slave to it as it is very carefree. There are many other great things about it, but it is not inexpensive.

My husband and I have talked about a deck and if we ever decided to put one in, Trex is the only thing we would consider.

I can't believe none of you men have recommended it!

Home Depot and Lowes carry it and is well worth checking out.

Lauren Sweeny 04-01-2015 05:32 AM

I agree with Bonanza on Trex . This composite is very carefree, much ,much better then wood or any other deck product. It holds up, does not fade or rot, needs no sanding or constant surface coatings. Investigate its reviews and manufacturing process and you will agree it is a great product.

jimbo2012 04-01-2015 06:36 AM

Trex has had two class action lawsuits, research it

Bob Villa website

another here

There's nothing like the feel of wood underfoot, in fact I think but not 100% sure the composites are mush hotter under barefoot.

I used Cypress here as stated above, the stain/sealer will last at least 5 years before re-coating.

Lovey2 04-01-2015 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 1038230)
Trex has had two class action lawsuits, research it

Bob Villa website

another here

There's nothing like the feel of wood underfoot, in fact I think but not 100% sure the composites are mush hotter under barefoot.

I used Cypress here as stated above, the stain/sealer will last at least 5 years before re-coating.

Wowee...never saw any of this. We had a wooden dock and boat lift, that lasted 23 years. I regularly stained and resealed (which was a fairly easy job!) it and replaced a few boards over the years. Always slightly envious of the new docks going in made of Trex and wished I could afford them. This is news to me, but totally plausible and makes me happy I didn't pay the exorbitant prices those docks were getting and still have issues. A little labor once a year is no biggie, I thought. Hmmm...this is surely something to think about if considering Trex.

bonrich 04-01-2015 07:43 AM

We went from treated lumber to Trex in our home up North. Yes, it does get hotter, but I would rather put up with that instead of splinters, curling planks, etc. Also, maintenance is an issue. With composite material, the color is throughout the piece. In the ground, concrete pads so nothing can rot. That would be my choice if putting in a deck. Also, so many changes in the composite material department since we had a deck put in so many years ago.

Allegiance 04-01-2015 08:09 AM

Our lot is on a slope. About a two foot drop over 30 feet. It would have to be multi level if it was concrete. Thought the deck option good as it could also give the house a handicapped entrance and provide some storage under the deck. It will be on the sunny side of the house. Has anyone used the Lowes or home depot composite decking (choicedek, veranda)? Love all the feedback! More is appreciated. Any contractor advice or tips on handling the approval process? Feel free to pm if the tips are confidential ;)