Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Vandalism to my car (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/vandalism-my-car-147421/)

vermonster 03-15-2015 03:33 PM

Vandalism to my car

I started noticing key marks etched into the paint at the rear of my Chrysler minivan, beginning over two months ago. Periodically I would notice new scratches etched into the paint and the chrome. I am not sure, but I think this may be occurring while parked at venues like Saddle Brook, Rio Grande, and/or shopping areas along 441. I do not know who is perpetrating these acts of vandalism or why.

I have contacted police in Sumter and Lake Counties, but they have not been able to be of much help. I am trying to track down the perpetrator(s) and venue(s) where this is occurring by being more vigilant, but it is difficult.

As far as I know, I have not done anything to create an enemy here in The Villages. I am an excellent and courteous driver, and I obey the traffic laws. Does anyone know why this may be happening? Has anyone seen something or someone suspicious in the parking lots? Please help. I feel helpless while the paint job on my new car is being slowly destroyed for no reason.

Phanatic Luvr 03-15-2015 11:52 PM

Could you possibly be backing into bushes with your mini van in parking lots? Some of the bushes are very unforgiving. It seems very odd that this keeps happening to you.

Grandfinch 03-16-2015 05:44 AM

If in fact, it is man made scratches I would ask if you have any window or bumper stickers that some might find offensive.

RickeyD 03-16-2015 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandfinch (Post 1029278)
If in fact, it is man made scratches I would ask if you have any window or bumper stickers that some might find offensive.

My bumper sticker reads " I hate everyone ", no scratches yet.

villagetinker 03-16-2015 08:47 AM

If you really want to find out what is going on get a dashcam, and point it to the back of the van, as long as your windows are not real dark, you should get a picture of the vandal. Also, did you contact the merchant to see if they have security cameras?

sunnyatlast 03-16-2015 09:47 AM

Check your garage door overhead and when you have the minivan tailgate open and up. The tailgate could be touching the garage door open overhead or sometimes there are thin cable ends exposes/dangling.

Bonny 03-16-2015 12:12 PM

Na, not saying anything. :popcorn:

Walt. 03-16-2015 01:56 PM

This doesn't really make any sense. I'm thinking it's something other than vandalism. A normal person wouldn't do this over and over and running the risk of being caught. If they really dislike you enough to damage your car they'd probably just run a long deep scratch along the trunk top or side or something... not a bunch of little marks along the back. But... then again... you can never figure out some people.

rubicon 03-16-2015 02:11 PM

It appears to happen everywhere you park. Are you alone when you visit these places? If not perhaps its the passenger you are carrying? As an example I saw a commercial where a wife took a sledgehammer to the wrong car that was parked at a golf course and as she was swinging that hammer her husband drove up in an identical car. so perhaps that's another explanation:D

Sandtrap328 03-16-2015 02:15 PM

Sounds like scraping some of these hedges to me.

2BNTV 03-16-2015 02:17 PM

If it keeps happening, I suspect your backing into something like bushes.

Crime rate is too low to keep happening over and over again, unless someone has it in for you.

I would check your car when you are finished parking, each time.

CFrance 03-16-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickeyD (Post 1029293)
My bumper sticker reads " I hate everyone ", no scratches yet.

In your case, watch out for bowling balls being dropped from 30 feet.:22yikes:

kcrazorbackfan 03-16-2015 07:59 PM

Wow! First, there is a person having one freaking cookie taken from his/her stash and now there is a person getting his/her car keyed everywhere he/she goes - is there a :censored: full moon every day in TV?

shanson99 03-16-2015 08:33 PM

Vandalism to my car

We contacted our insurance company after discovering deep scratches all in the same basic area of car. The adjuster said it was from the heat of the sun. We repainted. No new scratches.

Walt. 03-16-2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1029732)
Wow! First, there is a person having one freaking cookie taken from his/her stash and now there is a person getting his/her car keyed everywhere he/she goes - is there a :censored: full moon every day in TV?

So... you think that the cookie thief is vandalizing this guy's car? Probably the same jerk who tied off all those seats! Oh the humanity!!