Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   what is your go to??? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/what-your-go-147486/)

PR1234 03-16-2015 09:07 AM

what is your go to???

If inviting people over for drinks....what is your 'go to' to serve along with drinks? Be specific please;-)

dewilson58 03-16-2015 09:18 AM

dew = K I S S.........................two or three types of sliced cheeses, two types of crackers & a couple fresh fruits (easy to eat, with toothpick). If I'm wild and crazy, sliced sausage.

TheVillageChicken 03-16-2015 09:48 AM

http://www.tabasco.com/recipe-photos...0Mlpq&a=mcd3z8

TrudyM 03-16-2015 10:27 AM

Ok we want to be more social in retirement but haven't invited anyone for drinks as we don't drink. Not against it just never got in the habit and now with meds it isn't recommended. I use to keep Ariel, wine with alcohol removed on hand to take when we went to dinner at someone's house so we could join in the toasts. I worked so many hours a week we never really learned how to socialize so need some suggestions.

What should we stock to serve for drinks if we are going to have people by.
Wine? Beer? vodka and OJ?

graciegirl 03-16-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrudyM (Post 1029400)
Ok we want to be more social in retirement but haven't invited anyone for drinks as we don't drink. Not against it just never got in the habit and now with meds it isn't recommended. I use to keep Ariel, wine with alcohol removed on hand to take when we went to dinner at someone's house so we could join in the toasts. I worked so many hours a week we never really learned how to socialize so need some suggestions.

Just say come for wine and beer and snacks. Get some meatballs from the freezer case and heat a jar of grape jelly with a jar of chili sauce and heat it with the meatballs. Get some crackers and brie and you are in business.

Brownies wouldn't hurt. Don't forget pop...errr soda.

tomwed 03-16-2015 11:02 AM

Sam Adams, Coors Light, a bottle of red and a bottle of white from Chile, ice tea, diet coke, seven up, club soda

blue cheese, brie, cheddar on a cutting board,
assorted olives,
hummus,
pepperoni,
assorted crackers

Bonny 03-16-2015 12:01 PM

Brie, mozzarella and a cheese ball along with summer sausage and crackers. I also make a yummy crab & artichoke dip.

dbussone 03-16-2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1029404)
Just say come for wine and beer and snacks. Get some meatballs from the freezer case and heat a jar of grape jelly with a jar of chili sauce and heat it with the meatballs. Get some crackers and brie and you are in business.

Brownies wouldn't hurt. Don't forget pop...errr soda.

Tonic.

PR1234 03-16-2015 05:15 PM

Great ideas, thanks!

Villager Joyce 03-16-2015 05:19 PM

Evans Prairie to listen to Lou Gatto

jnieman 03-16-2015 05:52 PM

Win Schuler's spreadable cheese and Town House crackers, a bowl of grapes (I take them off the vine and wash and put them in a bowl), jalapeno cheese sliced, Vadalia onion dip (there is a vendor at Brownwood that sells all kinds of dip mixes) just add mayo and sour cream. Potato chips to go along with it. Sometimes sliced Hickory Farms sausage. I also make a great artichoke dip with parmesean cheese, mayo and oil packed artichoke hearts I bake in the oven.

Fraugoofy 03-16-2015 08:46 PM

Chips and salsa. Goes great w tequila!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-16-2015 08:52 PM

Ice

CatskillBill 03-16-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrudyM (Post 1029400)

Can't go wrong with these adult beverages:

Captain Morgan & Coke (Regular & Decaf Zero)
Absolute - Sprite, Club Soda, Cranberry
Gin - Tonic
Jack Daniels - Ginger Ale, Coke
Scotch
Some white & red wine
Coors Lite, Miller Lite & Yuengling
LOTS of ice, a couple of lemons, limes, & let them mix their own.

pbkmaine 03-16-2015 11:13 PM

Crudités with ranch dressing, whatever cheese and cracker combo tickles my fancy at Aldi, grapes or other fruit in season, and a baguette with olive salad from the farmer's market. Usually our guests offer to bring something, too.