Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   "Not connected to a network" HELP!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/not-connected-network-help-147573/)

jebartle 03-16-2015 05:30 PM

"Not connected to a network" HELP!!

Get that pop-up, requesting to check plugs, make-sure airplane mode is off?, and offering a fix box, click box, and back on internet. Happens 10 times a day, Ugh! Really annoying!....What can I do to make this GO AWAY!....I think little bugs travel in the night and land on my laptop, Ha!. Any suggestions out there computer whiz kids????

tomwed 03-16-2015 05:42 PM

What is your operating system? windows 7, 8 ?
Are you running any antivirus software? norton. windows defender, mcafee
Can you back up your work to a usb stick?

I think you may need to reinstall your operating system. I suspect malware. Sooner or later you will do a fresh install anyway.

Uberschaf 03-16-2015 06:24 PM

If you are on comcast it might be trying to log on to their new hotspot concept xfinitywifi.Check wireless connections and set it to your home network.

jebartle 03-16-2015 06:43 PM

thanks

I'm on Comcast, this has been going on now for at least a couple of weeks, when I request fix, response is connection problem corrected but then 20 minutes later, I have to reconnect...Frustrating to say the least. How do you want me to check wireless connections? Router and modem we purchased, not Comcast. I've unplugged and then plugged in again, no change...Has my computer ignorance been exposed now?...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uberschaf (Post 1029674)
If you are on comcast it might be trying to log on to their new hotspot concept xfinitywifi.Check wireless connections and set it to your home network.

jebartle 03-16-2015 06:45 PM

thanks tomwed

Windows 7
Malware
Yes to usb stick
reinstall would require powers higher than my computer knowledge

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1029648)
What is your operating system? windows 7, 8 ?
Are you running any antivirus software? norton. windows defender, mcafee
Can you back up your work to a usb stick?

I think you may need to reinstall your operating system. I suspect malware. Sooner or later you will do a fresh install anyway.

Uberschaf 03-16-2015 06:54 PM

Could be malware.Download Malwarebytes from this link: https://www.malwarebytes.org/
and run a scan.Get the free version.

jebartle 03-16-2015 06:58 PM

thanks Uberschaf

I have this download....Came back clean. Also did a Restore for 2/21/15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uberschaf (Post 1029697)
Could be malware.Download Malwarebytes from this link: https://www.malwarebytes.org/
and run a scan.Get the free version.

tomwed 03-16-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1029690)
Windows 7https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXbMyFaROw
Malware
Yes to usb stick
reinstall would require powers higher than my computer knowledge

If everything is backed up to a USB stick you can try to fix it yourself.
What is the make and model of your laptop?
Do you have all the software that came with it?

Do you know what a restore point is?
You might have one.
Watch this click here

KayakerNC 03-16-2015 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1029688)
Router and modem we purchased, not Comcast. I've unplugged and then plugged in again, no change..

Are you leaving them unplugged for at least 20 - 30 seconds? To me, it seems more like a Router or Modem problem than possible malware.

villagetinker 03-16-2015 07:29 PM

Well, here is my experience.
First I noticed that I was paying for a 105 mb download, and I was not getting anywhere near that. Complained to Comcast. Tech came out, found out signals levels way out of line, signal too HIGH, made a temporary fix, then determined my modem was BAD. Replaced modem, now have rated speed (hardwired connection only, wireless is slower), phones connect reliably and same for computers.
And since the modem was bad NO COST to me.

We had major problems prior with computers and especially cell phones reconnecting to home network, constantly had to reboot/reset the modem, at least once per week. Then checked the connection speed.

I hope this helps

jebartle 03-17-2015 03:03 AM

Thanks again tomwed

make of laptop - Acer Aspire, yes to software ?...restore point, after restore I have not noticed my daily message, hope this was the answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1029710)
If everything is backed up to a USB stick you can try to fix it yourself.
What is the make and model of your laptop?
Do you have all the software that came with it?

Do you know what a restore point is?
You might have one.
Watch this click here

tomwed 03-17-2015 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1029810)
make of laptop - Acer Aspire, yes to software ?...restore point, after restore I have not noticed my daily message, hope this was the answer.

A restore point is a snapshot of all the settings from an earlier time when the computer was working fine before something new was installed deliberately by the owner or maliciously by someone else.

This also means that the newest good updates from microsoft or Acer are also missing. So do a windows update. I also think your machine will automatically check with acer and microsoft for updates.

But I would avoid java updates or anything else without googling it. I like chrome better than IE internet explorer.

Here's a good tip.
Do you know if you can log into your computer as a guest? When you go to the library and log in you are a guest. You can't install software without a password. Malware is software and it can't install either without a password.

When you log in as an administrator or if your account has administrator rights, than you have already granted permission for you and others to install good and bad software.

jebartle 03-17-2015 08:48 AM

TOTV'rs are very fortunate

to be able to tap the knowledge of members like you. Thank you, hope all is well with my little laptop...Thanks again:bigbow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1029839)
A restore point is a snapshot of all the settings from an earlier time when the computer was working fine before something new was installed deliberately by the owner or maliciously by someone else.

This also means that the newest good updates from microsoft or Acer are also missing. So do a windows update. I also think your machine will automatically check with acer and microsoft for updates.

But I would avoid java updates or anything else without googling it. I like chrome better than IE internet explorer.

Here's a good tip.
Do you know if you can log into your computer as a guest? When you go to the library and log in you are a guest. You can't install software without a password. Malware is software and it can't install either without a password.

When you log in as an administrator or if your account has administrator rights, than you have already granted permission for you and others to install good and bad software.