Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   No frogs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/no-frogs-147719/)

Topspinmo 03-17-2015 08:33 PM

No frogs

Ok, I fished several ponds (the ones with fish in them) around the villages (mostly north to central locations). I have seen no frogs or tadpoles (the kind that crook and swim)(and no I didn't fish at the cement ponds) Why don't see any? Too many predators or something in the water?

dbussone 03-17-2015 08:55 PM

Just a guess, but I would think that the gators and birds take care of them.

Allegiance 03-17-2015 09:00 PM

They came to the villages to croak.

redwitch 03-17-2015 09:00 PM

Wait til rainy season. You'll hear them in ponds and some in the sewers. You'll see 'em near the ponds, on your screens, windows, side of house. You'll squish 'em with cart and car. They're kinda cute little buggers but I think most are tree frogs and probably some nice, big noisy toads around the water.

graciegirl 03-17-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1030273)
Wait til rainy season. You'll hear them in ponds and some in the sewers. You'll see 'em near the ponds, on your screens, windows, side of house. You'll squish 'em with cart and car. They're kinda cute little buggers but I think most are tree frogs and probably some nice, big noisy toads around the water.

She is right. A bunch live behind CQuick's house. She always reports their loud music during the rainy season to us on the forum.

Hancle704 03-17-2015 09:32 PM

I have observed that a large flock of white Pelicans has visited several ponds recently. Maybe they enjoy frogs.

Barefoot 03-17-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1030263)
Ok, I fished several ponds (the ones with fish in them) around the villages (mostly north to central locations). I have seen no frogs or tadpoles (the kind that crook and swim)(and no I didn't fish at the cement ponds) Why don't see any? Too many predators or something in the water?

The frogs must all be in the ponds behind our house. Talk about noise at night! They really get vocal after dark.
I'm not complaining. It's a melodious racket that lulls us to sleep.

Bay Kid 03-18-2015 08:22 AM

Love to hear them sing!

Barefoot 03-18-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1030390)
Love to hear them sing!

I enjoy hearing them also. We have a couple of Bull frogs that sound like East Coast Fog Horns.
I love it when they all start singing, usually at dusk.

Topspinmo 03-18-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1030269)
Just a guess, but I would think that the gators and birds take care of them.

I have yet to see gator around the villages. When I when on St. Johns River Cruise I seen some. I rarely go south of 446a only to play singles pickleball once in Blue moon. Will probably try out the fishing holes this summer after the traffic bleeds down some?

dbussone 03-19-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1030894)
I have yet to see gator around the villages. When I when on St. Johns River Cruise I seen some. I rarely go south of 446a only to play singles pickleball once in Blue moon. Will probably try out the fishing holes this summer after the traffic bleeds down some?

I've seen quite a few already in and around the golf course ponds.