Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Dog eating his own poo? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/dog-eating-his-own-poo-147749/)

Taltarzac725 03-18-2015 08:53 AM

Dog eating his own poo?

Does anyone have any experience at stopping this behavior and avoiding MSG as well as any allergies a dog might have?

We tried pineapple, which he will not eat.

Heard about meat tenderizer from friend at dog park but am concerned about MSG and any possible allergic reactions.

One good thing, if I do not scoop up my dog's poop when out on a walk here in the Villages, he gobbles it up.

http://www.responsibledog.net/corophagia.html

deestatham 03-18-2015 09:02 AM

My sheltie has the same miserable habit!! And I don't know of anything that will stop her from doing this.

tuccillo 03-18-2015 09:15 AM

We had a sheltie that also "recycled". We could never break him of the habit. We had to watch him like a hawk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deestatham (Post 1030421)
My sheltie has the same miserable habit!! And I don't know of anything that will stop her from doing this.

gerryann 03-18-2015 09:59 AM

I've had that problem with dogs in the past. Nothing I tried worked. They especially liked it when it was winter up north and they were now "poopcycles". I don't know if my pup now has the problem as her messes are picked up immedietly!

TheVillageChicken 03-18-2015 10:07 AM

Couldn't you quickly sprinkle some nasty tasting stuff on the poo....hmmmm....never mind.

redwitch 03-18-2015 10:32 AM

Can mean that a basic nutrient is missing from the diet if a relatively new habit. Usually, it goes back to being in the wild. Only the alpha dog was allowed to scent and leave droppings. The alpha would eat the dog droppings of the other dogs. Lone dogs would always eat their own so a pack could not find him so easily. It is disgusting but if the dog is healthy (no worms, fleas, etc) relatively harmless. I just wouldn't let the dog lick me after munching.

The one thing you can do is to train a dog to "leave it." It really should be one of the basic commands, anyway. Best way to prevent a dog from being poisoned is teach it to only eat when it is given permission to do so. Not easy, but very doable.

DeanFL 03-18-2015 10:59 AM

Time to ask the vet...

not a very tantalizing topic when eating a breakfast sausage...:icon_hungry:

onslowe 03-18-2015 11:02 AM

Tal, we had that problem with Sam up north. Petco has a product that begins with "Copra.." and it worked excellently and very fast. Worth a try I think. Good luck.

Taltarzac725 03-18-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1030519)
Time to ask the vet...

not a very tantalizing topic when eating a breakfast sausage...:icon_hungry:

She knows about it as she refused to kiss him at his first check-up. That was one of the vets at Buffalo Ridge. I usually just go to whomever is available there. They suggested pineapple and also something you buy that you put in the dog food. I think I have consulted several vets at Buffalo Ridge.

I am trying to get a variety of options.

A walk on a leash is the easiest but not always practical if I have a lot of other stuff to do. When he is at the dog park he is smart about trying to go where I cannot see him (or so he thinks). Then he gets it as fast as he can. I do try to watch everything he might pick up to sample as there are various poisonous plants and the like near the mail centers and as weeds in yards. http://landscaping.about.com/od/land...us_to_dogs.htm

sunnyatlast 03-18-2015 11:21 AM

What the vet named Tabitha on this blog, 4th post down, says makes sense…….

Topic: Coprophagia (Poop Eating) Advice

karostay 03-18-2015 11:24 AM

Simple solution....Pick it up

TV MAN 03-18-2015 11:39 AM

Meat tenderizer by adolfs works as well.

DeanFL 03-18-2015 11:46 AM

You really ARE talking about your dog, and not your husband etc. :mmmm:

You know how some folks say "I have a friend that"... and it's really them or a loved one.

OK. now that I've ruined your lunches...gotta run.

Taltarzac725 03-18-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TV MAN (Post 1030551)
Meat tenderizer by adolfs works as well.

That's what I seen on some websites. Is this just available via the net or do some local Villages' stores carry it?

dbussone 03-18-2015 12:20 PM

Dog eating his own poo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1030572)
That's what I seen on some websites. Is this just available via the net or do some local Villages' stores carry it?

Be careful using it. Try small quantities first because dogs can react badly to it just like people. It is an MSG based product. You should be able to get it in most supermarkets.