Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   swollen ankles (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/swollen-ankles-147986/)

hulahips 03-19-2015 09:11 PM

swollen ankles

All of a sudden my ankles are swelling. Dr has no idea? I am not overweight? Any thoughts?

dbussone 03-19-2015 09:13 PM

Has your diet increased your salt intake?

Barefoot 03-19-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hulahips (Post 1031400)
All of a sudden my ankles are swelling. Dr has no idea? I am not overweight? Any thoughts?

Heat? Excessive line dancing? More time on your feet?

Carl in Tampa 03-19-2015 09:52 PM

Don't ignore the problem.

If your doctor "has no idea" and lets it go at that it may be time to find a new doctor.

It could be very serious. This, from WebMD: Heart, liver, or kidney disease. Sometimes swelling can indicate a problem such as heart, liver, or kidney disease. Ankles that swell in the evening could be a sign of retaining salt and water because of right-sided heart failure. Kidney disease can also cause foot and ankle swelling. When kidneys are not functioning properly, fluid can build up in the body. Liver disease can affect the liver's production of a protein called albumin, which keeps the blood from leaking out of the blood vessels into the surrounding tissues. Inadequate albumin production can lead to fluid leakage. Gravity causes fluid to accumulate more in the feet and ankles, but fluid can also accumulate in the abdomen and chest. If your swelling is accompanied by other symptoms, including fatigue, loss of appetite, and weight gain, see your doctor right away. If you feel short of breath or have chest pain, pressure, or tightness, call 911.

Read the entire article here: What Causes Swollen Ankles and Feet? - WebMD

Carla B 03-19-2015 10:25 PM

My husband had that. In this case it was caused by a blood pressure medication, Amlodopine.

kittygilchrist 03-19-2015 11:33 PM

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/s...nkles-and-feet

graciegirl 03-20-2015 06:48 AM

The doctor said he has no idea?

I too agree with CarlfromTampa.

Don't want you to have swollen ankles,

Gracie.

villagetinker 03-20-2015 07:57 AM

Change doctors immediately, I have seen this with congestive heard failure.

slipcovers 03-20-2015 08:28 AM

My ankles never swell except when I am in Florida....too much eating out.. the food is loaded with salt, especially if you go on a cruise.

hulahips 03-20-2015 10:11 AM

Tks for great tips. I do watch my salt am pretty much a health enthusiast. my Dr gave me 3 choices. I turned down all 3. First she said I could go on the med (forget name) that pretty much keeps u in the bathroom all the time. No 2 get test for blood clot or no 3 wear compression hose. Said no to all and today ankles are better. Will keep an eye on them though. Maybe just one dish I had was loaded with salt I am thinking

Loudoll 03-20-2015 10:43 AM

Might be from the concrete floors.

njbchbum 03-20-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hulahips (Post 1031619)
Tks for great tips. I do watch my salt am pretty much a health enthusiast. my Dr gave me 3 choices. I turned down all 3. First she said I could go on the med (forget name) that pretty much keeps u in the bathroom all the time. No 2 get test for blood clot or no 3 wear compression hose. Said no to all and today ankles are better. Will keep an eye on them though. Maybe just one dish I had was loaded with salt I am thinking

What advice might you have followed which your Doctor might have offered? Am having a hard time figuring out why you went to the Doctor and then decided not to follow advice given to you. Here's hoping you don't have a blocked or even clogged femoral artery.

Laurie2 03-20-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hulahips (Post 1031619)

Of those 3 choices, the second one finds or eliminates a potential diagnosis rather than just treating symptoms.

The test is a Doppler ultrasound. It is a non-invasive test.

If this symptom is on-going, you need a diagnosis. Others here in this thread have given the reasons.

Carl in Tampa 03-20-2015 12:57 PM

Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie2 (Post 1031710)
Of those 3 choices, the second one finds or eliminates a potential diagnosis rather than just treating symptoms.

The test is a Doppler ultrasound. It is a non-invasive test.

If this symptom is on-going, you need a diagnosis. Others here in this thread have given the reasons.

Your screen name makes me think you are a woman, but your behavior is like a man...................denial.

SOMETHING is causing the swelling. The ultrasound can detect Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) which can sneak up on you and be very serious.

WHY would you decline a non-invasive test?

blueash 03-20-2015 01:25 PM

Why is everyone playing amateur MD here? The OP went to a doctor who outlined options for evaluation and treatment. The OP described it as a sudden new symptom not a chronic problem and further that it self resolved apparently very quickly. And the expected get a new doctor advise when you don't know how good the history and exam were at excluding serious disease. Not every symptom requires thousands of dollars in tests whether invasive or not. A patient is not just a single symptom. A doctor looks at the entire picture and a good one does not order tests that are not going to change the suggested therapy. So watchful waiting was appropriate. Sometimes an MD is better than WebMD.