Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Birds of a Feather (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/birds-feather-148227/)

Villager Joyce 03-21-2015 03:09 PM

Birds of a Feather

There have been a number of threads during the past year discussing the growing number of younger people living in TV. I realize people are retiring earlier and earlier which might explain some of the influx. Being of sound mind (??) and body, I am not interested at 62 in living in an assisted living facility. Why would people in their 40s and 50s want to live in a community aimed toward retired folks. When we get together with friends, the topic of the Beatles, Bewitched, MASH, Ed Sullivan and American Bandstand come up. We also commizerate about Vietnam Nam and the Oklahoma City bombing. Birds of a feather flock together. I know I do not write as eloquently as many, but try to appreciate what I am trying to say.

graciegirl 03-21-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager Joyce (Post 1032350)
There have been a number of threads during the past year discussing the growing number of younger people living in TV. I realize people are retiring earlier and earlier which might explain some of the influx. Being of sound mind (??) and body, I am not interested at 62 in living in an assisted living facility. Why would people in their 40s and 50s want to live in a community aimed toward retired folks. When we get together with friends, the topic of the Beatles, Bewitched, MASH, Ed Sullivan and American Bandstand come up. We also commizerate about Vietnam Nam and the Oklahoma City bombing. Birds of a feather flock together. I know I do not write as eloquently as many, but try to appreciate what I am trying to say.

I do so understand. There have been several younger people post in the last few months who seem to not want to be with older people. They make a huge point of it. That isn't nice. It is a retirement community. We shouldn't have to experience age bias here. When the majority of people average age 62, it kind of hurts to read that some folks don't want to hang out with us. I don't think there is anything fuddy duddy about me and certainly not about Sweetie. I have found that there is a sixteen year old trapped inside each of the people I have met in The Villages.

In trying to explain this in a PM, I was literally cut off at the knees. It should be just common courtesy. I wouldn't expect to move into a college dorm and have everybody live like I do or change anything about them. If I were to live there, I would realize that most were very young and I would try to fit in.

It sounds silly, but it is the same. No one likes to feel left out by someone's careless attitude or words or prejudice..

No one likes to be considered old or looked down on because of their age. We certainly have never been this age before and it is new to us.

rubicon 03-21-2015 03:52 PM

Unfortunately in this age obsessed society which really began in the 1960's and becoming progressively less tolerant, has never learned to appreciate, revere or respect their elders. I can remember as a kid enjoying my conversations with elders and listening to their tales of the old days, etc.

On the other hand must admit in fairness that I have little use for the Kim Kardashian generation

Villager Joyce 03-21-2015 03:54 PM

Amen to the KK Generation. One of the retro TV stations used to list all the words you would not hear on that station. KK was on that list.

gomoho 03-21-2015 03:56 PM

Villager Joyce I really have to disagree with you. We are in our 60's and when we lived there our dearest friends were exactly 10 years older. Obviously we have current events in common but what we found was sharing experience from each of our generations was so much fun. They enjoyed our music when they can to see us and vice versa. And there is nothing more that I enjoy then sharing those same things with our now adult children. We learn so much from the way they see the world and they are finally mature enough to benefit from our experience. So give it a try and you may be amazed what we can learn and enjoy from folks of different generations.

redwitch 03-21-2015 04:03 PM

I think the age bias goes both ways. My daughter lived with me the first year we moved here. She loved talking to older generations, especially those who could have been her grandparents. Sadly, people were as unaccepting of her as many of her generation are of their elders.

As to those in their fifties and early sixties, some will happily fit in, some won't. I moved here in my early fifties and never regretted it. I had and have friends that are in their thirties, in their nineties and anything in between. I cherish them all. Those who think they should only flock with their own kind lose a lot.

Villager Joyce 03-21-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 1032381)
Villager Joyce I really have to disagree with you. We are in our 60's and when we lived there our dearest friends were exactly 10 years older. Obviously we have current events in common but what we found was sharing experience from each of our generations was so much fun. They enjoyed our music when they can to see us and vice versa. And there is nothing more that I enjoy then sharing those same things with our now adult children. We learn so much from the way they see the world and they are finally mature enough to benefit from our experience. So give it a try and you may be amazed what we can learn and enjoy from folks of different generations.

Thank you for your response. I relate much better to my friends who are in their 60s and 70s than those in their 40s and 50s. I do have a bunch of friends who are in their 30s, and they are fun and interesting. Because you asked nicely, I'm going to try to have an open mind.

patfla06 03-21-2015 04:38 PM

When you live with your peers you don't have to explain yourself
- they get it, they lived it.

Don't we all really feel like our 25 year old selves in a
"slightly older body"?
Age doesn't define us, or shouldn't.

With all the bad health that can happen to you, I consider
getting older a privilege.

Fraugoofy 03-21-2015 04:45 PM

There is a saying, "Put yourself in someone else's shoes." My partner is retiring in June at 55 and moving to TV for half of the year. The other half of the year my partner will live with me in WI. I am 9 years younger. Does that mean I can't or shouldn't be able to spend time with the person I have built my life around? While I do still work, I plan on visiting TV as much as I can to be with the love of my life. Should I be made to feel ashamed of my age for that? Please try to open your mind and your hearts to people who may not fit your exact ideal picture of a Villager! (Including me!)

PR1234 03-21-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1032390)
I think the age bias goes both ways. My daughter lived with me the first year we moved here. She loved talking to older generations, especially those who could have been her grandparents. Sadly, people were as unaccepting of her as many of her generation are of their elders.

As to those in their fifties and early sixties, some will happily fit in, some won't. I moved here in my early fifties and never regretted it. I had and have friends that are in their thirties, in their nineties and anything in between. I cherish them all. Those who think they should only flock with their own kind lose a lot.

VERY well said Redwitch!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

graciegirl 03-21-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraugoofy (Post 1032409)
There is a saying, "Put yourself in someone else's shoes." My partner is retiring in June at 55 and moving to TV for half of the year. The other half of the year my partner will live with me in WI. I am 9 years younger. Does that mean I can't or shouldn't be able to spend time with the person I have built my life around? While I do still work, I plan on visiting TV as much as I can to be with the love of my life. Should I be made to feel ashamed of my age for that? Please try to open your mind and your hearts to people who may not fit your exact ideal picture of a Villager! (Including me!)

Not shutting my mind to younger folks, just that we two had to wait for the good things, like retirement. If we had wanted to live in a truly age diverse community we would have stayed in one. I like that we are in a senior community. I feel comfortable and accepted. I still have many younger friends and feel very accepted by them.

I am glad that we don't have young children LIVING here, not that I don't adore them. They make me worry and feel the need to be very careful, backing up in a car or cart, with the pool doors, even watching what I say. I have enjoyed every second with the little ones in my class room for many years. We had the great fortune to be part of both of our grandchildren's lives and witness all events and milestones and saw them very frequently until they left for college and we left for The Villages. We still know each other so well that we consult each other on things and have mutual respect. Age being made an issue really only hurts if people are thinking you just couldn't be interesting or fun to hang out with. I would think you are interesting and fun to hang out with Fraugoofy. I always just thought of you as my age.

Fraugoofy 03-21-2015 06:03 PM

I agree with you, gracie. Age is only a number!

dbussone 03-21-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1032352)
I do so understand. There have been several younger people post in the last few months who seem to not want to be with older people. They make a huge point of it. That isn't nice. It is a retirement community. We shouldn't have to experience age bias here. When the majority of people average age 62, it kind of hurts to read that some folks don't want to hang out with us. I don't think there is anything fuddy duddy about me and certainly not about Sweetie. I have found that there is a sixteen year old trapped inside each of the people I have met in The Villages.

In trying to explain this in a PM, I was literally cut off at the knees. It should be just common courtesy. I wouldn't expect to move into a college dorm and have everybody live like I do or change anything about them. If I were to live there, I would realize that most were very young and I would try to fit in.

It sounds silly, but it is the same. No one likes to feel left out by someone's careless attitude or words or prejudice..

No one likes to be considered old or looked down on because of their age. We certainly have never been this age before and it is new to us.

I concur. But I prefer to consider myself 15.5 yo.

CFrance 03-21-2015 06:51 PM

I don't wanna be 16 again. Can I be 30 and a half? Just old enough to go to the adult pool.

Cisco Kid 03-21-2015 07:00 PM

I don't like anybody.
🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺
🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻
🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞