Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Electronic Check-in at Rec and Golf Venues (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/electronic-check-rec-golf-venues-148345/)

rhood 03-22-2015 04:37 PM

Electronic Check-in at Rec and Golf Venues

I have an image of my resident ID card on my phone. Be nice if I could use it to verify residence at Rec Centers and Exec Courses. Then I wouldn't have to carry any cards, or a wallet either.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-22-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhood (Post 1032900)
I have an image of my resident ID card on my phone. Be nice if I could use it to verify residence at Rec Centers and Exec Courses. Then I wouldn't have to carry any cards, or a wallet either.

Have you ever tried to use it?

redwitch 03-22-2015 06:55 PM

Considering how poorly the readers read our card as it is, I sincerely doubt a cellphone pic would work at all.

JoInTV 03-22-2015 07:53 PM

My neighbor tried to use an image of her ID card that she had on her IPhone at Yankee Clipper last Friday when we golfed and was told that they wouldn't accept an electronic image. So it doesn't appear that they are not equipped to deal with electronic images as yet.

kcrazorbackfan 03-22-2015 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoInTV (Post 1033023)
My neighbor tried to use an image of her ID card that she had on her IPhone at Yankee Clipper last Friday when we golfed and was told that they wouldn't accept an electronic image. So it doesn't appear that they are not equipped to deal with electronic images as yet.

Sounds like their course, their rules.

mulligan 03-23-2015 05:01 AM

Employees are instructed to accept original cards only. No images/reproductions of any kind. Can you imagine the abuse if copies were allowed ?

outlaw 03-23-2015 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhood (Post 1032900)

Or you could take your wallet and leave your phone at home....

wudda1955 03-23-2015 07:24 AM

We took the "Good Golf" class or whatever it's called. They were very emphatic that phone images of your i.d. card would NOT be accepted at any of the golf courses. Only the actual card.

justjim 03-23-2015 08:00 AM

Who owns the Executive Courses

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1033038)
Sounds like their course, their rules.

Residents I thought owned or will own the executive courses. Of course, they are managed by a management company. TV is a bit behind on using technology.

spring_chicken 03-23-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1033188)
TV is a bit behind on using technology.

So are the majority of residents. It's probably not worth their time and expense to upgrade when so few would be capable of using it.

memason 03-23-2015 08:27 AM

They won't [or can't] accept the an electronic version of your card because there are so many folks that try to abuse the system.

I could doctor up an ID in 5 minutes to be used by someone other than the owner...it's easy to do. ..and has been done and the person(s) caught.

It would be nice if The Villages would develop an app for smartphones that would produce a legit, unmodifiable, ID card for us to use. In fact, it would be nice if that card would also function like the cards on a cruise ship; where you could get billed every month for your golfing expenses and then pay once with your credit card of choice.

Maybe I'll suggest that on the survey....

billybye 03-23-2015 08:45 AM

The Recreation Centers were still using DOS system for computer year and a half ago. Really need to get with it electronically. Would save time and aggravation at time of check ins.

graciegirl 03-23-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 1033206)
They won't [or can't] accept the an electronic version of your card because there are so many folks that try to abuse the system.

I could doctor up an ID in 5 minutes to be used by someone other than the owner...it's easy to do. ..and has been done and the person(s) caught.

It would be nice if The Villages would develop an app for smartphones that would produce a legit, unmodifiable, ID card for us to use. In fact, it would be nice if that card would also function like the cards on a cruise ship; where you could get billed every month for your golfing expenses and then pay once with your credit card of choice.

Maybe I'll suggest that on the survey....

You can, but I am dubious about getting results on this one. I have noticed from day one that one of the few areas that The Morse bunch is a little behind is in this area, BUT...I often think what they have learned by interviewing and using the best civic planners and the best engineers and the best road planners and landscapers and builders and decorators and when they realized something wasn't working they made it better as they grew. I THINK they demanded and got the best and had it written in all contracts that if it needed fixing that company was on the hook. I THINK they demanded and got loyalty from the people that worked for them and if they hired crooks to work for them, it was their neck. I THINK they just aren't as savvy about electronics and they haven't found the right person who they can trust and hire and who knows how to do this stuff, right.. If you were an underhanded person and you were given this responsibility, imagine how you could profit or screw up.

I will wait. They'll get there.

No. I don't work for them.

Walter123 03-23-2015 10:50 AM

People depend on their phones way too much. Could you imagine going to check in for golf and the person in front of you going through their phone trying to find their ID. I can see that happening a lot. Keep it simple. Now if we all had a chip embedded in us like a pet..........

zcaveman 03-23-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1033217)
You can, but I am dubious about getting results on this one. I have noticed from day one that one of the few areas that The Morse bunch is a little behind is in this area, BUT...I often think what they have learned by interviewing and using the best civic planners and the best engineers and the best road planners and landscapers and builders and decorators and when they realized something wasn't working they made it better as they grew. I THINK they demanded and got the best and had it written in all contracts that if it needed fixing that company was on the hook. I THINK they demanded and got loyalty from the people that worked for them and if they hired crooks to work for them, it was their neck. I THINK they just aren't as savvy about electronics and they haven't found the right person who they can trust and hire and who knows how to do this stuff, right.. If you were an underhanded person and you were given this responsibility, imagine how you could profit or screw up.

I will wait. They'll get there.

No. I don't work for them.

I very much doubt that they are not savvy about electronics.

I believe that there too many ways to cheat with picture ID cards. What is wrong with carrying your ID card? If you want to carry a phone, slip the ID card into the carrying case.

Z