Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Birdcage Roofs ? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/birdcage-roofs-148570/)

Jamescarriker 03-24-2015 12:59 PM

Birdcage Roofs ?

Cancel thread. Solution solved.

villagetinker 03-24-2015 04:35 PM

Wow, I am amazed that an existing birdcage would support all of the weight associated with a wood and shingle roof. I would suggest you have a architect review your proposal before you proceed. I have read articles were owners have replaced the screen roof with canvas or a "water shed" screen, but in these cases you would not be adding significantly to the load of the structure. I think you would be adding significantly to the wind loading with the canvas roof. Please do some additional investigation before you proceed.

Bogie Shooter 03-24-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamescarriker (Post 1033965)
I was told that a permanent wood and shingle roof was permitted (with permission from the board) over an existing birdcage. Would like to know if anyone has ever had this done, and if you are pleased, and who did it. Thanks

Go back to the person who told you that and ask how it was done.

NYGUY 03-24-2015 10:08 PM

I asked my builder the same thing and he basically said I couldn't afford it. Of course you could not maintain the aluminum bird cage support structure. A roof would have to be engineered to work with the existing home and a new support structure....

leftyf 03-25-2015 07:25 AM

We are having an all aluminum engineered panel roof installed on our birdcage. It is a 3" thick panel with aluminum sheet laminated to both sides. It's super strong and very light weight.

graciegirl 03-25-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1034108)
Wow, I am amazed that an existing birdcage would support all of the weight associated with a wood and shingle roof. I would suggest you have a architect review your proposal before you proceed. I have read articles were owners have replaced the screen roof with canvas or a "water shed" screen, but in these cases you would not be adding significantly to the load of the structure. I think you would be adding significantly to the wind loading with the canvas roof. Please do some additional investigation before you proceed.

I so agree with villagetinker, he is one of our smartest posters.

If you want to add a screened room, or add too your screened room, that is done and can be approved by changing and adding to the roofline of your home.

goldseekur 03-25-2015 07:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We just had our birdcage expanded and made the expansion into a Lanai with a solid roof with shingles.
The company that did it was Oswald Aluminum out of Ocala. Scott is who you should talk to @352-622-5748. They did a FANTASTIC job and we love the finish product. People stop to comment on it every day.
Our house has a hip roof and 10' ceilings throughout so the roof of the Lanai had to be rather high to match the pitch needed to tie into the rest of the roof. The center support in the inside of the Lanai is 16' high.

Jamescarriker 03-25-2015 08:40 AM

Thank you so much for the reply regarding the lanai aluminium roof. This is exactly what we had in mind. Would it be possibly for us to come by and see it before we call Scott for an estimate? It's beautiful. Thanks again, Jim Carriker (jecarriker@comcast.net) or call at 352-633-7380

Villager Joyce 03-25-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldseekur;103***8
We just had our birdcage expanded and made the expansion into a Lanai with a solid roof with shingles.
The company that did it was Oswald Aluminum out of Ocala. Scott is who you should talk to @352-622-5748. They did a FANTASTIC job and we love the finish product. People stop to comment on it every day.
Our house has a hip roof and 10' ceilings throughout so the roof of the Lanai had to be rather high to match the pitch needed to tie into the rest of the roof. The center support in the inside of the Lanai is 16' high.

Beautiful. Only problem Is I would have to go back to work and that is not gonna happen

goldseekur 03-25-2015 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager Joyce (Post 1034410)
Beautiful. Only problem Is I would have to go back to work and that is not gonna happen

Actually it was not as expensive as we thought it would be. We were getting quotes of $7-11,000 for a birdcage only of this size and Oswald did this for not that much more.

asianthree 03-25-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldseekur (Post 1034510)
Actually it was not as expensive as we thought it would be. We were getting quotes of $7-11,000 for a birdcage only of this size and Oswald did this for not that much more.

What is the size of the new lanai

jimbo2012 03-25-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftyf;103***4
We are having an all aluminum engineered panel roof installed on our birdcage. It is a 3" thick panel with aluminum sheet laminated to both sides. It's super strong and very light weight.

If you are doing it with permits you still need matching roof shingles over the alum.

Barefoot 03-25-2015 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldseekur;103***8

Nicely done - I didn't know this was possible - I learned something today!
TOTV is a great source of new information.

jerseyvillager 03-26-2015 09:40 AM

For leftyf:

Who is installing this roof for you?

goldseekur 03-26-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1034522)
What is the size of the new lanai

15' x 25'