Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   7,000 animals? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/7-000-animals-148637/)

jimbo2012 03-25-2015 05:42 AM

7,000 animals?

The average meat eating person eats 7,000 animals in their life time.

or 70 billion a year are killed for food

The number is staggering, but that's where YOU come in.

Choose vegetarian/vegan and help bring this number down

https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...67357569_o.jpg

graciegirl 03-25-2015 07:08 AM

I am very fond of you Jimbo. Just eat what is on your plate and don't pay any attention to your sisters and brothers plates. Be grateful there is food and don't start something. We are all tender hearted enough.

shcisamax 03-25-2015 07:18 AM

What I found astounding is the amount of water it takes to bring an animal to slaughter. According to the article below, we need to seriously consider our future use of limited resources required to support meat production. Very interesting read.

Meat’s large water footprint: why raising livestock and poultry for meat is so resource-intensive | FoodTank.com

fred53 03-25-2015 07:21 AM

The earth is 70 percent water...give or take...

Bay Kid 03-25-2015 08:11 AM

Cows, chickens and sheep eat corn, grass, etc. So I must be a vegetarian?

TNLAKEPANDA 03-25-2015 08:14 AM

If you eat a vegetarian are you still a meat eater?

Arctic Fox 03-25-2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred53;103***0
The earth is 70 percent water...give or take...

Around 70% of the surface is covered with water, but that's not the same as its composition

Just 2.5% of the Earth's water is fresh, and two thirds of that is locked up in glaciers and ice caps.

shcisamax 03-25-2015 09:09 AM

The earth may be 70% but 97% of that water is salt. They have already built a $1 billion plant in southern california to desalinate and are charging the population $5 a month for their water.
It isn't going to affect us but as the saying goes: The world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children.

dewilson58 03-25-2015 09:13 AM

Eat more pickles.

(Hey, that's three words............I'm going to the other thread!!)

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-25-2015 09:21 AM

For thousands of years man has been eating animals. In the Bible, God instructs people to kill and burn animals. All of the people in the Bible ate animals including Jesus. Why, all of a sudden in the past 60 years or so, are we supposed to change this? I believe that God put animals on this earth to nourish his people.

TheVillageChicken 03-25-2015 09:21 AM

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?"

Homer Simpson

We need to get the word out to the cats.

jimbo2012 03-25-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1034395)
Why, all of a sudden in the past 60 years or so, are we supposed to change this? I believe that God put animals on this earth to nourish his people.

Simple statistics show that there is a direct link to disease and death not only from meat but the way they are treated with drugs for starters.

We now know a meat-heavy diet contains the equivalent of 2 1/2 pounds of saturated fat a week!

Fact!
World War II provided a graphic example of how the ravages of these diseases could be totally halted. Norway was one of several western European nations occupied by Nazi Germany during the conflict between 1939 through 1945. The Germans removed all animal livestock from these occupied countries. The native population subsisted on whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruit. Almost immediately death from heart attacks and strokes in Norway plummeted. With the cessation of hostilities in 1945 animal products became available as well as an immediate return to the prewar levels of deaths from these illnesses.

your second comment "God put animals on this earth to nourish his people"

I think he also put plants ie vegetables on earth also to nourish his people, but it is up to to you to choose which to be nourished by.

It was never in his plan to factory raise, torture and abuse these living creatures.

tuccillo 03-25-2015 11:01 AM

There is some compelling research that indicates that a plant based diet can have a significant impact on reducing heart disease and cancer. While we do fall off the wagon occasionally, my wife has pretty much switched us over to a vegetarian diet. One of my favorites is a "tuna salad" made from garbanzo beans.

One way to think about this is your life expectancy without civilization would be much shorter. So short, on average, that diseases such as heart blockages and cancer never develop in the average person. People are living much longer because of modern medicine - viruses, infections from wounds, and broken bones are no longer fatal, as well as dramatically decreased infant mortality. People are living so long that heart disease and cancer now have a chance to develop. A plant based diet appears to be an effective way to combat those diseases as you age. Prevention is always better than treatment.

Quote:

For thousands of years man has been eating animals. In the Bible, God instructs people to kill and burn animals. All of the people in the Bible ate animals including Jesus. Why, all of a sudden in the past 60 years or so, are we supposed to change this? I believe that God put animals on this earth to nourish his people.

graciegirl 03-25-2015 11:13 AM

I appreciate your kind thoughts as I appreciate prayers. I try not to what is that word that starts with P???????..prosellalize or something like that. Live and let live and wish for good things for others. Here it is; http://www.audioenglish.org/dictionary/proselytize.htm

You can't teach many old dogs new tricks. Care for a carrot?

shcisamax 03-25-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

In the Bible, God instructs people to kill and burn animals. All of the people in the Bible ate animals including Jesus.

Not to be contrary but I believe stoning was advised in the bible as well but we have outgrown that thinking. It also said pork was prohibited but I doubt many follow that either.

We should just use our heads and make considered choices and not just thinking how yummy that tastes. Although, I will be really upset if dark chocolate starts getting bad press.