Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   America's Fastest Growing City: TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/americas-fastest-growing-city-tv-148838/)

mgcsooner 03-26-2015 12:06 PM

America's Fastest Growing City: TV

Covered in morning paper and in link below on cbbc. Time for COSTCO!
The Villages, FL

rubicon 03-26-2015 01:13 PM

America's fastest growing city. I am just over joyed:mad:

graciegirl 03-26-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1035062)
America's fastest growing city. I am just over joyed:mad:

I can see why people want to move here. I am glad you and Mrs. Rubicon are here.

2BNTV 03-26-2015 01:50 PM

It just reaffirms that 105,639 people can't be wrong. :smiley:

I am so happy that I took a leap of faith as I never checked any other retirement communities out and knew TV was for me!!! One of the best things to happen to me, is when a friend invited me down, for a visit.

The "Best" section stated TV was the 2014 adult active community of the year, by "55 Places" by offering an endless array of opportunities to enjoy favorite pastimes. Every amenity imaginable, can be found.

As a friend of mine says, "what is there, not to love".

I didn't think a place like this existed in the USA because it's out of this world. :D

Blessed2BNTV 03-26-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 1035083)
It just reaffirms that 105,639 people can't be wrong. :smiley:

I am so happy that I took a leap of faith as I never checked any other retirement communities out and knew TV was for me!!! One of the best things to happen to me, is when a friend invited me down, for a visit.

The "Best" section stated TV was the 2014 adult active community of the year, by "55 Places" by offering an endless array of opportunities to enjoy favorite pastimes. Every amenity imaginable, can be found.

As a friend of mine says, "what is there, not to love".

I didn't think a place like this existed in the USA because it's out of this world. :D

Sometimes over analysis can lead to paralysis. So glad we picked TV quickly!

Wish there was a like button for your post Joe!

queasy27 03-26-2015 03:40 PM

One of the comments from that article made me laugh:

I am what is referred to as a "senior citizen"; in any event, 2 of our married contemporaries spent a week at "The Villages" and returned home only to describe what sounded eerily like an episode from the old Patrick McGoohan series, "The Prisoner". They described an ersatz, fabricated, euphoric theme-park that permeated every waking (& sleeping) moment of its inhabitants. A care-free, idyllic creation that vehemently eschewed any and all incursions or challenges to its ethos from the "outside" world.

Needless to say, when they returned home, they were relieved to have escaped.

I live here so don't agree, but opposing viewpoints are always welcome!

jflynn1 03-26-2015 03:45 PM

The Villages IS NOT a City. It is a Community Development. Just like Plantation, Glen Lakes, Arlington Ridge, Stonecrest, Del Web,. Just Bigger......

Polar Bear 03-26-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflynn1 (Post 1035165)
The Villages IS NOT a City. It is a Community Development. Just like Plantation, Glen Lakes, Arlington Ridge, Stonecrest, Del Web,. Just Bigger......

The article is about "metro areas". A more generic term. TV qualifies, regardless of the form of government.

JoMar 03-26-2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1035194)
The article is about "metro areas". A more generic term. TV qualifies, regardless of the form of government.

Which is what most corporations use to develop their marketing strategies and identify where they will locate not withstanding economics, competition, access and a bunch of there stuff.

NYGUY 03-26-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflynn1 (Post 1035165)

You are right, The Villages is not a city as defined by the state of Florida. But it is also different than those other areas because the article was referring to The Villages Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) which includes The Villages (the central core) and surrounding areas where The Villages exercises a significant economic impact. This stuff is all determined by The Office of Management and Budget in concert with The Census Bureau. It is not just "The Villages" as we know it.

Abby10 03-26-2015 08:56 PM

My aunt just emailed me this article this evening from the NY Times. Seems like The Villages is getting a lot of publicity today!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/27...?referrer&_r=0

circletrack 03-26-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGUY (Post 1035344)
You are right, The Villages is not a city as defined by the state of Florida. But it is also different than those other areas because the article was referring to The Villages Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) which includes The Villages (the central core) and surrounding areas where The Villages exercises a significant economic impact. This stuff is all determined by The Office of Management and Budget in concert with The Census Bureau. It is not just "The Villages" as we know it.

Yep, 84,000 of the 114,000 in The Villages MSA are Villagers. I think that speaks for itself. And TV MSA does not include Lake or Marion counties, where another 20,000 Villagers live.

The region should bask in the glow while it lasts. It will eventually slow, but is still quite a remarkable feat.

Greg Nelson 03-27-2015 05:39 AM

I think the whole Northeast is relocating to Florida!

Taltarzac725 03-27-2015 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgcsooner (Post 1035033)
Covered in morning paper and in link below on cbbc. Time for COSTCO!
The Villages, FL

Thanks for the link.

kcrazorbackfan 03-27-2015 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Nelson (Post 1035462)
I think the whole Northeast is relocating to Florida!

I would not blame them after this winter.