Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Comcast vs What??? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/comcast-vs-what-149143/)

Diva Kay 03-28-2015 03:49 PM

Comcast vs What???

I am in my final month of a two year contract with Comcast for all three services. I need to switch elsewhere for a monthly saving of at least $100 per month.
Was thinking of Direct TV for television and possibly Century Line for internet and home phone.

Pros & Cons on this please?

Thanks.

Kahuna32162 03-28-2015 04:01 PM

We use Dish for TV, had centurylink for Internet only, but dropped because they could not deliver the kinds of speeds they promised. We now use Comcast for Internet only, 29.99 a month. We use cell phones only

kellyjam 03-28-2015 04:06 PM

For TV have Directv Comcast internet $39.99 50MPS and Ooma for home phone $3 a month works great.

jebartle 03-28-2015 04:15 PM

I feel your pain with Comcast

If you go Direct-tv, any of your TOTV friends can get you $100 off sign-up, which also gives us $100 off our bill..(.We pay $80 for TV)

I use Magic Jack $29.95 a year for phone after initial purchase at Walmart for unit (approx. $60)

I STILL have Comcast for internet at $39.95, hoping to find another carrier.

Hope this helps.

Avista 03-28-2015 05:32 PM

We have Dish TV and Comcast for Internet.

Diva Kay 03-28-2015 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback.

Figuringitout 03-28-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva Kay (Post 1036406)
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback.

We have Direct TV and they said they had a bundle with Century Link, the pricing we were given was one thing but when all was said and done it was much higher, and they send you everything in the mail and you install it all, they just turn the service on. I would suggest not getting your phone and internet through Century Link our bill is $89 a month and the internet service is awful. I am in the process of changing the service to Comcast. I am happy with Direct but I think you get better pricing with the Comcast bundle. That is my two cents.

onslowe 03-28-2015 09:09 PM

We are looking to switch from Comcast for tv and go with Directv. We'd stay with Comcast for internet and phone for now.

Thank you to all of the TOTV posters who have taken the time to 'flesh out' the overall situation and choices.

Can someone tell me how complicated or burdensome is the getting rid of Comcast for tv and setting up Directv. This is a kind of important consideration. Thanks very much! :)

jojo 03-28-2015 09:21 PM

We just switched from Comcast to Direct TV but stayed with Comcast for Internet and phone although we want to explore other phone options. We like Direct TV so far.

PPLEPEU 03-28-2015 11:22 PM

You are in an area served by Bright House Networks. I've had them since January and am very pleased. Good signal, good set top boxes, and a good suspension program for us snowbirds. Nice.

asianthree 03-29-2015 01:44 AM

I would look at bright house

jebartle 03-29-2015 04:26 AM

I've heard good things about Brighthouse

If you are in that area you should check Brighthouse out over Direct-Tv IMHO...Direct-TV coverage during storms will be intermittent on occasions...When you return cable boxes to Comcast, office is on 27/441 across from Walmart, make sure you get receipt...My problem with Comcast is their ever changing bill that you must fight on a monthly basis. Although I must say since the bill only consists of internet service, I have not had a problem.

jblum315 03-29-2015 06:37 AM

I have that combination, Direct TV and CenturyLink for internet and phone, and it works for me and is about $100 cheaper than what I had before. I think CenturyLink owns Direcr TV but I'm not sure.

Bavarian 03-29-2015 03:05 PM

TV - DirecTv
Internet - Comcast
Phone - Vonage

CraigC 03-29-2015 05:39 PM

Centurylink

We've had Centurylink TV (Prism) and internet service for a year and a half, and it has been excellent at a very good price. Centurylink is great if you are in the area just north of 466A and further south. Service in those areas is provided by fiber optic to the house. The areas to the north are fed with copper wire (not coax) which is good for phone service, but not very good for internet or TV. You may want to call them to see if your neighborhood has fiber to the house. If it does, they are an excellent choice.