Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   The Sharon (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sharon-149151/)

aln 03-28-2015 05:22 PM

The Sharon

Have you seen it yet??

The Villages Vmail - April 2015 - Home

judebarsto 03-28-2015 06:40 PM

OMG, Patti Lupone???? Really?! Does anyone else know how amazing that is? I'm back north, and renting out my new home, still working, but I'd kill to go to that concert!! Wonder what the ticket prices will be, and how they will be distributed? I'd also love to know how they got her!

LittleDog 03-28-2015 06:41 PM

I play in The Villages Concert Band and would love to play in the Sharon. However, I have a feeling that we will be "stuck" in the Savannah Center for eternity.

John

gomoho 03-28-2015 07:08 PM

Proof they do pay attention to the annual surveys. How many times was a large venue requested to bring in headline performers. What a wonderful addition to The Villages.

sunnyatlast 03-28-2015 07:24 PM

It's a gift from the Morse family that emphasizes the importance of music, dance and all performing arts here. They are here to stay, and that's a good thing!

capecoralbill 03-28-2015 07:28 PM

I am stoked, finally a decent venue. The Savannah is an embarrassment.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-28-2015 07:55 PM

I'm a big fan of this developer, but I think that this is possibly the worst move hey've ever made. There is not enough parking around Spanish Springs Town Square as it is. How do they expect to have parking for the 1,000 or so additional people that are going to attend these events.

Rumors are out there that they are going to cancel the live entertainment on the square on the night of events in the Morse Center. if that happens I see massive protests.

I say tear it down and increase the parking areas.

I'm also disappointed that they didn't build a much bigger venue in another location so that they might attract some real big names. I'd love to see Eric Clapton or James Taylor come here. Ringo and his All Starrs also play in 10,000 seat venues.

Patti Lupone?? Really? I wouldn't go to see her for free.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of the developer. I think that what they have done here is nothing short of miraculous, but I think that they blew it on this one.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-28-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 1036398)
Proof they do pay attention to the annual surveys. How many times was a large venue requested to bring in headline performers. What a wonderful addition to The Villages.

What kind of "headline performers" are they going to attract with a 1,000 seat venue? It's not a lot bigger then the Savannah Center with less parking.

Big mistake.

sunnyatlast 03-28-2015 08:06 PM

For parking, maybe they have a plan to shuttle people from other parking areas nearby, or maybe they plan to build a parking deck.

They know how to do this. Just wait.

JoMar 03-28-2015 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=Dr Winston O Boogie jr;1036417]What kind of "headline performers" are they going to attract with a 1,000 seat venue? It's not a lot bigger then the Savannah Center with less parking.

It all comes down to cost......the "headliner" has a price and doesn't care if it"s a 1000 seat or 10,000 seat venue. I suspect the ticket prices will reflect that and I believe there are plenty of us willing to pay to see good entertainment. For those that don't want to pay the price, or park and walk (although I'm sure someone will figure out how to save parking spaces, it is SS isn't it) they don't need to attend. There will always be other venues for entertainment they enjoy. It's like everything else Villages, not everything is for everybody. They provide us with choices and we determine what we will support. The Sharon will live or die by the support it receives from us. I for one am excited it is here, my concern is will I be fast enough to get tickets.

Mikeod 03-28-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1036415)
I'm a big fan of this developer, but I think that this is possibly the worst move hey've ever made. There is not enough parking around Spanish Springs Town Square as it is. How do they expect to have parking for the 1,000 or so additional people that are going to attend these events.

Rumors are out there that they are going to cancel the live entertainment on the square on the night of events in the Morse Center. if that happens I see massive protests.

I'm also disappointed that they didn't build a much bigger venue in another location so that they might attract some real big names. I'd love to see Eric Clapton or James Taylor come here. Ringo and his All Starrs also play in 10,000 seat venues.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of the developer. I think that what they have done here is nothing short of miraculous, but I think that they blew it on this one.

Sort of reminds me of the old commercial I hated. The lady gets a new Wittnauer watch and remarks "I was really hoping for a Longine's". The new center is a dramatic upgrade from the Savannah center and will provide for more elaborate productions and more comfortable seating and better sound quality. It is golf cart accessible which will help with parking and they certainly could add a valet option to help as well. And it was paid for by the Morse family. I consider it a gift to the residents and the recognition that the Savannah center, while fine when the community was much smaller, is no longer adequate.

Acts such as you describe will always choose Orlando where they can book more shows over multiple days and still fill a large venue when they come to Central Florida.

Sorry you're disappointed. Might want to wait and see what is presented there.

circletrack 03-28-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

I disagree about parking in SS. There's tons of parking, often unused behind the Rialto and hotel, and also behind the bowling alley.
No, you won't be getting a front row spot, but the square is not that big.

I do wish it was a bit larger than 1,000 seats, but it looks amazing from the video. And they will have no problem getting plenty of high profile acts and 2nd run broadway shows. But with limited seating, the prices will likely be premium.

I also believe these rumors about square entertainment being cancelled are completely false. So there will be no need to riot.

DougB 03-28-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

I'm also disappointed that they didn't build a much bigger venue in another location so that they might attract some real big names. I'd love to see Eric Clapton or James Taylor come here. Ringo and his All Starrs also play in
10,000 seat venues.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of the developer. I think that what they have done
here is nothing short of miraculous, but I think that they blew it on this one.

Ringo and his Allstar Band played in the King Center in Melbourne a few months ago. King Center only holds 2,000.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-28-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1036432)
Ringo and his Allstar Band played in the King Center in Melbourne a few months ago. King Center only holds 2,000.

That's twice as big as what we have. I doubt that he'll ever come here.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-28-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circletrack (Post 1036429)
I disagree about parking in SS. There's tons of parking, often unused behind the Rialto and hotel, and also behind the bowling alley.
No, you won't be getting a front row spot, but the square is not that big.

I do wish it was a bit larger than 1,000 seats, but it looks amazing from the video. And they will have no problem getting plenty of high profile acts and 2nd run broadway shows. But with limited seating, the prices will likely be premium.

I also believe these rumors about square entertainment being cancelled are completely false. So there will be no need to riot.

Yea, that's what I want. Come to the square for an evening of free entertainment and have to take a shuttle from my parking space. This is a bad place for this. The square is already over crowded with not enough parking.