Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Uncollected Dog Waste (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/uncollected-dog-waste-149291/)

robbroyy 03-29-2015 04:25 PM

Uncollected Dog Waste

We live in a house that backs up to a cart path with a grass median. I don't know how many times I have seen people bring their dog in their golf cart and let them out to take care of their business...leaving a pile of dog waste behind that is not picked up by the owner.

Is there a rule/law against this? It is disgusting!

village dreamer 03-29-2015 04:46 PM

im with robbroyy on this one, you have a dog pick it up , you don't want to pick it up don't have a dog.

Mikeod 03-29-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbroyy (Post 1036838)
We live in a house that backs up to a cart path with a grass median. I don't know how many times I have seen people bring their dog in their golf cart and let them out to take care of their business...leaving a pile of dog waste behind that is not picked up by the owner.

Unfortunately, this happens because a small minority of dog owners don't pick up after their pets. The subject has generated untold numbers of angry posts between those who are affected by uncollected pet waste and those who responsibly pick up after their pets and are upset at what they feel is a blanket condemnation of pet owners.

My best advice is to either confront these people nicely about their responsibility to pick up after their pet. (It is a district requirement.) Or contact the district and let them know what is going on. They have, in the past, had someone go to such places to monitor the situation and advise pet owners of their responsibility.

lanemb 03-29-2015 05:19 PM

Take a picture of them without saying anything. Humiliation does wonders.

gomoho 03-29-2015 05:40 PM

When you see them go out with a bag, hand it to them, and kindly say "don't you just hate when that happens"!

Cisco Kid 03-29-2015 05:47 PM

:a20:

Laurie2 03-29-2015 05:49 PM

There is a rest stop along I-75, not far from TV. There are several officially posted signs there that say Beware of Venomous Snakes.........Maybe you could find out where they got them. -- the signs NOT the snakes.

Power-of-Suggestion Laurie

WhatinthehellamIdoinginadogpoopthread??? -- It is time to step away from the iPad.

wisbad1 03-29-2015 07:15 PM

some have turned area behind "Ike"sports pool into a dog exercise yard ,no leash. when people are walking,dogs are running loose free to poop anywhere,

gerryann 03-29-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

The title of your post is great "uncollected dog waste"..... So much nicer than the "poop" threads.
What you really need to do is...confront them. nicely, not confrontational. There are so many responsible dog owners here in TV that it just upsets us so when we hear of these selfish, irresponsible, immature pet owners that feel they have the right to leave their dogs deposit anywhere! It's terribly wrong!! I am one of the responsible ones. I ALWAYS pick up after my pup. When I moved in to a new neighborhood, I even started picking up after other dogs...but then I realized I was fighting a losing battle. Therefore, I confront the no-gooders and I really think you should do the same. I also like the idea of taking their picture...be sure they know you are doing so.

KeepingItReal 03-29-2015 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1036844)
Unfortunately, this happens because a small minority of dog owners don't pick up after their pets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryann (Post 1036944)
I ALWAYS pick up after my pup. When I moved in to a new neighborhood, I even started picking up after other dogs...but then I realized I was fighting a losing battle. .

Quotes seem to clearly contradict each other that there are very few that don't pick up.

There seems to be a lot more dog owners that do not pick up after their pets than most want to admit. If the numbers were truly so small it would not be such a recurring problem.

gerryann 03-29-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepingItReal (Post 1036954)
Quotes seem to clearly contradict each other that there are very few that don't pick up.

There seems to be a lot more dog owners that do not pick up after their pets than most want to admit. If the numbers were truly so small it would not be such a recurring problem.

The problem seems to be worse when the population explodes....like NOW. Unfortunately, some of the folks who are only here for a short period of time, don't care as much as the full timers. If one does not have a real interest in their neighborhood, they are not going to take as well care of it.

I managed RV resorts for many years. The folks that lived full time and the snowbirds always took care of the property and picked up after the pets. The folks that were in the park for short periods didn't care and let the dogs go anywhere without picking up. Also, when folks walk their dog at night without a flashlight....its a dead giveaway that they have no intention of picking up.

kcrazorbackfan 03-29-2015 08:48 PM

:eek: Here we go again!

When I'm there and walk my "girls", I always take several bags to pick up theirs and others who "seem to forget to". Just trying to do my part on keeping TV beautiful. I put it in a covered 5 gallon bucket that has a trash bag in it and put it out on trash days. My bride went to get the mail the other day and said the trash containers there reeked of dog poop; of course, there are signs posted to not put the poop in them. Must be the same people doing that who can't fix divots in the tee boxes, fairways and greens. :rant-rave:

billethkid 03-29-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepingItReal (Post 1036954)

The number is small.....a very insignificant minority. If there are only 2% of owners it is a recurring problem of significance.

When there is no enforcement there will always be violators....and fortunately it is always a minority that take advantage of the rest of us.

That minority also gets all the press. The majority loses another one!

sunnyatlast 03-29-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Note that they are transporting the dog to somebody else's property (the community's property) to keep their own yard dung-free.

Ideally, witnesses ought to pick it up and follow them home with the bag of it, to ask them where in their front yard they'd like it dumped, for best appearance and aroma in the sun. But I doubt it would awaken their conscience. People who have no shame don't admit to wrongdoing.

Bonanza 03-30-2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanemb (Post 1036865)
Take a picture of them without saying anything. Humiliation does wonders.

I would walk out of my house and in no uncertain terms, remind them that a golf course is not a septic tank.
The nerve of anyone who does that!

Taking a photo is a good idea.
And don't forget to post in here on this forum. As they say -- a picture's worth a thousand words!