Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Healthiest Hometown just a marketing slogan? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/healthiest-hometown-just-marketing-slogan-149554/)

Villages PL 03-31-2015 04:01 PM

Healthiest Hometown just a marketing slogan?

The previous thread got closed after lots of people gave misinformation about the slogan "America's Healthiest Hometown".

No, it's not just a marketing slogan. USF Health did a "scientific" survey. Remember the survey? Then we were compared with other similar communities around the country and based on that survey they determined that we are America's Healthiest Hometown. Supposedly, it had nothing to do with marketing. It had to do with The Villages/USF Health alliance and a Villages pilot project to learn how to deliver better healthcare . Its a project for which they received lots of federal grant money and they will likely continue to receive grant money in the future. There's another "scientific" survey coming up later this year and it will be paid for with federal grant money as well. It's an ongoing project.

The problem is: It was a scam and not scientific, as you now know, because we are only ranked 7th for health factors and 27th for health outcomes in Florida. If we are not even the healthiest in Florida, one can only imagine how we rank nationally.

Polar Bear 03-31-2015 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1037869)
The previous thread got closed after lots of people gave misinformation about the slogan "America's Healthiest Hometown".

No, it's not just a marketing slogan. USF Health did a "scientific" survey. Remember the survey? Then we were compared with other similar communities around the country and based on that survey they determined that we are America's Healthiest Hometown. Supposedly, it had nothing to do with marketing. It had to do with The Villages/USF Health alliance and a Villages pilot project to deliver better healthcare . Its a project for which they received lots of federal grant money and they will likely continue to receive grant money in the future.

The problem is: It was a scam and not scientific, as you now know, because we are only ranked 7th for health factors and 27th for health outcomes in Florida.

Yes, it is just a marketing slogan.

(After I'm sufficiently chastised and corrected by the OP, please close this thread too. [emoji120] )

Villages PL 03-31-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1037871)
Yes, it is just a marketing slogan.

(After I'm sufficiently chastised and corrected by the OP, please close this thread too. [emoji120] )

The developer used it as a marketing slogan but it was based on a faulty USF Health study. A study paid for with our money - a federal grant.

villagerjack 03-31-2015 04:22 PM

Close it.,

Mleeja 03-31-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

No, it's not just a marketing slogan. USF Health did a "scientific" survey. Remember the survey? Then we were compared with other similar communities around the country and based on that survey they determined that we are America's Healthiest Hometown. Supposedly, it had nothing to do with marketing. It had to do with The Villages/USF Health alliance and a Villages pilot project to learn how to deliver better healthcare . Its a project for which they received lots of federal grant money and they will likely continue to receive grant money in the future. There's another "scientific" survey coming up later this year and it will be paid for with federal grant money as well. It's an ongoing project.

The problem is: It was a scam and not scientific, as you now know, because we are only ranked 7th for health factors and 27th for health outcomes in Florida. If we are not even the healthiest in Florida, one can only imagine how we rank nationally.

I have followed the closed post and this one and I still do not understand the purpose of the original posting. What is the point to be made here? Just bashing TV? Has the OP feel they have been decieved? In my not so humble opinion, the posting is just a waste of time and should be closed again.

Villages PL 03-31-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagerjack (Post 1037878)
Close it.,

Anyone who interferes with the purpose of a thread should be banned from this website.

Mleeja 03-31-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1037894)
Anyone who interferes with the purpose of a thread should be banned from this website.

I ask again, what is the purpose? I sure don't see one.

Villages PL 03-31-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1037893)
I have followed the closed post and this one and I still do not understand the purpose of the original posting. What is the point to be made here? Just bashing TV? Has the OP feel they have been decieved? In my not so humble opinion, the posting is just a waste of time and should be closed again.

If you haven't figured out the purpose by now, it's not likely that you ever will. It's not about bashing TV.

Mleeja 03-31-2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1037900)
If you haven't figured out the purpose by now, it's not likely that you ever will. It's not about bashing TV.

I went back and reread the first thead to make sure I didn't miss something. Ok, you quote some statastics, we get that? But why did you feel the need to make the post in the first place? It appears to be nothing more than bashing TV.

dbussone 03-31-2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1037873)
The developer used it as a marketing slogan but it was based on a faulty USF Health study. A study paid for with our money - a federal grant.

You don't have a clue - do you?

tuccillo 03-31-2015 05:21 PM

Do you realize that this is trolling?

Quote:

Bonanza 03-31-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1037896)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1037900)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1037918)
I went back and reread the first thead to make sure I didn't miss something. Ok, you quote some statastics, we get that? But why did you feel the need to make the post in the first place? It appears to be nothing more than bashing TV.

Yes, VPL . . . Me thinks it is you, not others, who don't get it.

Another request -- please close this thread!

Barefoot 03-31-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

The previous thread got closed after lots of people gave misinformation about the slogan "America's Healthiest Hometown". No, it's not just a marketing slogan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1037893)

Quote:

It's a marketing slogan.
You've now started a second thread on the same topic - why can't you acccept that it's a marketing slogan and move on?
What are you trying to achieve? :confused:

perrjojo 03-31-2015 07:39 PM

I don't think it was a scam... I always viewed it as a goal..a very worthy goal! America's healthiest home town is a goal and being 7th is an improvement.

dbussone 03-31-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perrjojo (Post 1037988)
I don't think it was a scam... I always viewed it as a goal..a very worthy goal! America's healthiest home town is a goal and being 7th is an improvement.

Well said.

Cisco Kid 03-31-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Have you ever had a CAT scan ?

circletrack 03-31-2015 07:50 PM

I'm sorry, but this was a slogan created BEFORE the survey was ever conducted. It is absolutely not a claim made based on the survey results.

The goal of the USF/TV partnership was to research the community, conduct a survey, hold forums on healthy living and health care with the GOAL of becoming Americas Healthiest Hometown.
From an article BEFORE the survey was ever conducted:

"Nothing is more important to a senior than his or her health,” said Gary Morse, developer of The Villages. "We've been searching for a creative, forward-thinking university partner to work with local health care providers, study our community and bring us innovative ideas that will enhance the health enjoyed by retirees. We want to create America's healthiest hometown.”

The Villages Joins with USF Health to Create America's Healthiest Hometown - USF Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Society

villagerjack 03-31-2015 07:55 PM

The name of this website is Talk of the Villages. Some think it is BASH THE VILLAGES and seem to have made a sport of frequently trying to tweak others and seems to get some joy out of it. From my standpoint it is very annoying and makes the visit to this site less enjoyable.

villagerjack 03-31-2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circletrack (Post 1037997)
I'm sorry, but this was a slogan created BEFORE the survey was ever conducted. It is absolutely not a claim made based on the survey results.

The goal of the USF/TV partnership was to research the community, conduct a survey, hold forums on healthy living and health care with the GOAL of becoming Americas Healthiest Hometown.
From an article BEFORE the survey was ever conducted:

"Nothing is more important to a senior than his or her health,” said Gary Morse, developer of The Villages. "We've been searching for a creative, forward-thinking university partner to work with local health care providers, study our community and bring us innovative ideas that will enhance the health enjoyed by retirees. We want to create America's healthiest hometown.”

The Villages Joins with USF Health to Create America's Healthiest Hometown - USF Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Society

Thank you.

dewilson58 03-31-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

You are learning............don't play the game........it's a game.

dbussone 03-31-2015 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 1037994)
Have you ever had a CAT scan ?

Or even a DOG scan?

Mleeja 03-31-2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagerjack (Post 1038001)
The name of this website is Talk of the Villages. Some think it is BASH THE VILLAGES and seem to have made a sport of frequently trying to tweak others and seems to get some joy out of it. From my standpoint it is very annoying and makes the visit to this site less enjoyable.

We agree on:
1. Some bashing TV
2. Makes visiting the site less enjoyable

The topic in this thread is not well defined. The OP (and I know who i am responding to.) seems to be bashing TV or some veiled criticism of the developer. The OP will not state their real purpose....

I have read other post by the OP and they are much the same. Statements or paragraphs with a few facts, but very little direction or substance. I believe an earlier post in the thread referred to the OP as trolling. Spot on assesment.

circletrack 03-31-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagerjack (Post 1038005)
Thank you.

You are welcome. I try to step in when I can with facts. Especially in this case when the claim is completely false and not just a matter of opinion.