Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Mahjong (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/mahjong-14967/)

Avista 07-09-2008 02:07 PM

Mahjong

Does anyone know where in The Villages this game is taught? I see it is played quite a bit, and I'd love to learn it.

villages07 07-09-2008 02:51 PM

Re: Mahjong

Avista,

Laurel Manor on Tuesdays at 11; Chula Vista on Friday at noon....both places have open play as well as an individual giving beginner lessons. The challenge there is that a first time beginner knows far less than someone who has been there 3 or 4 weeks in a row so everyone at the lesson table is starting from a different point. But, it seems to work. There may be other sessions...check out the rec news to see where else speaks of lessons.

I signed up for beginner mahjong class through the Lifelong Learning College. 6 weeks, 2 hrs a week, for about $60. The instructor, Harriet Bender, is excellent (a retired school teacher and quite a mahong expert). She really starts with the basics and it is a nice gradual introduction to the game, strategy, etc. By week 3 you are playing a real game. It sure has been a great introduction for me.

It's a fun game...good luck to you.

chelsea24 07-09-2008 03:14 PM

Avista, I have to put in a plug for Joan, the instructor at Chula Vista. She's there at noon every Friday. She's been a villager for 19 years and has the patience of an angel. It's completely free and she volunteers her time and wow is she good. Sweetest woman you'll ever meet. Give it a try. I'm hopelessly addicted! :bigthumbsup:

Avista 07-09-2008 03:53 PM

Thank you, Thank you, That's just what I wanted to know.

samhass 07-09-2008 03:56 PM

Avista, you're going to love mah jong!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

barb1191 07-09-2008 08:58 PM

Does anybody play live games on Yahoo Games? I've become addicted to bridge, cribbage, and mah jong solitaire. These games are played live with people from all over the world. So much fun.

www.yahoo games.com

barb

ouma1938 07-09-2008 10:57 PM

Oh dear, now I am even more anxious to sell this house and get to TV. I played Mahjong a hundred years ago and have forgotten everything but would LOVE too get back into it. Come on St.Joseph, bring me a buyer, puleeze.

Barb 1191, I play solitaire Mahjong on the computer but have never tried an online game. I'll have to check it out. And once again, a big THANK YOU to the administrators for giving us such a wonderful website to learn new things and make terrirfic new friends.

Avista 07-09-2008 11:56 PM

Hi Barb, I have played those games also. Have had fun, but am uncomfortable with a partner. This is one of the reasons I thought I might like Mahjong.

I play a lot of Pinochle and Canasta on line against the Computer.

MSNPA 07-10-2008 01:57 PM

I am addicted to playing Mahjong on the computer. Everyday I usually read new topics on TOTV and then play Mahjong. If I get my nerve up I think I will go to one of the Rec Centers to see/learn how the game is played in a group.

bogart 07-10-2008 07:17 PM

One of my goals for my retirement life was to learn how to play bridge..........and this has become a very humbling experience. After a few years and lessons, I still consider myself a novice or perhaps an advanced novice. One of my bridge friends said that she enjoyed mah jongg more than bridge so thanks to Harriet and Joan, I'm now a mah jongg addict! Both games are great for our brain cells but I enjoy mah jongg because you play your own hand and don't have to worry about communicating with a partner. Also, your
hand is hidden so seldom does anyone know when you screw up! We sometimes play with three people which is almost as much fun as with four.

Since we're snowbirds, I was concerned about finding mah jongg here in Colorado but found that it's becoming quite popular ------ lessons available and games at the local rec centers. Now I've got several of my friends playing. They love it and have purchased their sets. Several bike to mah jongg which satisfies their physical, mental and social needs quickly..........wish I could say that I was one of them!

Hope to play mah jongg with some TOTV'ers when I return.

Coconuts 09-20-2008 02:14 PM

Me, too; me, too

I've wanted to learn to play mah jong ever since I read (and watched) The Joy Luck Club. Have had no luck finding anyone to play with here in RI. Some folks want to learn but no one to get us started. I can't wait to get to TV and get at it. Meanwhile I'll just have to keep playing mah jong solitaire on the computer--a poor substitute, I guess.

hadawayj 09-07-2011 08:17 AM

Are there any Mahjong games held in private residences in The Villages on a regular basis?:)

Barefoot 09-07-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadawayj (Post 391350)
Are there any Mahjong games held in private residences in The Villages on a regular basis?:)

For sure. Many MJ games in people's homes. You will meet other players at Rec Centre games, make new friends, and then start up private games.

hadawayj 09-07-2011 11:38 AM

Do you have any names that we could contact. Right now we are living in TV, but do not have ID cards. Please have Mahjong player contact buzz01@comcast.net Would really like to meet people playing near LaZamora.:a040:

hadawayj 09-07-2011 11:42 AM

Forgot to mention that I have a Mahjong set.