Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   How do I use Netflix? Getting started (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/how-do-i-use-netflix-getting-started-149855/)

Joorn59 04-02-2015 07:40 AM

How do I use Netflix? Getting started

Has anyone cut out cable TV and started using exclusively Netflix?
I want to do this but have no idea how to get started. Do I need to keep :cus: Comcast for Internet? What do I have to buy to get going?
Any advise appreciated!
Joanne

MikeV 04-02-2015 08:17 AM

Yes in order to use Netflix you will need an internet provider and a smart TV or DVD/Blu-Ray player with Netflix built in. Once you have those in place you must connect the Smart TV or DVD player to your internet router either by wire or WiFi. Then all you have to do is subscribe to Netflix and you will be able to stream movies and TV programs. Don't expect to see very recent movies because it takes a few months for Netflix to get them. You will be able to see back episodes of many TV shows etc. An HD antenna installed in your attic may provide local programming.

LI SNOWBIRD 04-02-2015 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joorn59 (Post 1038906)
Has anyone cut out cable TV and started using exclusively Netflix?
I want to do this but have no idea how to get started. Do I need to keep :cus: Comcast for Internet? What do I have to buy to get going?
Any advise appreciated!
Joanne

as a bare minimum you must have WiFi and a device capable of accessing Netflix-- a lot of game consoles will do it (I use Wii) google for a list of devices
good luck

waynet 04-02-2015 08:42 AM

how do you connect to the internet router. Where is the security code that I need? thanks

villagetinker 04-02-2015 10:42 AM

When your router was setup, you or the installed entered a name (SSID) for the router, and the security code. I hope you wrote these down. The SSID will appear on your device (phone, tablet, TV, PC, etc) trying to connect to the network, then since you have security enabled, you will need to enter the password.
If you did not record this information, you will need to completely reset the router and start over, VERY IMPORTANT, when you go through the setup again, make sure you enable security and record the password. If you do not enable security, you will have a wide open wifi and anyone will be able to login and use your bandwidth.
Hope this helps.

Living a Fantasy 04-02-2015 01:18 PM

I use ROKU (One time cost between $50 - $80). It is about the size of a hockey puck. You need an available HDMI port on the back of your TV. TV doesn't need to be a SmartTV. A wireless router is what I use. I have three ROKU's --- one for each TV. Another benefit with ROKU is that I may take it with me on vacation and use it at a family residence with WIFI Internet connectivity. Or take it to a hotel and plug HDMI cable into the back of the hotel TV. Most hotels have WIFI.

I also understand that ROKU has a later version of my model that doesn't require an HDMI cable. It looks like a Thumb Drive and connect directly into the TV's HDMI port. No cable. These are sold at Sam's and I'm sure Best Buy.

If you have a WIFI connection, I'll bring one of my ROKU's to you; plug it in; and show you what it does.

I am due for a Random Act of Kindness for this month and will be happy to help out a neighbor --- gratis. I am a Villager and live in El Cortez Village near Chula Vista if you prefer to see how my setup works.

PS I detest Comcast so much for raising rates without justification that it will put a smile on my face.

Just PM me to arrange it.

Carla B 04-02-2015 02:51 PM

We also have a Roku. It is great for not only Netflix, but Pandora and other "channels" as well. You can get movies and shows from Amazon and other providers. Some of the channels don't work very well but Netflix, Amazon, and PBS are well developed. Our Roku came as a gift and when it arrived, I had no idea what it did or how it worked. It was easy to install though, and we were up and running with no trouble.

If I were you, I'd go get one and take Living a Fantasy up on his generous offer.

Joorn59 04-09-2015 08:57 PM

Thanks for the offer, Living. I have an Amazon Fire TV unit that I think will work.

buzzy 04-10-2015 07:54 AM

We recently got the Fire Stick. since we are already Amazon Prime customers. Also, it seemed to be the cheapest entry point for a new user. I find the browsing and scrolling features to be a bit tedious, but the selection is pretty good. I have browsed Netflix by using a friend's account. If we had more time to watch, we would probably get our own account. BTW - I was surprised that it works just fine with just a 10 mbps DSL internet service.

tomwed 04-10-2015 10:17 PM

Do you have a laptop?
My laptop has an HDMI output. The cable looks like this: click here
I connect it to my tv and extend the desktop. I can go to Netflix and watch it on my TV or my laptop or both. What I do is watch it on my TV, like now, and use the laptop for TOTV or whatever.

They will be selling a chromebook soon for $150. click here

The best thing about a chromebook is that it never can get a virus. It boots up in seconds and it's hard to find something it can't do as well as a regular windows or apple laptop for quite a bit less.