Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   We Want To Rescue Hypoallergenic Dog That Needs a Loving Home (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/we-want-rescue-hypoallergenic-dog-needs-loving-home-149976/)

Hummintwo 04-03-2015 05:26 AM

Update: See Photos of our Lilly in her Forever Home

2 Attachment(s)
My husband and I have not owned a dog in more than 30 years but we are now ready to offer a loving home to a sweet natured hypoallergenic dog that is a rescued dog. I do not plan to seek out a breeder but we are more than happy to parent a rescued dog. Any suggestions as to how I might contact rescued dog persons who can fulfill our wish?

[B][/Here is our Lilly!B] She's a perfect joy and we are both in love with her. She loves her home, her new friends (both humans and animals) and tracks the both of us perfectly but at enough of a distance to not step in our precious. She was surrendered in the field and that must have been a heart break for the owner but God will let this person(s) know our Lilly is happy and so are we. I will have another photo or two to share with one of her new feline friends soon.

graciegirl 04-03-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummintwo (Post 1039393)
My husband and I have not owned a dog in more than 30 years but we are now ready to offer a loving home to a sweet natured hypoallergenic dog that is a rescued dog. I do not plan to seek out a breeder but we are more than happy to parent a rescued dog. Any suggestions as to how I might contact rescued dog persons who can fulfill our wish?

I am older, so I am not going to stand on formalities here. When you get older every day counts.

I like you, Hummintwo. Yes I do.

Hope you soon find your sweet dog and you both enjoy each other for a long, long, time.

Hummintwo 04-03-2015 07:48 AM

Grateful for Kindness

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I hope that other pet lovers will have suggestions to help us locate our little sweet dog.

CFrance 04-03-2015 07:52 AM

You might try contacting SusanG on this forum for suggestions. I think her organization deals in small rescue dogs. If not, she might be able to point you in the right direction. Do a search for SusanG using the Search function at the top of the page. Good luck, and blessings to you!

Phanatic Luvr 04-03-2015 07:57 AM

Try Petfinders.com. You can put in your area by zip code, a specific breed you may be looking for, specify male or female and age. Also, there are many times dogs are listed on TOTV's or possibly a local SPCA.
You are a kind person to look at rescues. I have two, a Chihuahua and a Goldendoodle. I know, they look like the odd couple and we love them. My husband always says, we make great pets for our dogs. Good luck in your search and don't give up till you find the one who really pulls on your heartstrings.

Susan G 04-03-2015 08:09 AM

Poodle and Pooch Rescue

Quote:

Good morning... Yes, there are plenty of small dogs on the Poodle and Pooch Rescue site Dogs for adoption from our Rescue in Orlando FL. Also check out the SaveADog tab at the top, as these (and others) will move to the adoptable Dogs tab shortly - as soon as they are totally vetted and groomed.

All dogs are fostered in one of our volunteer's homes, so if you see a dog you are interested in, you will meet him or her in the foster home. Please go ahead and fill out the Adoption Application so that if you see a particular dog you like, you are a step ahead in the process.

There are also foster opportunities available and PPR gives you all meds, food, leash and harness for the dog while in your care.

Best wishes & Thank You For Thinking Rescue!!

Susan Gros ~ Volunteer Foster Coordinator ~ The Villages

Susan G 04-03-2015 08:20 AM

Hummintwo I sent you a PM as well with my contact information.

Thank You For Thinking Rescue!!

GeoGeo 04-03-2015 09:17 AM

You might give South Lake Animal League a call 352-429-6334 and see if they have anyone that fits what you are looking for that needs to be in a foster home.

Hummintwo 04-03-2015 07:20 PM

Thank you Susan. I did complete the adoption application but I did not check the rest of the site. The old girl needed some grooming. I will check back. What breed of dogs are hypo allergenic? i.e., poodles, yorkies, shih tsu,. Any others?

Hummintwo 04-03-2015 08:37 PM

Thanks so much. I will check out Petfinders.com.

Hummintwo 04-03-2015 08:40 PM

I will call South Lake Animal League in the morning. Thanks so much.

CFrance 04-03-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummintwo (Post 1039899)
Thank you Susan. I did complete the adoption application but I did not check the rest of the site. The old girl needed some grooming. I will check back. What breed of dogs are hypo allergenic? i.e., poodles, yorkies, shih tsu,. Any others?

Here is a good list for a start: Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds - American Kennel Club

Hummintwo 04-06-2015 03:18 AM

Forever Rescue Pet Preparation

Quote:

[B]Our first purchase[B], a pet carrier to bring home our forever (unknown) pet,Yippee!

Now we are learning about very small hypoallergenic dogs and what type dogs fit that category. Further the sweet dog cannot by nature exceed 8 lbs. We are special needs category but neither of us are in a wheelchair or bedridden yet[B] (happy to say). Our daughter in law sent us photos of a rescued dog owned by a friend of hers. It is a teacup yorkie (I am in love) but realistically the dog is really tiny with specific special needs of its own because of its tiny size.

I believe so far the next size up would be a miniature or toy yorkie. Would I be correct? Also, what other breed of dogs would be hypoallergenic and not exceed 8 lbs.?

As you read, you know we are moving forward with our plan to rescue a precious dog but we are still in the research phase so any help from you pet owners and pet lovers, is greatly appreciated.

redwitch 04-06-2015 04:43 AM

A Maltese or toy poodle should fit your needs perfectly. Small, light, cuddly and hypoallergenic. Under eight pounds might be a problem, though. I think these breeds go up a little bit more. Definitely look at females since they are always smaller.

Just checked. A Maltese goes up to nine pounds, a toy poodle to ten.

Barefoot 04-13-2015 12:49 AM

Home

Above is a website for Max's Pet Connection.
Last week I visted them on Saturday just outside Petsmart.
They had a darling 6 lb Yorkie looking for a forever home.
I'm sure that Yorkie has been adopted as they had received several applications.
You might want to visit them and fill out an application so you will be ready when you fall in love with your special dog.
The website has telephone numbers so you can call them.
I've had a Yorkie, a Maltese and two Toy Poodles. All were around 7 lbs.

Thank you for thinking of adopting a rescue. :doggie: