Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Cheaper flea and heartworm medications. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/cheaper-flea-heartworm-medications-150010/)

Taltarzac725 04-03-2015 10:29 AM

Cheaper flea and heartworm medications.

How can you get flea prevention and heartworm prevention medicines for cheaper rates than you get at your vet? I would need reputable medicines though for Beau nothing that is not top quality.

dbussone 04-03-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1039590)
How can you get flea prevention and heartworm prevention medicines for cheaper rates than you get at your vet? I would need reputable medicines though for Beau nothing that is not top quality.

There are online websites that sell the same meds sold by vets. I think you may need to provide prescription for some though. Here is one of many available:
http://www.1800petmeds.com/index.jsp?

janmcn 04-03-2015 10:55 AM

I've been using Home for years. Consumer Reports recommended them about ten years ago as the best deal around. Check them out.

downsouth95 04-03-2015 11:11 AM

Cheaper flea and heartworm meds

If you are talking about the topspot type of preventative, then you might be interested in going to the dogstore (Woofgang???) in Brownwood. I noticed on my way out the other day that they had a topspot type that had the same ingredients as frontline etc. for less $. You might want to call them first - not sure how much it was since I don't use the stuff.

Taltarzac725 04-03-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 1039605)
I've been using Home for years. Consumer Reports recommended them about ten years ago as the best deal around. Check them out.

Thanks. Now if I can get my vet to agree with doing this. Do you need a prescription to get this from this site?

Bonnevie 04-03-2015 11:39 AM

I've found this site to be less expensive than most

Pet Supplies, Vet Supplies, Horse Supplies : Heartland Veterinary Supply at Discount Pricing

you can enter the med the animal is on and your vet's information and they will contact them for you. Buffalo Ridge does it for me. It's the only way I can keep my dog's meds under $100 a month

janmcn 04-03-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1039613)
Thanks. Now if I can get my vet to agree with doing this. Do you need a prescription to get this from this site?

I don't know. I've only been buying flea control stuff.

Bonanza 04-04-2015 02:05 AM

You might also check with CaliforniaPetPharmacy.com.
They are an EPA and FDA approved pharmacy.
Excellent prices and they will call your vet to get your prescription.
You don't have to do a thing.
They mail it to you and you receive it within about a week or so.

blueash 04-04-2015 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Florida​ ​Florida Statutes, Chapter 474 Veterinary Medical Practice
474.214. Disciplinary proceedings ​(1) The following acts shall constitute grounds for which the disciplinary actions in subsection (2) may be taken:

(pp) Failing to give the owner of a patient, before dispensing any drug, a written prescription when requested.

Under Florida law the vet is required to provide a script for medications that he might otherwise prefer to sell you himself in the office. All pharmaceuticals, whether human or animal are regulated by the FDA for quality if manufactured in the US or approved for importation. No product that is not "high quality" is approved for sale. As we all know there are recalls from the best known manufacturers as well as the generics when concerns arise. I would suggest that concerns about quality of medications approved by the FDA is not needed, and that marketing, not evidence promotes your worry. Get the name of the med, price it at your vet, then online and go with the least expensive FDA approved product if $$ is motivating you. It is possible, though not likely, that your vet will come down to the price you find online as he certainly is making a profit on the lower sales price as well.

Here is a screenshot showing price differences for the same product

rn1tv 04-04-2015 08:18 AM

I use Allivet for online ordering and have been very pleased. I recently took my sheltie to Paws Animal Hospital for a bladder infection. I found the prescribed antibiotic online at 1/2 the price that the vet was charging so I had Allivet contact Paws to request a faxed prescription. I received a call from the vet's office stating, rather rudely, that it is against their policy to fax scripts (a cheaper price was never offered). I feel the vet's primary concern is profit and not the welfare of my pup. We will not be returning to Paws and it is nice to know Buffalo Ridge will honor their clients requests.

kellyjam 04-04-2015 08:44 AM

I have used petshed.com for the last 7 years, for the Heartworm, where you can get the regular or generics without a prescription. They are located in Australia and shipping is pretty quick. I used Frontline but didn't like the way my dogs reacted to it. I switched them to the Seresto collar by Bayer which I get from Amazon. They are currently up in Eastern Long Island which has a high deer population ie ticks and we haven't had a tick in 4 years. You also don't need a script to get it. Vets in my experience don't use Generics because there is no profit in it.

Bonnevie 04-04-2015 11:14 AM

at the Responsible Dog Owners Club, the vet who was speaking said he considers himself the convenience store for medications these days. The mail order ones can buy in bulk and get discounts he can not get. But if something is needed right away he can supply it but it will cost more (like buying staple items at 7-11).

Taltarzac725 04-04-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rn1tv (Post 1040044)
I use Allivet for online ordering and have been very pleased. I recently took my sheltie to Paws Animal Hospital for a bladder infection. I found the prescribed antibiotic online at 1/2 the price that the vet was charging so I had Allivet contact Paws to request a faxed prescription. I received a call from the vet's office stating, rather rudely, that it is against their policy to fax scripts (a cheaper price was never offered). I feel the vet's primary concern is profit and not the welfare of my pup. We will not be returning to Paws and it is nice to know Buffalo Ridge will honor their clients requests.

I used Allivet and got a good deal on flea prevention and did not need a vet's prescription. Saved maybe $20.00 or so.

jojo 04-04-2015 05:53 PM

We use Trifexis which is $18.50 for one pill each month. Has anyone found a cheaper source for it?

MoeVonB61 04-04-2015 09:29 PM

DITTO for Allivet!!..best prices, ships from South Florida and outstanding Customer Service......www.allivet.com....and never return to a Vet who refuses to write the script...report them to the BBB...