Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Dead Bolts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/dead-bolts-150289/)

TrudyM 04-05-2015 03:59 PM

Dead Bolts

Would it look really stupid to have a deadbolt at the bottom?
Ok I had an idea. Tell me if this is just stupid or might work.
When I was a store manager the dead bolt locks were not in the middle. In one store they were up at the top and went deep into the big header over the door. Now I didn't like it much as I had to stand on tip toe to open it. The second one however was at the bottom and the dead bolt went deep into the slab. Would this work on our existing doors?
Most of the designers including mine have front doors with side lights or double doors. The frames that the current dead bolt goes into isn't very thick. I have seen on the net were some put a heavy mending plate in-between the stud and the 1" door frame but there isn't a stud because of the sidelight and the total isn't very thick unlike having a king stud like a regular door to go into.

villagetinker 04-05-2015 04:53 PM

The police recommended a diagonal bar that runs from the door knob to the floor, this prevents the door being kicked in while you are home. It sounds like you are after security while at home, so I would go with the police recommendation. The additional dead bolts will slow your exit (if the house is on fire), and slow the rescuers if you need assistance. The diagonal bar will slow the possible intrude, and hopefully they will move on.
Just my humble opinion.

CassieInVa 04-05-2015 06:03 PM

How can I find out more about the diagonal bar and how it works? Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who could install as well?

CWGUY 04-05-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassieInVa (Post 1040827)
How can I find out more about the diagonal bar and how it works? Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who could install as well?

Master Lock Dual-Function Adjustable Door Security Bar-265DCCSEN - The Home Depot :police:

kstew43 04-05-2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1040834)

not a good choice...I did lots of research and it was not good......,

We went to home depot, bought a gold door frame for the handle and the deadbolt, $19 easy to install, just replaces the small stuff we had. Also purchased a dead bolt...best one, $35.00, I did the research on deadbolts and got the best quality.

We bought the one with the key so you can't just break the glass and turn the knob....it needs a key, in and out... We hang the key on the inside corner so it is in easy reach from the inside.

We also bought a new latch that the dead bolt goes into. it has about 8 screws 3 inches deep vs the original 2 1 1/2. Makes me feel lots safer, hubby did all the work, nothing complicated, looks impressive from the outside, gold and shiney... cost under $75 for everything and bought it in lowes.

Go to lowes/homedepot and look around.

villagetinker 04-05-2015 08:12 PM

CWGUY,

We did very similar to what you did, to both the front door and the door to the garage, my original answer was to the question about high and low deadbolts (not a good idea IMHO), and I tend to agree with your assessment on the bar. We have a rug in front of the door, and to use the bar, we would need to move the rug, defeating the reason for the rug in the first place. Also, you cannot have the bar installed if you are leaving the house (we do not go in the garage typically).
By the way, the brushed nickel heavy duty striker plates tend to be hard to find.

kstew43 04-05-2015 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1040877)
CWGUY,

We did very similar to what you did, to both the front door and the door to the garage, my original answer was to the question about high and low deadbolts (not a good idea IMHO), and I tend to agree with your assessment on the bar. We have a rug in front of the door, and to use the bar, we would need to move the rug, defeating the reason for the rug in the first place. Also, you cannot have the bar installed if you are leaving the house (we do not go in the garage typically).
By the way, the brushed nickel heavy duty striker plates tend to be hard to find.

I know, we liked the brushed nickle as well but had to go with the SHINEY GOLD...yuck....cause thats all they had in stock at the time, but...

.turns out it can be seen from the road...so maybe it worked out anyway.....you can see that we did some kind of reinforcement from a distance and may keep away the prowlers....you never know...

kstew43 04-05-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassieInVa (Post 1040827)

I went to lowes, bought 2 metal braces for either side of the door. placed a piece of wood, 2 by 4 across the door and wah la....

The wood slips into the braces that we mounted, used 4 inch screws into the studs on the walls on either side of the doors. I saw how to do this on youtube. Lots of ideas. All you need is a drill and screwdriver.

I feel safer. I am alone a lot up here so anything we can do makes me feel a little better. Looks funny from the inside though...

Possible overkill, but makes me feel good, check it out.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 04-05-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstew43 (Post 1040866)
not a good choice...I did lots of research and it was not good......,

We went to home depot, bought a gold door frame for the handle and the deadbolt, $19 easy to install, just replaces the small stuff we had. Also purchased a dead bolt...best one, $35.00, I did the research on deadbolts and got the best quality.

We bought the one with the key so you can't just break the glass and turn the knob....it needs a key, in and out... We hang the key on the inside corner so it is in easy reach from the inside.

We also bought a new latch that the dead bolt goes into. it has about 8 screws 3 inches deep vs the original 2 1 1/2. Makes me feel lots safer, hubby did all the work, nothing complicated, looks impressive from the outside, gold and shiney... cost under $75 for everything and bought it in lowes.

Go to lowes/homedepot and look around.

I'm not sure about Florida, but in many states it is against the fire laws to require a key to get out of a building. What you might be gaining in security you may be losing by endangering you and yours int eh event of a fire.

I had one of those diagonal bars when I lived in the middle of a big city where there was a lot of crime and several break ins. I can't imagine having one here.

TrudyM 04-06-2015 02:43 AM

I am more concerned with a good deadbolt for when we are not there. I don't think I could install something with a 3 inch screw or a really deep long deadbolt as there is no stud because of the side lights. The deadbolt down by the floor that I had in two of my store locations worked just like the deadbolts that are in the middle of the door. Key from the outside turnbuckle from the inside but it went through the threshold into the slab so couldn't be kicked out. I was thinking that because it was low on the door they couldn't reach it if they broke the glass either.

bonrich 04-06-2015 06:58 AM

Diagonal bar will work as long as you exit and enter from your garage. If by some unknown reason you cannot get the garage door up, only way in is to break a window.

Villager Joyce 04-06-2015 07:43 AM

It appears for every good idea, there is at least one negative. I think it comes down to being aware of our surroundings and our neighbors surroundings.

kstew43 04-06-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrudyM (Post 1040941)
I am more concerned with a good deadbolt for when we are not there. I don't think I could install something with a 3 inch screw or a really deep long deadbolt as there is no stud because of the side lights. The deadbolt down by the floor that I had in two of my store locations worked just like the deadbolts that are in the middle of the door. Key from the outside turnbuckle from the inside but it went through the threshold into the slab so couldn't be kicked out. I was thinking that because it was low on the door they couldn't reach it if they broke the glass either.

we have a sidelight also so we couldn't use the 6 inch screws that came with the product. We bought additional screws I think they were 3 inches, maybe only 2.5. But better than the 1 inch that came with the house.

When you open your door, and look where the deadbolt actually enters the door frame, you will see you have more inches than you think. We did anyway.
I do think that putting a deadbolt down low, with the same screws as the one higher is not going to make a difference, but you never know.

kstew43 04-06-2015 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonrich (Post 1041021)
Diagonal bar will work as long as you exit and enter from your garage. If by some unknown reason you cannot get the garage door up, only way in is to break a window.

you are absolutly right.....I only use the bar when I'm sleeping at night.

costagrande 04-06-2015 08:23 AM

Check out www.safeslider.com. Rob is very helpful and will even install for you.