Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Suggestion Box for TV Developer (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/suggestion-box-tv-developer-15033/)

PJ 07-12-2008 12:13 AM

Suggestion Box for TV Developer

I started to put this in the "Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BESIDES" but that one is too long already, IMHO.

And besides I love it here!! I don't hate anything - this is paradise....
Well ok we do have lotsa bad drivers!! And a less-than-efficient "security gate system".

My suggestions for the "Suggestion Box":

1. Instead of using those cards to get through the gates, I'd like to have some small sticker on my windshield that could be "read" by an electronic reader at the gates. My driver's side window opener/closer (not sure what to call it) is starting to go bad! This can be very expensive to get repaired! (Been there!!)

2. I'd love to have a real Farmers' Market especially in the Summer months, at both squares, (or even one square on alternating days or weeks) at least once a week, EARLY in the mornings before it gets hot or starts raining!

Anyone else have ideas?

renielarson 07-12-2008 12:17 AM

Re: Suggestion Box for TV Developer

PJ

I also thought about a windshield sticker but then I thought about the times I'm here with a rental car. A sticker is not the answer.

tkret 07-12-2008 12:19 AM

I suggest that I get my house sold so that I can move to The Villages .... but I guess you weren't referring to that kind of suggestion. ??? :'(

Barefoot 07-12-2008 12:59 AM

I suggest that the United States Government allow Canadians who own houses in The Villages to stay more than 183 days a year in the US. Oh, sorry, this thread is about suggestions for the Developer. Well, he has a lot of power, some think he is Omnipotent; perhaps he can talk to someone higher up. :dontknow:

PJ 07-12-2008 01:20 AM

"I also thought about a windshield sticker but then I thought about the times I'm here with a rental car. A sticker is not the answer."

Brightspot, yes I understand the problem if we're using rental cars, or if we haven't moved in yet, and don't have a gate pass. But there must be a better way besides constantly rolling our windows up & down. Maybe they could have a sticker that is removeable? There must be a better way.

JohnN 07-12-2008 01:57 AM

something like the florida toll road pass , just a card like the key but where it can be read

I'd like to have a nice WALKING path or park (I know there's an exercise path on the north end)

cabo35 07-12-2008 02:06 AM

Bring a minor league baseball franchise to The Villages. Fumar can pitch, Muncle can catch, any shortstops out there?

Muncle 07-12-2008 02:26 AM

No comment one way or another about any of the suggestions, but remember that the cost of anything put in will come out of your pocket. For instance, if we went the automatic reader/scanner method, you would need to buy, install, and maintain 1 or 2 of them for each of the many, many gates, plus the cost of the devices for each vehicle.

Re Barefoot's suggestion, just imagine if the 183 day rule were rescinded. We'd be overrun with Canadians in no time (notice, no pejorative nickname for Canadians!!), eh. And we'd have to install a Tim Hortons.

And Cabo, I've been catching enough :edit: lately. Though I would love to see the college football quasi-all star game return to the polo field. I wasn't here for the 2 years they had it, but on television it looked great. In the same vein, I wouldn't mind seeing them play a Nationwide, Duramed Futures, or Hooter golf tournament here.

Villages Kahuna 07-12-2008 02:41 AM

HOW ABOUT OUR OWN POST OFFICE???

Here I am in southwest Michigan. I go to the Post Offices in Sawyer (population 2,661), or Three Oaks (population 1,742), or Bridgman (population 2,428), or Harbert (population 1,619), or Lakeside (population 196), or New Buffalo (population 2,085), or Union Pier (population 881). All have post offices.

We live in The Villages, population 75,000 and growing at the rate of 6,000 or so each year, and we don't have our own Post Office! We have to go to Lady Lake (population 13,854) where they have three post offices! Or Fruitland Park (population 3,186), or Oxford (population 2,904), or Belleview (population 3,478), or Wildwood (population 3,924). They all have nice post offices, open 5-1/2 days a week, fully staffed, etc.

What have we done to get crapped on so badly by the Postmaster General? Geez, The Morse family gave George Bush close to a million dollars so he could get elected for two terms. What'd they get for the community they built? Zippo!

Just another reason why we need a new administration in Washington...as if we needed more reasons.

I got so honked writing this that I'm going to post it as it's own thread. Maybe folks will get mad enough to write their Senators or Congressmen. But be careful,many of them may not be there when the 111th Congress convenes in January, 2009. I hope they actually have to get a job and try to make an honest living.

samhass 07-12-2008 02:49 AM

How about a transponder like my Sunpass or eazypass?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightspot01
PJ

I also thought about a windshield sticker but then I thought about the times I'm here with a rental car. A sticker is not the answer.

llaran 07-12-2008 03:08 AM

RE: the farmers market

There used to be one where Toojay's is now or maybe where Big City Grill is. Then there used to be a guy at Sumter landing until Sweetbay came and they closed him down. :(

chelsea24 07-12-2008 03:26 AM

I agree with Kahuna, the post office situation is deplorable. I live far south so I just go to Wildwood. But, I really shouldn't have to. I'm kind of amazed that this problem exists at all. Everything else is so well planned out. :dontknow:

The Gray Hog 07-12-2008 07:48 PM

Just a note of thanks to Dev. about the wonderful flowers and plantings around TV.
On 466A entrance by C/C the flowers just pop with color as well as other areas.
What a joy to see as we scoot and hoot around.

Ooper 07-12-2008 11:37 PM

If I recall, a few months ago, there was an article in the paper about how they were going to try a device like Sunpass that you could buy for about $60 +/- that would open the gate for you. They had to upgrade the electronics at the gates first but I haven't heard anything since. Don't know if the idea was squashed or not. Maybe somebody knows more. :dontknow:

ouma1938 07-13-2008 02:06 AM

I am not a TV resident yet-still trying to sell the house-but I do agree with two suggestions so far. Barefoot, I think its awful that you can only stay 183 days in the States. I mean, its not like you taking jobs away from anyone..............instead you are supporting the economy. Makes little sense to me. And I agree that TV really should have its own Post Office.