Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Advice on cutting the cable chord (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/advice-cutting-cable-chord-154400/)

Odysseus 05-21-2015 01:55 PM

Advice on cutting the cable chord

I want to 'cut the chord' (I currently have Dish TV). I'd like some recommendations for installation of an attic antenna so I can get network TV. Then I need to get a broadband hookup (I currently use a portable Verizon Jetpack) so I can use a Roku and/or Netflix and/or Amazon Prime.

Is there a technician who can:
a) Give me unbiased and unaffiliated advice on what I need
b) Install and hook up whatever I purchase?

Advice desperately needed, I'm sick and tired of paying for channels that promise to improve my neck, sell me jewelry, help me lose weight and so on.

tuccillo 05-21-2015 02:09 PM

We have done this. We have an antenna in the attic that pulls in 50 stations from Orlando. We really only watch the network stations (NBC, ABC, FOX, and CBS) and a few others. There are a lot of Spanish and Religious stations. The network stations are in Hi-Def.

We also watch Netflix and Hulu+ and some other Roku "stations". This setup has worked well for us. We use CenturyLink for internet only. Any internet provider will work fine. You need 3-5 Mbits/sec download performance for Netflix for Hi-Def (per TV).

I would recommend that you contact Tom at TheVillagesAV.com. He installed the antenna in our attic and also wall mounted a couple of TVs for us. He is highly recommended. Tom may be able to suggest some other options - he is a Comcast dealer also and Comcast might also be a good choice for you depending on whether there are "cable" stations that you really want to have access to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseus (Post 1063354)
I want to 'cut the chord' (I currently have Dish TV). I'd like some recommendations for installation of an attic antenna so I can get network TV. Then I need to get a broadband hookup (I currently use a portable Verizon Jetpack) so I can use a Roku and/or Netflix and/or Amazon Prime.

Is there a technician who can:
a) Give me unbiased and unaffiliated advice on what I need
b) Install and hook up whatever I purchase?

Advice desperately needed, I'm sick and tired of paying for channels that promise to improve my neck, sell me jewelry, help me lose weight and so on.

virgind 05-21-2015 02:15 PM

Take a look at Sling TV it gives you networks like HGTV History Channel etc.cost is 20 per month but works really well

Kevin and Luci 05-21-2015 02:24 PM

I would also recommend Tom at Villages AV.

tomwed 05-21-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin and Luci (Post 1063379)
I would also recommend Tom at Villages AV.

me too

Odysseus 05-23-2015 05:39 PM

Thank you everyone. I'll contact Tom at Villages AV