Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   two bright shinny things in the western sky (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/two-bright-shinny-things-western-sky-156685/)

Topspinmo 06-27-2015 09:37 PM

two bright shinny things in the western sky

For those of us that look up and wonder what the two brightest shinny things are in the sky that seem to be getting closer are! well They are! It's Venus the big bright one and Jupiter the smaller bright one getting ready to Conjunction. Venus will be over taking Jupiter and will actually move in front of it, thus blocking out or view. Here more if interested Watch the great race of Venus and Jupiter in June 2015 | Tonight | EarthSky

dotti105 06-27-2015 11:42 PM

I just noticed them last night on the way home from Spanish Springs.

The sky was clear and they were exceptionally bright. I thought that perhaps I had just never noticed them before. Makes me wish I had a telescope.

Thanks for the info. I always wish I knew more about astronomy. It is fascinating!

MikeV 06-28-2015 06:13 AM

I've been watching them for a while. I love looking and wondering ...

Villager Joyce 06-28-2015 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1079785)
For those of us that look up and wonder what the two brightest shinny things are in the sky that seem to be getting closer are! well They are! It's Venus the big bright one and Jupiter the smaller bright one getting ready to Conjunction. Venus will be over taking Jupiter and will actually move in front of it, thus blocking out or view. Here more if interested Watch the great race of Venus and Jupiter in June 2015 | Tonight | EarthSky

Thank you for this post. I'm afraid I didn't even look up. I will now

I know we aren't supposed to make jokes or be snarky anymore, but that is who I am. My husband told me it was Sky King And Penny.

LI SNOWBIRD 06-28-2015 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager Joyce (Post 1079827)
Thank you for this post. I'm afraid I didn't even look up. I will now

I know we aren't supposed to make jokes or be snarky anymore, but that is who I am. My husband told me it was Sky King And Penny.

Thanks for the old time tv reference--it struck a chord.

Chi-Town 06-28-2015 09:08 AM

Noticed the sight last night. Looking forward to the next few nights.

spk7951 06-28-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti105 (Post 1079795)
I just noticed them last night on the way home from Spanish Springs.

The sky was clear and they were exceptionally bright. I thought that perhaps I had just never noticed them before. Makes me wish I had a telescope.

Thanks for the info. I always wish I knew more about astronomy. It is fascinating!

You really do not need a telescope. If you have a device that allows downloads of apps then try SkyView Free app. You can see planets and constellations along with the space station and Hubble telescope. Pretty neat app.

tomwed 06-28-2015 09:58 AM

yes,,,thank-you for the post
I noticed them friday night. I thought is was a USO [unidentified stationary object]

Justus 06-28-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1079785)

:bowdown: Thank you for this; we've been watching it as well. Do you have any idea when this phenomenon last occurred? We can't seem to find that info.

Topspinmo 06-28-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justus (Post 1079967)
:bowdown: Thank you for this; we've been watching it as well. Do you have any idea when this phenomenon last occurred? We can't seem to find that info.

Planet conjunction happen frequently, but I think (but don't know for sure) the last time venus and Jupiter was this close (by our view from the earth) was 2000 years ago? About the time son of the Lord was born? Some think it was the star of Bethlehem?

Justus 06-29-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1080168)
Planet conjunction happen frequently, but I think (but don't know for sure) the last time venus and Jupiter was this close (by our view from the earth) was 2000 years ago? About the time son of the Lord was born? Some think it was the star of Bethlehem?

Thanks; had no idea. Very glad for the info, and that you initiated this thread.

CFrance 06-29-2015 04:29 PM

Thanks! Been watching it during dog's last whizzes of the day. (Can't believe spell check accepted that.)