Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   My inbox is showing very old sent messages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/my-inbox-showing-very-old-sent-messages-156821/)

graciegirl 06-30-2015 07:07 AM

My inbox is showing very old sent messages

With the topic "no subject" as NEW RECEIVED MESSAGES from myself. Anyone else getting this? At first I thought the forum had been hacked. My old sent messages are appearing as new messages.

There was a new bar that said you could clear the cache of messages and I used it.

Now I am getting old sent messages appearing as new received messagea from MYSELF?.

Villager Joyce 06-30-2015 07:31 AM

The important question is do you agree with the messages you are sending you

zcaveman 06-30-2015 09:58 AM

I don't see anything old in my inbox but I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for.

Since you mentioned the forum, are they TOTV messages that you had posted or TOTV PMs that you had sent?

Sounds weird.

Z

graciegirl 06-30-2015 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman (Post 1080780)
I don't see anything old in my inbox but I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for.

Since you mentioned the forum, are they TOTV messages that you had posted or TOTV PMs that you had sent?

Sounds weird.

Z

My several years old sent messages are appearing under new messages to myself. (?!)

2BNTV 06-30-2015 11:03 AM

I don't know your answer but I have received e-mails with no subject and found it best, not to be opened and would put them directly into the "trash" bin.

Why even take the chance? Let us assume you received an e-mail with no subject heading. If the person didn't bother to put in a subject, I wouldn't open it.

If it is important, they will resend it with the proper heading. It all sounds suspicious to me. If they are from yourself, just send them to "trash" as you already know what they are about. IMHO

rexxfan 06-30-2015 03:03 PM

In general, if you receive email appearing to have been sent by you, its probably SPAM. Depending on the email client you're using you can inspect the (typically) hidden email headers to determine where the mail likely came from (although even that can be faked, so its not foolproof). I do email support for a living (for another year or so and then I'm retiring, I swear :-).
--
bc

rjm1cc 06-30-2015 05:59 PM

I just had a problem. I was using Thunderbird and Gmail. There was an update to Gmail and my Thunderbird was not compatible as I was not on version 38+. What programs are you using?

TOTV Team 06-30-2015 06:31 PM

Is this a personal email question or a TOTV private message inbox question?

graciegirl 06-30-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admin (Post 1080944)

It is on my TOTV private message. The old sent ones appeared today as incoming messages to me...from me.

villagetinker 06-30-2015 08:21 PM

Gracie,
Do you periodically delete old messages? It is a pain on this site, as it appears you have to delete one by one, but in the past on other systems I have seen weird things happened when you exceed a limit, and since you post a lot, maybe you have exceeded some limit.

Now for a funny but very true story, in my previous life, the company I worked for used an IBM mainframe mail program called TOSS (Total Office Support System - I think), any way it has a limit of 1024 messages in any one users inbox, I innocently sent an email to a user that never deleted anything, it was the 1025th message, and the ENTIRE company TOSS system crashed... 2-3 hours later it came back, I resent the message, and crashed the system AGAIN!!!! The computer people came to my desk ready to hang me, but realized it was not my fault when they saw what I had done. His desk looked the same as the email in box, he never threw anything away.....

rjm1cc 06-30-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admin (Post 1080944)

Personnel

villagetinker 07-01-2015 07:48 AM

Gracie,

Since you have indicated this is a problem with personal email, I have the following questions (send me a PM and we can talk on the phone)
1. Are you running an antivirus software and is it up to date?
2. Have you seen any strange messages while surfing the internet?
3. Have you seen any other strange activities on your computer?
4. What e-mail program are you using (Outlook, or something else?)
5. Do you login to say Comcast.net and read the e-mail directly off their server?
6. Do you download your email to your computer? (aka a POP email account)
7. If you download your email, take a look to see how many items are in the inbox, deleted items, trash, etc. Outlook can get flaky when there are LOTs of items and the file gets real big.

Please do NOT post your answers to this system, but think about these questions, and if necessary contact one of the computer professionals as I think this will help them figure out what is going on and fix the problem.
Hope this helps.

graciegirl 07-01-2015 08:11 AM

Nope not personal email. Here on TOTV in my personal message area where new messages are posted. My old sent messages are appearing under new messages.

rexxfan 07-01-2015 09:04 AM

> Nope not personal email. Here on TOTV ...

Ah, well thats a different kettle of fish altogether. Sounds like an issue for TOTV admin/support.
--
bc

dbussone 07-01-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlcronin (Post 1081166)
> Nope not personal email. Here on TOTV ...

Ah, well thats a different kettle of fish altogether. Sounds like an issue for TOTV admin/support.
--
bc

I read the questions you posed and had similar thoughts since I know where you were heading. It was nice of you to attempt an assist for GG. And I agree with your recommendation.