Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   No Smoking in your own Car (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/no-smoking-your-own-car-156826/)

justjim 06-30-2015 08:05 AM

No Smoking in your own Car

Illinois has passed a law to prohibit smoking in your own private vehicle. Although not new (hospitals have prohibited this already) the law prohibits you smoking even while riding in your own vehicle through any public university property in the State. Coming next----while riding down the highway or on your own property?

Is this a critical hit against people's personal liberty? The governments attempt to regulate personal behavior seems to be more and more troubling IMHO.

NYGUY 06-30-2015 08:39 AM

The law only applies when minors are in the car.

Committee Approves Bill to Ban Smoking in Cars With Minors | NBC Chicago

redwitch 06-30-2015 08:41 AM

Be interesting if this ever gets to the Supreme Court -- personal rights vs. public safety. Of course, we have seem to thrown personal rights out the window given internet and phone monitoring, airport searches, Gitmo prisoners held without have as corpus and torture and so on and so forth. I guess security wins over individual freedoms regardless of what the Constitution or laws say.

graciegirl 06-30-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1080754)
Be interesting if this ever gets to the Supreme Court -- personal rights vs. public safety. Of course, we have seem to thrown personal rights out the window given internet and phone monitoring, airport searches, Gitmo prisoners held without have as corpus and torture and so on and so forth. I guess security wins over individual freedoms regardless of what the Constitution or laws say.

Sometimes we just can't CARE about everybody. Gitmo prisoners would be down the list for many of us.

War is HELL and has different rules.

But the subject was smoking in your own car. I think that law goes too far. And I don't smoke nor does anyone in my immediate family. I think texting is far more serious. When you are smoking you know where your mouth is and don't have to have your eyes leave the road.

billethkid 06-30-2015 08:53 AM

However and whatever the ruling comes down as just remember what we have going for (usually against) us....

lack of and or no enforcement.

graciegirl 06-30-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1080758)
However and whatever the ruling comes down as just remember what we have going for (usually against) us....

lack of and or no enforcement.

So true. Many law enforcements are becoming laughable. I was told on THIS forum a couple of years ago that older older people were more rule oriented than younger older people. OUCH!

graciegirl 06-30-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1080731)
Illinois has passed a law to prohibit smoking in your own private vehicle. Although not new (hospitals have prohibited this already) the law prohibits you smoking even while riding in your own vehicle through any public university property in the State. Coming next----while riding down the highway or on your own property?

Is this a critical hit against people's personal liberty? The governments attempt to regulate personal behavior seems to be more and more troubling IMHO.

Sorry. Bump. Back to the OP.

hulahips 06-30-2015 09:00 AM

And the mayor of NYC wants to ban smoking in your own apt!

NYGUY 06-30-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1080756)
Sometimes we just can't CARE about everybody. Gitmo prisoners would be down the list for many of us.

War is HELL and has different rules.

But the subject was smoking in your own car. I think that law goes too far. And I don't smoke nor does anyone in my immediate family. I think texting is far more serious. When you are smoking you know where your mouth is and don't have to have your eyes leave the road.

Gracie, did you notice this only applies when minors are in the car?

graciegirl 06-30-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGUY (Post 1080763)

Yes I did. But I do like to stir things a bit every once in awhile.

Chi-Town 06-30-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGUY (Post 1080763)

OP should gave mentioned that from the get go.

justjim 06-30-2015 09:49 AM

Another law

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGUY (Post 1080751)
The law only applies when minors are in the car.

Committee Approves Bill to Ban Smoking in Cars With Minors | NBC Chicago

This is a different law you rightly point out and I can see the difference in that you are exposing an innocent child to strong secondary smoke.

The law regarding University campuses and smoking in your own car is a separate and different law that was passed in Illinois. The only harm in this instance is to yourself.

Greg Nelson 06-30-2015 10:40 AM

Stir on Gracie..big brother is growing..ugh!

dewilson58 06-30-2015 10:44 AM

I only smoke after sex.
(I looked)

Rarely in a car.

:pepper2::pepper2::pepper2:

Sandtrap328 06-30-2015 11:04 AM

I remember one time when I was a kid around 9 years old - my father was smoking a cigarette while driving the car. Somehow, he dropped the lit cigarette and it landed on the seat between his legs. While trying to grab the cigarette and trying to steer the car, he jumped a curb and took out a driveway mailbox and headlight of the car. No one got hurt - but he did not stop smoking for many more years until he developed emphysema.