Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Flooring & Tile (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/flooring-tile-281/)
-   -   Question on laminate installation. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/flooring-tile-281/question-laminate-installation-156992/)

jccampana 07-01-2015 09:12 AM

Question on laminate installation.

I was wondering about keeping the base board or just adding quarter round along the edges of the laminate flooring. Which way looks the most finished, I have heard that if you keep your baseboard, if the floor isn't level, you will see gaps between the baseboard and flooring whereas you won't see this with the quarter round. Thanks for your responses.

Love2cruise 07-01-2015 10:37 AM

Removing the baseboards and putting them back looks much better than quarter round. The flooring company should level the cement befor installing the laminate. If they say they don't do that look for another company. Our flooring co also repainted the baseboard before they put them back.

jnieman 07-01-2015 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jccampana (Post 1081170)
I was wondering about keeping the base board or just adding quarter round along the edges of the laminate flooring. Which way looks the most finished, I have heard that if you keep your baseboard, if the floor isn't level, you will see gaps between the baseboard and flooring whereas you won't see this with the quarter round. Thanks for your responses.

We had quarter round and it looks fine. Here'a photo of ours.

rdhdleo 07-01-2015 11:35 AM

We have both. We did out bedrooms years and and the company used quarter round it's fine. But we just redid our great room and they took off ll baseboards and they were going to repaint them but but instead replaced them with all new for same price. It looks much more professional.

jimbo2012 07-01-2015 04:16 PM

In all candor 1/4 round is a half ass way to do it, it is totally unprofessional.
Done only by second rate unskilled installers.

No carpenter worth his salt would do it that way.

Oh did I mention I don't like it:rant-rave:

When I removed my moldings "carefully" they did not need to be repainted, they are installed by the builder with small diameter nails, when reinstalled just a dab of caulk goes on the nail heads & holes if any. Then just a little touchup.

PS: don't get anything but engineered wood,
laminate is only a few pennies less not worth it.

SoccerCoach 07-01-2015 04:40 PM

Our contractor removed the baseboard, sanded, filled the nail holes and repainted them and reinstalled them. . . . perfect. If you are installing up against tile, and the tile is not the same height as your new flooring. 1/4 round show "GAPS", and looks like an inexperienced install.