Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Country Clubs and Twilight Golfers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/country-clubs-twilight-golfers-157121/)

specialk 07-03-2015 10:02 AM

Country Clubs and Twilight Golfers

Is it just me? I've had three recent occasions at three different country clubs that were less than stellar. In each case, I was with a group of eight golfers who had just finished a nine-hole round of golf. And, in each case, we felt unwelcome, were either rushed or, worse, ignored. In once instance, we actually left after waiting for twenty minutes and went to Beef O'Brady's - they were very happy we were there!
I'm not one to gripe, but this observation leads me to believe that the management and the servers in the Country Clubs are spoiled; they think they have a captive audience and don't need to show appreciation for our business. It's my personal belief that we full-timers are the 'bread and butter' of this community and we keep it going with our consumer support until the next wave of snow-bird 'gravy' people arrive. Don't you think we should be treated with respect and welcome?
I know someone is going to ask, so I'll just say: Belle Glade (walked out), Glenview (horrible service) and Bonifay (rushed)

Skip 07-03-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialk (Post 1081921)
Is it just me? I've had three recent occasions at three different country clubs that were less than stellar. In each case, I was with a group of eight golfers who had just finished a nine-hole round of golf. And, in each case, we felt unwelcome, were either rushed or, worse, ignored. In once instance, we actually left after waiting for twenty minutes and went to Beef O'Brady's - they were very happy we were there!
I'm not one to gripe, but this observation leads me to believe that the management and the servers in the Country Clubs are spoiled; they think they have a captive audience and don't need to show appreciation for our business. It's my personal belief that we full-timers are the 'bread and butter' of this community and we keep it going with our consumer support until the next wave of snow-bird 'gravy' people arrive. Don't you think we should be treated with respect and welcome?
I know someone is going to ask, so I'll just say: Belle Glade (walked out), Glenview (horrible service) and Bonifay (rushed)

You're not alone. I've heard and seen this from many others. It's a shame what has happened to the Country Clubs over the years (exception: Hemingways at Havana).

Skip

newguyintv 07-03-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialk (Post 1081921)

You've hit the nail on the head. "Country Clubs" here in TV treat golfers poorly. I second your conclusion about Glenview which I consider to be one of the worst.

rjn5656 07-03-2015 01:42 PM

We had 10 at Glenview last night after golf, and most of the food came out cold. Won't be back.

Jima64 07-03-2015 07:39 PM

My suggestion.

All the people that experienced lousy food or service should contact the owner/ manager in letter and express their displeasure. Also let them know you will not be back.

wholman66 07-03-2015 07:44 PM

It's late and they are ready to go home!! No excuse, however. Experienced this at Belle Galde last week. As a former restaurant owner, you serve until last customer is properly served, captive audience here!!!

golf2140 07-03-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 1081941)
You're not alone. I've heard and seen this from many others. It's a shame what has happened to the Country Clubs over the years (exception: Hemingways at Havana).

Skip

Skip,

Our group at Hemmingway were treated like trash. The manager kept raising cane. They have lost 20 couples and all the friends that we can tell our story to.

justjim 07-03-2015 08:23 PM

It's late in the day

Quote:

Originally Posted by wholman66 (Post 1082172)
It's late and they are ready to go home!! No excuse, however. Experienced this at Belle Galde last week. As a former restaurant owner, you serve until last customer is properly served, captive audience here!!!

:beer3: I think you hit the nail right on the head. It's fairly late and the server and other restaurant workers are ready to go home. However, as you said, the last customer should be server properly.

I definitely would inform the Country Club owners in writing of the issue.

By the way, if the 8 golfers leave a fairly large tip, I would bet attitudes would change-----try it at the next country club!

Soxman 07-03-2015 08:42 PM

I agree with you 100%. They all seem to think that We need Them. They simply forget that we are all people who have survived many things in our lives and our very resourceful. We will spend where we are appreciated.

RetiredInTV 07-03-2015 09:20 PM

and at Evans Prairie

Little over 2 months ago there were issues with 4 meals in a group of 6 at Evans Prairie. I provided some feedback in a friendly tone through their web site. Management can't fix problems unless they are aware of the way food is served.

Never heard a thing back - was expecting some one would say they were sorry we had a bad experience, or may the food we weren't happy with is the way they serve food (i.e. maybe cold french fries are the new normal).

But nothing - and needless to say I haven't been back.

rjn5656 07-04-2015 05:52 AM

I sent a note to Glenview. Never heard back from them.

MikeV 07-04-2015 06:28 AM

I think these restaurants they call County Clubs are over rated. I seldom eat there. Many other eateries that are glad to serve.

golfing eagles 07-04-2015 07:30 AM

I'm a bit confused by this thread---it seems the majority opinion is that country club restaurants generally suck. Is this just a vocal minority complaining or are the problems described that prevalent?
I have had dinner at Palmer, Cane Gardens and multiple times at Evans Prairie, including large groups, and have never had a bad meal, bad service and certainly have not encountered rude servers or management. My wife is fairly picky about her food (sorry, that's an understatement---she is probably the pickiest in the universe---comes from her mother who was a professional waitress at a high end restaurant), so we have had to send food back. or change it, or add to it--just about every time, and have always been accommodated with a smile. She has called the manager over to compliment them. So, are we just lucky or are our experiences more typical????

newguyintv 07-04-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1082257)
I'm a bit confused by this thread---it seems the majority opinion is that country club restaurants generally suck. Is this just a vocal minority complaining or are the problems described that prevalent?
I have had dinner at Palmer, Cane Gardens and multiple times at Evans Prairie, including large groups, and have never had a bad meal, bad service and certainly have not encountered rude servers or management. My wife is fairly picky about her food (sorry, that's an understatement---she is probably the pickiest in the universe---comes from her mother who was a professional waitress at a high end restaurant), so we have had to send food back. or change it, or add to it--just about every time, and have always been accommodated with a smile. She has called the manager over to compliment them. So, are we just lucky or are our experiences more typical????

It's called the "Rose colored glasses syndrome".

Bogie Shooter 07-04-2015 08:45 AM

If it is so bad, why must I wait for a table some times?