Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Federal employees need to take a stand (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/federal-employees-need-take-stand-157864/)

pspano 07-15-2015 09:46 AM

Federal employees need to take a stand

We all go to great lengths to protect our personally identifiable information (PII) only to have the federal government allow for our information to be hacked. Thankful for the fact that they are offering identity protection for a short period of time. Federal employees need to take a stand and demand that it be made available for a lifetime. Family members whose information may have also been obtained should be afforded the same protection. The gov't knows who was behind this latest hacking incident and should take action to eliminate their products/services coming in to this country. Additionally, all Federal Employees and federal contractors (since their info may have been hacked as well) should take a stand and send a message - DO NOT PURCHASE ANY GOODS OR SERVICES THAT ORIGINATE IN OR ARE IMPORTED FROM THE COUNTRY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HACKING. LET'S SEND A STRONG MESSAGE AND HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS - IN THE POCKETBOOK.

jnieman 07-15-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pspano (Post 1087326)
We all go to great lengths to protect our personally identifiable information (PII) only to have the federal government allow for our information to be hacked. Thankful for the fact that they are offering identity protection for a short period of time. Federal employees need to take a stand and demand that it be made available for a lifetime. Family members whose information may have also been obtained should be afforded the same protection. The gov't knows who was behind this latest hacking incident and should take action to eliminate their products/services coming in to this country. Additionally, all Federal Employees and federal contractors (since their info may have been hacked as well) should take a stand and send a message - DO NOT PURCHASE ANY GOODS OR SERVICES THAT ORIGINATE IN OR ARE IMPORTED FROM THE COUNTRY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HACKING. LET'S SEND A STRONG MESSAGE AND HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS - IN THE POCKETBOOK.

My husband is a retired Federal employee and we received a letter that we were compromised in the hack. I also believe that they should protect us for longer than 18 months. This is serious business with them having taken such personal information including his social security number. One thing I was surprised is that they didn't offer the coverage for spouses.

mixsonci 07-16-2015 12:47 AM

I am a retired Federal worker (retired in December), however, I still have not received a letter. I'm wondering why not? I'm sure my information was in the same file as the rest.

rubicon 07-16-2015 04:03 AM

The hacking of OPM makes Snowden's espionage look minor in terms of the potential damage. This Administration held back information and played down its seriousness. If this doesn't jilt the reality of the important work the NSA was doing nothing will. Federal employees are not the only ones vulnerable because those hackers can pose themselves to be federal employees contacting people like you and me with all kinds of scams

jnieman 07-16-2015 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1087617)
The hacking of OPM makes Snowden's espionage look minor in terms of the potential damage. This Administration held back information and played down its seriousness. If this doesn't jilt the reality of the important work the NSA was doing nothing will. Federal employees are not the only ones vulnerable because those hackers can pose themselves to be federal employees contacting people like you and me with all kinds of scams

I held a secret security clearance for much of my 35 year career working for government military contractors and was appalled at what Snowden did. He should have been put in jail or worse. I remember going into the classified area every day and seeing the wanted posters on the wall for people like Snowden. I agree the NSA does very important work and shouldn't be hindered by the uninformed. They need to gather information to stop the terrorists from harming us and to stop these cyber crimes that put us in jeopardy.

MSNPA 07-16-2015 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixsonci (Post 1087614)
I am a retired Federal worker (retired in December), however, I still have not received a letter. I'm wondering why not? I'm sure my information was in the same file as the rest.

My husband and I both retired from the Federal Government. He received the letter a few weeks ago. I have not received a letter. Unsure of the reason.

Villageswimmer 07-16-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSNPA (Post 1087647)
My husband and I both retired from the Federal Government. He received the letter a few weeks ago. I have not received a letter. Unsure of the reason.

I haven't received a letter either. Maybe they missed us?

Villageswimmer 07-16-2015 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pspano (Post 1087326)

Wasn't it revealed to have been China? Good luck not buying products/services from them.

MikeV 07-16-2015 07:40 AM

Retired Federal Employee but no letter to date.

villages07 07-16-2015 11:08 AM

Retired 10 years ago. Got an email but not a letter. Signed up for the ID protection service. MR 07 retired long long ago...no letter or email.