Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Windows 10 Problem (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/windows-10-problem-159287/)

JEB01 08-07-2015 01:40 PM

Windows 10 Problem

I have a friend here in TV who downloaded Windows 10. It worked for him and he explored a bit, etc., using it. Before closing it, MS indicated add'l updates were needed and would load - instructed him not to turn the PC off and that to would turn itself off when completed. He waited overnight and when he booted today, first Windows 10 screen that presents requires password. He says he did not enter a password when he downloaded, nor did he have one on Windows 7 from which he upgraded. He and I both realize WIndows 10 is likely looking for an Admin password but he has no recollection of ever having created one and certainly not when downloading Windows 10.

His dilemma is that he cannot get past the p'word screen and there is no SAFE MODE boot available. Looking for suggestions / expertise to resolve this. Will deeply appreciate any thoughts or name of any experts who can talk him through this frustrating exercise. Thanks in advance.

Update 10:30 pm same day: as promised, Microsoft called him. They gave him a few keystrokes that will help him maneuver past the opening page and get him to a page where he can setup a pword or get his forgotten Microsoft account password (if that is the case). Gotta' say - a given the likely volume of issues they are handling worldwide with a rollout, MS did the right thing and did get BAK to him as promised.

THANK YOU to all who answered this post. Your generosity in sharing is amazing. Good advice from all. I passed all of your comments on to my friend and he is most appreciative.

Polar Bear 08-07-2015 01:46 PM

Windows 7 would have had at least one administrator level account, even if it was just a user account with administrative rights. Could that be what it's looking for?

vlm790 08-07-2015 01:51 PM

maybe just hit the arrow to bypass the password. act as though it was put in.

Sail41 08-07-2015 02:27 PM

Does he need a password when he turns on his computer? It may be the same. However, if you have a windows account, either on another device ie windows phone, that would be the password I would try. I had windows 7 and required a password upon turning on the computer. With 10, I had to have an account and it requires that password to get the computer going. So far it's working good, but will take quite of bit of new learning to get comfortable with 10.

Jima64 08-07-2015 02:57 PM

Password

I believe they wanted a microsoft account password. I did the windows 10 upgrade, then the updates and for the update I used my microsoft password and account name. To use windows when I normally turn on my computer I use my administrator password to use the computer.

Jima64 08-07-2015 03:02 PM

If he ever gets past this password problem and decides he doesn't like 10 he has 30 days to restore back to his wndows 7. I had too many conflicts on my game computer and had to do this. After 30 days windows removes his windows 7 and it becomes more difficult.

twoplanekid 08-07-2015 03:17 PM

Having worked with Microsoft for over 30 years on many of their best operating systems they ever made, I would recommend everyone wait a while before installing Windows 10 which is another one of their best operating systems they have ever made.

Mimivillager 08-07-2015 03:34 PM

JEB01
If you can do this for your friend-I know he cannot get on his computer
Go to thevillagescomputerclub.com and click on About us , then click on Officers
There you will find names and phone numbers of fellow villagers who can help
This club is wonderful and meets 2 times a month. They will come to your house for a fee.

Ragman 08-07-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1097095)
Having worked with Microsoft for over 30 years on many of their best operating systems they ever made, I would recommend everyone wait a while before installing Windows 10 which is another one of their best operating systems they have ever made.

My main computer guru has advised me to wait at least 6 months to install Windows 10 so Microsoft has time to work out the glitches.

If you don't really need the upgrade right now, I think that is good advice.

REDCART 08-07-2015 03:53 PM

Coincidentally I also installed Windws 10 on an HP desktop PC on Wednesday. Took approximately 90 minutes from download thru install and several automated restarts. Complete process went smoothly. Yesterday, there were several updates. Updates also went smoothly but I'm not a gamer and only use MS Office on this PC. Windows 10 migrated my user password from Win 7. The first time I tried the password in Win 10 I used the numeric keypad and it didn't work. (Numlock was on). I then tried the numbers on the top keyboard row, and user login worked. I've used the numeric keypad subsequently and that now works. I do not recall ever having a MS account or an MS password.

NYGUY 08-07-2015 08:27 PM

In mid July I bought a new 2 in 1 with Windows 8.1. I had a computer guy set up the new computer and he did a fix so that I did not need to input a password. I reserved a Windows 10 update and am waiting for notice that the download is available for me. I am hoping the password fix will transfer over to 10 (my password is from many moons ago when I had an MSN email a/c..I am lucky I remembered it).

Cedwards38 08-08-2015 06:56 AM

I'm also waiting for download notification. For those of you that have it already, what does 10 have that 7 doesn't? Thanks.

Biker Dog 08-08-2015 07:41 AM

:mad:I did a windows10 download and install on my windows7 laptop. I am the admin on my laptop. Windows10 made ALL my "document files" read only. It said I need to have the admin approval to remove the read only.. After working with it for almost 24 hours, I uninstalled windows10 and now I am using my windows7. HOWEVER, all my "document files" are still read only with the same statement to contact the admin to remove read only.

I have found a way to get around the problem but have not found a fix. BTW the property attributes do not show them as read only.

Typical microsoft glitches.:loco:

graciegirl 08-08-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1097095)

I very much respect this advice knowing your background. Would you think of consulting in TV? Many people would use your expertise.

red tail 08-08-2015 08:03 AM

I have it and I am not having any problems whatsoever. of course never say never...