Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   4 percent rule to high? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/4-percent-rule-high-161292/)

rjm1cc 09-02-2015 11:51 AM

4 percent rule to high?

This will be of interest to those that follow the 4% safe withdrawal rate discussions.

Why 4 percent rule Could Fail

2BNTV 09-03-2015 01:23 PM

I subscribe to the KISS theory, (keep it simple stupid).

I only apply the 4% rule for RMD, at 70 1/2 years old. That would put one at 95 1/2 years old.

Heck, if I make that age, I would be extremely happy. Besides, I figure that some of that RMD, would stay in other accounts, that would still be making money.

No one knows if medical cost would make one go broke, so one can only plan with some certainty. I for one, don't put too much stock in financial analysts that says, one solution fits all.

KayakerNC 09-03-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 1108376)

I only apply the 4% rule for RMD, at 70 1/2 years old. That would put one at 95 1/2 years old.

Not that simple, since your RMD percentage will increase every year. :shrug:

manaboutown 09-03-2015 05:48 PM

It depends on when you will require Depends.

rjm1cc 09-03-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 1108376)

Heck, if I make that age, I would be extremely happy. Besides, I figure that some of that RMD, would stay in other accounts, that would still be making money.

No one knows if medical cost would make one go broke, so one can only plan with some certainty. I for one, don't put too much stock in financial analysts that says, one solution fits all.

Based on historical returns the RMD is better than the 4% because it uses the year end investment balance. But the RMD % increases each year.

See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/uniform_rmd_wksht.pdf for a worksheet on how to calulate the RMD.

outlaw 09-04-2015 06:42 AM

A pretty much fail safe plan is to keep $2 million in cash for emergencies and to weather any downturns in the markets. Keep the rest of your money in lifestyle type funds that diversify and rebalance your money among several index funds.

rubicon 09-04-2015 01:43 PM

Th article states that retirement planning is relatively new? Retirement planning as been around my entire working life?

One option I selected was to build a ladder with my retirement saving that I could tap at the needed time. Another is to continue to save and invest.

My biggest concern is not whether I invested properly or if it will last because as i sit now my goal to pass my estate to my offspring is on target. However the state of our economy and the people running it don't seem qualified to lead including the FED which I believe should be abolished. We need to have regulations removed to assist business, reinstatement of decent interest for earnings/savings a reduction in taxes and a revamping of our tax code

tcxr750 09-05-2015 01:51 AM

If you haven't reached 70 1/2, now would be a good time to look at a Required Minimum Distribution calculator. In a conventional IRA you are required to withdraw $$$ from your IRA (not a Roth IRA) based on these calculations. This means your withdrawal rate will force your IRA depletion whether you want to or not. Assuming you live that long.
Add these withdrawals to your other taxable income sources.
I retired in 2000 and my IRA has been managed over the years by several advisors on the Barron's top 100 list. Those advisors investment performance has been underwhelming after the ever popular 1% management fee.
Again, if you have a conventional IRA check out the RMD calculator.
For a laugh I found an IRA projection I received in 2000 when the numbers used were based on annual returns of 9%. Still dreaming of the good old days.

Greg Nelson 09-05-2015 05:50 AM

I'm worried I may have to go back to work...What does the smart people think of Pimco's PHK?

outlaw 09-05-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Nelson (Post 1109140)
I'm worried I may have to go back to work...What does the smart people think of Pimco's PHK?

Don't worry. Work is good for the soul. I wish I had to go back to work.

pauld315 10-05-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1108616)
Based on historical returns the RMD is better than the 4% because it uses the year end investment balance. But the RMD % increases each year.

See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/uniform_rmd_wksht.pdf for a worksheet on how to calulate the RMD.

True, but just because you have to withdraw more than 4% due to RMD, doesn't mean you can't just reinvest it into a taxable brokerage account that you open at Scottrade for example. Currently, I don't withdraw anything from my IRA's living only on SS and my pension. When I turn 70 1/2 I will, of course, be subject to making withdrawals from my IRA's but right now I just plan on spending the first 4% of that withdrawal and reinvesting the rest in a taxable account until I decide it is time to just blow it all !

manaboutown 10-05-2015 04:30 PM

I heard of a fellow who spent almost all his money on wine, women and song. The rest he blew.

NYGUY 10-05-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1124868)
I heard of a fellow who spent almost all his money on wine, women and song. The rest he blew.

Love it!!

Maxman 10-24-2015 08:17 PM

Bogle: Tough Decade Ahead for Equity Investors

Jack Bogle the founder of Vanguard and index style investments voices his opinion on the next 10 years. It is very sobering.

Villageswimmer 10-25-2015 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlaw (Post 1109187)
Don't worry. Work is good for the soul. I wish I had to go back to work.

Okay, I'll bite. Why?