Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Support Groups (Click Here) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/support-groups-click-here-78/)
-   -   Bone Marrow Matches. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/support-groups-click-here-78/bone-marrow-matches-172542/)

Taltarzac725 11-25-2015 07:58 AM

Bone Marrow Matches.

Bone Marrow Awareness - Donate Blood

I have not done this? What's the process like? Being a Related Donor | BMT InfoNet

leftyf 11-26-2015 09:52 AM

I did it several years ago and have never been called. Oh well, I tried. They told me that after you reach 60 years old, you are not considered anymore.

Taltarzac725 11-26-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftyf (Post 1151172)
I did it several years ago and have never been called. Oh well, I tried. They told me that after you reach 60 years old, you are not considered anymore.

I do not have many years to go before hitting 60.

Bosoxfan 11-26-2015 10:35 AM

I've been donating platelets regularly for over 20 years. A few years back(5 or so) when I was in my early 50's I looked into being a marrow donor. They told me that at my age I would have to pay for the testing. This seemed strange that a donor would have to pony up any fees.

NotGolfer 11-26-2015 10:45 AM

If you have any auto-immune diseases I don't think you can do it neither.

vorage 11-26-2015 11:10 AM

I, too, was typed many years ago, but was never matched as a donor. Most matches are familial, but what a wonderful thing if you were able to save a life by donating. The typing is simple: they just take a little more blood while doing a whole blood donation and send it off for testing. That's it -you're in the system and will never be called on unless there is a potential match. Yes, there are age and health restrictions, but the center will carefully review those with you; the criteria may be adjusted from time to time, and what was true years ago may not be true now. I lived in a state where Red Cross was the sole blood services coordinator and you never paid for anything, so can't speak to the process here in Florida. Just imagine if everyone who was healthy would give blood, how many lives we could impact.

Taltarzac725 11-26-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorage (Post 1151208)
I, too, was typed many years ago, but was never matched as a donor. Most matches are familial, but what a wonderful thing if you were able to save a life by donating. The typing is simple: they just take a little more blood while doing a whole blood donation and send it off for testing. That's it -you're in the system and will never be called on unless there is a potential match. Yes, there are age and health restrictions, but the center will carefully review those with you; the criteria may be adjusted from time to time, and what was true years ago may not be true now. I lived in a state where Red Cross was the sole blood services coordinator and you never paid for anything, so can't speak to the process here in Florida. Just imagine if everyone who was healthy would give blood, how many lives we could impact.

Nice thought. Become a Donor | The Bone Marrow Foundation

leftyf 11-27-2015 09:12 AM

Just imagine if everyone was on the organ donor list, there wouldn't be a waiting list of people waiting for an organ. I have been on the organ donor list for a lot of years. When I do go, I won't be needing my organs anymore. Hopefully they will save a few lives too.