Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   Face to Face! Please read!!!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/face-face-please-read-17969/)

Guest 10-27-2008 09:22 AM

Face to Face! Please read!!!!

Here is the golden rule.

When posting here,or anywhere else on this forum, use exactly the same words and phrases you would use if you were face to face with the person to whom you are responding.

Anybody who uses contorted spellings of members screen names or makes statements that are inflammatory simply because they are hiding behind a keyboard, in my estimation, is a coward. That kind of activity was not okay in high school, and it's not okay here.

This also applies to private messages.

The administrators are real tired of receiving emails and messages about what members are calling each other and what one said about another. If you can't be civil here, please leave.

Guest 11-04-2008 04:46 PM

Good bye, Hope you have a happy life

I guess it's about time for me to leave. I posted a reply and it apparently was pulled. It seems to be alright if someone slams and seems to delight in adding jabs at every discussion but heaven forbid if a junior makes a statement it is pulled. Thanks but I guess if the number two poster can get away with this kind of crap and if they get called on it the post is pulled. Amazing just how political this forum really is.

Guest 11-04-2008 05:39 PM

Yours was pulled because you stooped to personal insult. We don't tolerate that, and we pull them when we see them. The number of posts a person makes here has no bearing on whether or not we pull posts.

We always dislike losing members, and you are welcome to stay, or leave, as you please.

Guest 11-04-2008 10:13 PM

I responded to the comment that was posted. C24 was the one who made the inference about money and class. I responded in the only way she (by the hundreds of posts made in political) might understand. I understand you feel it was a personal attack. I feel she made yet another personal attack on John Mc Cain. She made a very strong statement without checking to find out the facts in this matter. I called on her to apologize for that statement. I know you have the power to pull any post and did so but I feel you were very one sided on this particular issue. If my post needed to be pulled I don't understand why her post wasn't pulled also. She has called both Mc Cain and Palin names many times and that was OK? Oh, maybe I didn't understand. It becomes personal when someone mentions another poster but it is OK to slander anyone who isn't a poster? I don't want to argue the point but it seems to me that I am being made an example of. I have read in this forum where this poster has trashed every republican thought or idea by name calling or worse. I have been a life long democrat and it has been an embarrassment for me to read all the muck and mud this poster has made. You have got what you wanted. I won't bother you or this forum anymore.

Guest 11-04-2008 11:34 PM

Union,
You have to go back about 3 months but the same person along with the clique made nothing but personel attacks on me.
You are not alone.
Good Luck but know others agree with you. Nobody ever said life is fair. I bet this gets pulled! Hi Tony!

Guest 11-05-2008 12:11 AM

Best Mom

I bet you put me in "the clique". Well, guess what. I've been deleted and banned. The admins are not one sided. They don't want negative posts and I would suggest you think about what you write or you will be banned as I was.

It's time to be nice. History is in the past...let's move forward.

Guest 11-05-2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171592)
Best Mom

I bet you put me in "the clique". Well, guess what. I've been deleted and banned. The admins are not one sided. They don't want negative posts and I would suggest you think about what you write or you will be banned as I was.

BANNED is a harsh word, need to make sure it isnt CENSORSHIP also..

Guest 11-05-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Brightspot,

Bingo!!!!!

Boomer

Guest 11-05-2008 06:36 AM

I am a wuss and and a wimp and don't always lay it on the line, but I always agree with Boomer.

We Cincinnati girls know a "Bingo" when we see one.

Great words Brightspot!!!

Guest 11-05-2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171585)
Union,
You have to go back about 3 months but the same person along with the clique made nothing but personel attacks on me.
You are not alone.
Good Luck but know others agree with you. Nobody ever said life is fair. I bet this gets pulled! Hi Tony!

Some wonderful, never heavy, sweet, good people were banned by making negative statements, Best Mom.

This is the beginning of a new life on TOTV. Let's all embrace it.

Guest 11-05-2008 07:10 AM

Bright, Boomer, Gracie......Nice, very, very nice!

Guest 11-05-2008 08:25 AM

Just got here, slept in late and I agree, great posts Bright, Boomer, Gracie and Johnny M! :coolsmiley:

Guest 11-05-2008 08:32 AM

May we all move forward and let bygones be just that -- bygones. We don't have to be friends but that doesn't mean we can't show those here the same kindness and politeness we would a stranger. Here's hoping this is the start of new TOTV where the attacks are gone and the fun is always around.

Guest 11-05-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Best Mom

I agree. It is time to be nice, including being nice to BestMom. With the elections, and various things going on, some of us have been on edge, have been ridiculed, there have been a lot of emotional posts, etc. It is time to put the past behind us and move on. Let us all try and be friendlier. Tony, thanks for the new rule - in my opinion its a good one.

Guest 11-05-2008 09:35 AM

Agree

I agree with everybody!!!
Everybody have a great day.

Guest 11-05-2008 09:36 AM

Agreed!

Bright! You are 100% spot on. It's time to move on. People will be people, will be people. There will always be debates, they just should not be taken to a personal level between posters.

It's a new day! As my eloquent (Hahaha) daughter would say "Suck it up sistah!" (She has such a way with words. :1rotfl:)
"We're burnin' daylight." (Which I think means "Life is too short.")

Time to move past old hurts. :)

Guest 11-05-2008 09:43 AM

Spot on, Chels, Bright,Boomer,Gracie,

Guest 11-05-2008 09:46 AM

When people who don't even know someone and call them a racist,I find it hard to forgive and forget.
I'm sure they wouldn't say that to my face.:crap2:
As an aside,having a political forum might have bee a bad idea,I've seen politics ruin another great forum with over 500,000 members.

Guest 11-05-2008 09:52 AM

Aww

Eddie! Who called you a racist? Tell me and I will smack them. :boxing2: You're one of the sweetest guys I know. :wave:

Woot, chels

Guest 11-05-2008 09:55 AM

ejp, I agree with you 100%. Politics has caused hard feelings between so many people that could be good friends. This has been such a divisive time for us as a nation. I think Senator McCain showed utmost grace in his concession speech last night and I was energized by the Obama speech. I think they showed an America united. We should be united as well. It is over. I know it is often difficult to forgive things people have said and done. I hope everyone will forgive and forget some of the terrible things said on political. It's a new day in America. Let's move forward with a renewed sense of hope for a better tomorrow.. for America and the world. God Bless America!!!!!!!!!

Guest 11-05-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171640)

Be nice to Best Mom and everybody!

Guest 11-05-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171623)
Tony, thanks for the new rule - in my opinion its a good one.

GEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:cus: I wrote this rule......:grumpy: Why is Tony getting credit for it.:mad:

Guest 11-05-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171665)
GEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:cus: I wrote this rule......:grumpy: Why is Tony getting credit for it.:mad:

I will give you both credit for this rule and thank you for it. I think it is something we should all live by.
I loved TOTV and couldn't wait to read the threads--learned alot of things about so many different subjects and it was a fun place to be. Hoping it will become that again now that this election is over.

Guest 11-05-2008 10:23 AM

Jan, why does Tony get the credit??? He pays us to post praising him. :a20::a20::a20:

Guest 11-05-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171665)

No! TH, please! Please! Please! No!

Do not cast aspersions upon Tony.

We were all being so peaceful and nice this morning. I was so loving it.

Please do not make it the Jerry Springer Show by getting into a big brawl with Tony. OK?

Boomer

Guest 11-05-2008 11:04 AM

No brawl coming from here.

I have to leave now to mail out the checks.

Guest 11-05-2008 11:31 AM

Tony, I got my two dollars yesterday. You now have $1.75 credit.

Guest 11-05-2008 01:19 PM

Talk host,
That is a very good, easy to understand rule.

I enjoy this forum, but agree with some that the political forum, IMHO, was allowed to get too personal and nasty. It looked like in some cases it hurt friendships and people who in many cases are neighbors.

I am a moderator on a very large forum. I constantly have to remind posters to discuss ideas, viewpoints, etc respectfully WITHOUT being disrespectful to divergent views. On that forum, I have to sadly delete posts, ban posters, etc, all with the goal of keeping a healthy forum....weeding the garden so the flowers can grow, so to speak. It is a tough responsibility, not a power trip as some may think.

Usually great debates, controversies, etc, are just that because each side has some valid points, and we must strive to at least understand both sides, even when only agreeing with one. When we stoop to personal attacks, it just weakens our views, and does no good whatsoever. If one's viewpoint has any credence, it should be able to withstand debate and healthy discussion.

I agree with all those here who say, "Let's move on", but perhaps we do better for this forum by also learning some lessons here........

Afterall, most of us picked up, (or plan on) picking up our whole lives and at great expense decided on building a whole new life in paradise for the rest of our days......why would we do that, only to risk hurting the dream by making enemies instead of friends...??

Frank D.

Guest 11-05-2008 01:45 PM

TOTV is #1

I enjoy hanging out at several public forums, including the one Faithful Frank has mentioned (one of my favorites) but TOTV is very special in that it has a common goal - an appreciation of The Villages Lifestyle ! :a040:

I can understand why negative posts are frowned upon but from the perspective of a wannabee I seek the truth and hope to make friends.

I'm glad we all agree the success of any forum depends on the participants' respect for each other and the Administrators' duty to maintain control. It's gonna be a LONG...... BLEAK.....WET....... COLD....... winter ..... in s/Oregon and TOTV is where I'm gonna be :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Guest 11-05-2008 01:59 PM

TALKHOST....the rule you stated is just plain common sense and should be respected.

The reason I posted on this thread is two fold. Someone eary in the thread mentioned a "clique" and also mentioned about how perhaps a political forum was a bad idea.

Well, yes there is a "clique" but they are like the bullies we all recall from grade school, which I mention only to support those who have said that and been the victim of the same folks in some order following each other to attack.

More importantly the political forum does not cause bad manners. I have been discussing politics in one manner or another for years, and enjoy even heated discussions giving and taking. Yes, as someone once said, you dont change anyones mind, but you develop your mind this way. You may not convince me to change my mind but you may show me a different way to look at issues.

It does not have to ever get personal...oh, if someone makes it that way, not matter how hard you try you find yoruself responding.

Problem with political discussion is that folks who know very little about anything will go for the personal stuff....shoe color, etc and simply throw out small snippets with no link or backup to show that they ate least researched what they have to say and allow the others to read what they read IN CONTEXT.

I guess the bottom line of my wordy post is that I totally support your rule, imagine any fair minded person also does, hope you enforce it and thank you for this opportunity !

Guest 11-05-2008 02:52 PM

Bucco,

Your post is correct. The political area is a needed entity as so many people can learn from each other. You may never change their mind, nor they yours, but you may teach each other new ways of looking at our governement.

On a side note to others:

I see that the manager of this forum TH has posted this in the political area.

I think it should be noted for all areas of this internet site. As for any type of "clique" it seems everyone wants to make a new start. A lot of the rude statements were posted outside of political. My point in short is that we need to keep this "advice" within every area of this internet community.

The country is healing with the hope of the future. I hope this place will too. I am enjoying it for the most part.

Guest 11-05-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171640)

I agree we should all be kind to one another as life is too short. Have a good day all.

Guest 11-05-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171653)

It's a new day in America. Let's move forward with a renewed sense of hope for a better tomorrow.. for America and the world. God Bless America!!!!!!!!!

Sam, great post. I feel the same way. And I truly hope that we can all move forward in a positive way, treating each other with respect at all times. God Bless America.

Guest 11-05-2008 09:32 PM

Let me straighten a lamp shade here. That seems what I do a lot of.

Coney Island Babe said something about understanding why negative posts are frowned upon, and that she wants to see truth.

We, too, want to see truth.

Jan said if you can't say it face to face, don't say it.

I said if its personal insult, its going to be deleted.

We did not say we frown on negative posts. We have all seen a lot of them. We don't encourage them or discourage them. We have seen negative posts corrected by others.

We want fairness and civility and not only positive. And not only negative. Honesty. Fun.

Guest 11-05-2008 11:27 PM

Let me put my two cents in on this subject. I don't know which forum these alleged attacks took place, but if it was in the political forum, I have to tell you, it is a pretty tough place to post in. During the political campaigns, it got pretty nasty in there, and I have to be honest, I too got defensive at times. The topics are heated and passionate. I personally don't believe, if someone is talking trash, that they should be able to cry foul, when someone talks trash back. However, if it were in any other forum, I would feel very differently. Then I would say, string the perpetrator up... Well that might be a bit drastic. Maybe with the campaigns behind us, we can all be a little more civil to each other, and remember that we all share the same dream. Please don't pull my post? :undecided:

Guest 11-06-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 171812)
Let me straighten a lamp shade here. That seems what I do a lot of.

Coney Island Babe said something about understanding why negative posts are frowned upon, and that she wants to see truth.

We, too, want to see truth.

Jan said if you can't say it face to face, don't say it.

I said if its personal insult, its going to be deleted.

We did not say we frown on negative posts. We have all seen a lot of them. We don't encourage them or discourage them. We have seen negative posts corrected by others.

We want fairness and civility and not only positive. And not only negative. Honesty. Fun.

I have to agree with this, I made a post that I should not have. I did hear about it. After thinking more on the situation Tony, I have to agree with you and offer my apology. People do see things differently and if I stepped across the line I didnt mean anything by it. That applies to all who may have have thought it was out of line.

:beer3:

Guest 11-06-2008 07:14 AM

I look up to people who can and will apologize if after thinking about something they realize they could be mistaken. It shows depth, smarts, confidence and flexibility to grow.

Guest 11-06-2008 07:24 AM

BUT. If they continue to argue the same point after having said I'm sorry, then I want to smack them.

Guest 11-06-2008 11:54 AM

THANK YOU Tony.....

"We did not say we frown on negative posts. We have all seen a lot of them. We don't encourage them or discourage them. We have seen negative posts corrected by others.

We want fairness and civility and not only positive. And not only negative. Honesty "

Thank you Tony for stating your position on negative posts; I don't know where I got the idea they were frowned upon. As long as a person states his/her opinion in earnest, without malice or disrespect -- it should be acceptable to express the negative as well as positive aspects of life in TV -- and as a sincere wannabee -- I want to know it all !!

Thanks again, Admin - for your excellent product :coolsmiley:

Guest 11-09-2008 10:35 AM

Face to face

I believe an easy way to stop the insults is to have one's REAL name here , instead of phony "handles".

When your real name is used, the mud slinging will stop.

That's my message, and my REAL name is,

Tony Cirocco