Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Canadian pharmacies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/canadian-pharmacies-179963/)

mfette 01-26-2016 07:59 AM

Canadian pharmacies

Does anyone know of any reputable Canadian pharmacies and/or gotten any prescription drugs from Canada?

villagetinker 01-26-2016 09:08 AM

With all of the negative news, and the problems with untested drugs, I would never use these. It sounds like you are already aware of the concerns, and as I recall the local "Canadian" stores were specifically named in some of the articles. All I can say is be very careful, and research whomever you are buying from.

Jima64 01-26-2016 09:42 AM

be careful

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1177635)
With all of the negative news, and the problems with untested drugs, I would never use these. It sounds like you are already aware of the concerns, and as I recall the local "Canadian" stores were specifically named in some of the articles. All I can say is be very careful, and research whomever you are buying from.

I would also worry about some of the American companies and the quality of the meds and the employees, Heck, even my vet wants me to pay their outrageous prices for what I get from CanadaVet.

doran 01-26-2016 11:32 AM

Canadian Pharmacy

I have been using Canadian Pharmacy in Vancouver BC for the last 11 years--service is great and we never had any problems. 888-572-0832 Ashley--your physician must fax the prescription to them @ 866-290-2272 and they will mail the medication direct to you--takes around two weeks

tomwed 01-26-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doran (Post 1177702)
I have been using Canadian Pharmacy in Vancouver BC for the last 11 years--service is great and we never had any problems. 888-572-0832 Ashley--your physician must fax the prescription to them @ 866-290-2272 and they will mail the medication direct to you--takes around two weeks

I'm not being nosey about what meds you are taking. But would you share the American price and the Canadian price?

I don't know anything about this subject. But wouldn't your physician speak up if he didn't approve? "Great service and no problems",,,how can you beat that?

Barefoot 01-26-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1177635)

There was a lengthy documentary on television. I think it was on 60 Minutes or another of the investigative shows.
It was specifically about Canadian Meds and how most are manufactured in third-world countries.
And how many contain harmful products and bear no resemblance to the actual prescription written.
There was a store in The Villages featured in the documentary.
It's a scary world out there!
Be very sure that you know that you're dealing with a reputable company before you put unknown drugs in your body.

goodtimesintv 01-26-2016 01:58 PM

Better option is to have Sam's Club "plus" membership for $100 per year (instead of $45 for regular personal one), and get the prices they offer on the Extra Value Drug List.

Many drugs cost $4 or $10 cash price (no fooling around with insurance, deductibles, etc). See the list of prices in the lower half of this page:

Sam

billethkid 01-26-2016 03:20 PM

Some may not be aware that some of the largest drug manufacturers are in 3 rd world locations. One of the largest drug manufacturing locations are in India. The drugs you get at the local pharmacy.

Global Drugs Direct or example source from the same suppliers off shore.

Before my wife's cancer medication went generic we were getting it from Global Drug Direct....from India.....in the same box and container that we got at Walgreen's........delivered to the front door. Cost to us with insurance at Walgreen's over $800 for 89 day supply. From Global Drug Direct.......$135 for 90 day supply including shipping.

You will not see anything published about the advantages of some of these pharmacies as the domestic supply chain certainly does not want to lose a sale.
Then there is the issue of how legal or illegal is it.

For me, using a reputable company that sources from the same manufacturer for that amount of savings there is no contest.
Do I worry about if it is illegal. First of all the companies that do this are not dumb enough to put their business at risk. They may have to ship from India through Germany or Switzerland to comply......not an issue.

Secondly with all the corruption in the medical and pharmaceutical industry here in the USA, I am not concerned about being a priority.

Lastly in the current day use of selective enforcement, also no worry....or lmaybe I worry about as much as the folks marching in across the borders worry free.

It is a personal decision. And one must do their home work because there are any number of suppliers who do not use USA approved manufacturers.
There are thousands of pill mills in Mexico and Canada.

By the way that same medication today, the generic from Walgreens is $45 for a 90 day supply......from the same manufacturer. The pharmacy industry kept extending and the government approving the extension of the patent for over 8 years. Legal...yes. Right no.
Same way I felt about getting it through Global Drug Direct....legal ?.. ..right yes!

I am not proposing others do what I did.....just sharing my experience.

billethkid 01-26-2016 03:34 PM

PS.....not all Rx get that magnitude of savings....do the homework.

dbussone 01-26-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1177803)
PS.....not all Rx get that magnitude of savings....do the homework.

You are quite correct about locations of drug production. Most of the production previously made in the US has been moved to numerous location abroad. Ireland, india, and even China.

tomwed 01-26-2016 06:38 PM

This is very helpful. I'd be curious to hear what insight a doctor might add. Maybe that's unfair. But maybe some reputable weblinks might be helpful to learn more and draw your own conclusions.

kaydee 01-26-2016 10:24 PM

My pulmonologist suggested I use a Canadian Pharmacy so I call Canadian Meds Lady Lake 352-633-3301. The woman I spoke with was extremely informative. I'm told the manufacturer is Pfizer which is the same as Walgreens Walmart etc. I was even given prices for particular prescription drugs over the phone. I am ordering 2 particular medications.

tomwed 01-26-2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaydee (Post 1177954)
My pulmonologist suggested I use a Canadian Pharmacy so I call Canadian Meds Lady Lake 352-633-3301. The woman I spoke with was extremely informative. I'm told the manufacturer is Pfizer which is the same as Walgreens Walmart etc. I was even given prices for particular prescription drugs over the phone. I am ordering 2 particular medications.

thank-you for sharing

Markam 01-27-2016 12:24 AM

I used The Canadian Drugstore (TCDS | Canadian Drugstore) for an expensive TEVA drug when I hit the 'donut hole' last year. All went well and I paid 40% less - but now that a new year has started and I'm out of the DH, my cost is less than I paid thru TCDS.
I was given the opportunity to buy products made in India or Turkey. I chose the latter and it shipped from a pharmacy in Turkey. It performed just as well as the TEVA product made in Israel.

Cautions and considerations:
  • Your insurance will likely not cover meds bought from one of these 'Canadian' outfits.
  • Delivery for mine was quoted to be 3 weeks and that is about how long it took.
  • I got the impression I was dealing with a broker, rather than an actual mail-order pharmacy - like OptumRX in the US.

I would do it again.

Carla B 01-27-2016 10:54 AM

In ordering drugs from Canada I read where you should look for a company that is a member of Cipa (Certified Canadian International Pharmacy). I dealt with CanadaDrugs.com. Their website lists the origin of the drug. Mine was mfg. in Canada under a license from Pfizer. It appeared to have been shipped through Germany. There were no problems whatsoever.