Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   A somewhat different point of view ... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/somewhat-different-point-view-180835/)

Guest 02-01-2016 10:22 PM

A somewhat different point of view ...

... from an active political scientist (not me...):

Candidates know things about each other that the rest of us will never know. Remember what they say about each other. Yes, of course it's political grandstanding, and each hopes to win, but we know before anything is definite that the losers of each party will support the winner of the respective party.

So, remember what they say about each other, because there are truths there that we would not otherwise know. This applies to both parties. Hillary carries the baggage of her husband, no matter what, and she cannot escape it. Rubio, like Obama, has had little experience other than a few years as a US senator, for those who complained all along that Obama didn't have the experience for the presidency. These are just two examples.

The political health of our country is at stake. For those who say that this is business as usual, they may be right. But we at least can be as conscious as we can about who will ultimately be our candidates, and listening to them campaigning is important in knowing not only them but their opponents as well....

Guest 02-02-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1180531)

Candidates know things about each other that the rest of us will never know. Remember what they say about each other. Yes, of course it's political grandstanding, and each hopes to win, but we know before anything is definite that the losers of each party will support the winner of the respective party.

So, remember what they say about each other, because there are truths there that we would not otherwise know. This applies to both parties. Hillary carries the baggage of her husband, no matter what, and she cannot escape it. Rubio, like Obama, has had little experience other than a few years as a US senator, for those who complained all along that Obama didn't have the experience for the presidency. These are just two examples.

The political health of our country is at stake. For those who say that this is business as usual, they may be right. But we at least can be as conscious as we can about who will ultimately be our candidates, and listening to them campaigning is important in knowing not only them but their opponents as well....

You really should research Rubio before putting out false information regarding his experience.

Cruz: 45 years old and two years political experience in congress
Rubio: 44 years old and 15 years political experience including 4 years in the Senate.

He may look young, but he has every bit the right to run for president as anyone else. Kennedy was in his 30's.

Guest 02-02-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1180617)
You really should research Rubio before putting out false information regarding his experience.

Rubio: 44 years old and 15 years political experience including 4 years in the Senate.

He may look young, but he has every bit the right to run for president as anyone else. Kennedy was in his 30's.

And with the lowering of the qualifications bar by Obama's acceptance there is no issue!

Guest 02-02-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

No Kennedy was 43. You are writing this on a computer....look it up. You really should do YOUR research...

Guest 02-02-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1180633)
No Kennedy was 43. You are writing this on a computer....look it up. You really should do YOUR research...

You are totally right. It must have been the lack of coffee this morning. I have no idea why I said "30's" when everyone knows he was 43 years old. That was a big deal when he was elected. That and him being a Catholic.

My bad. I admit it. I am chagrined. :mornincoffee:

Guest 02-02-2016 09:06 AM

JFK was a member of congress at around age 30, and elected to the senate at age 36. THEN he was youngest elected president at age 43.

Guest 02-03-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

I was just using Clinton and Rubio as examples: Clinton having her husband as an albatross around her neck, and Rubio having the same (I should have said) US Senate experience as people have complained that Obama had and that it was inadequate. Again, these were just examples; I re-read what I wrote and see that I never mentioned Cruz.

My OP was before the Iowa caucuses. Things do change, don't they? Even so, I see the point that was made to me: to remember what these candidates say about each other. Granted we have to weed out the conspicuous lies, but beyond this, there are things they know about each other that we do not....

Guest 02-03-2016 09:04 PM

Quote:

Don't forget about all the experience he got working for his brother-in-law.

Guest 02-04-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1181308)
I was just using Clinton and Rubio as examples: Clinton having her husband as an albatross around her neck, and Rubio having the same (I should have said) US Senate experience as people have complained that Obama had and that it was inadequate. Again, these were just examples; I re-read what I wrote and see that I never mentioned Cruz.

My OP was before the Iowa caucuses. Things do change, don't they? Even so, I see the point that was made to me: to remember what these candidates say about each other. Granted we have to weed out the conspicuous lies, but beyond this, there are things they know about each other that we do not....

You make a good observation. However, there is NO perfect candidate. Never will be. Everyone filters the pluses and minuses of each candidate and then picks the one they find is closest to their ideology, and with the least corruption. Other than Hillary's followers. They choose out of their belief that she will be the first female president, whether she would make a good one or not. Same thing they did with Obama. They also support Hillary, even knowing that she is a felon, that she lies, that she stays with her husband for political gain only, and that she is culpable in the cover up in Benghazi. That is much worst than merely filtering through a candidate's faults.

Guest 02-21-2016 01:56 AM

Now more than ever!

As the primaries unfold, more than ever is the importance of remembering what candidates say about each other. They know things about each other that we'll never know, and now is the time to make note of them. Though this year is certainly different, when the primaries are over and each party picks a candidate, then the losing candidate(s) will support the winner--and to some extent the truth will disappear. And who knows? This year there could even be an independent running, which will certainly make things even more strange.

Guest 02-29-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1180531)

Not sure what baggage you're referring to here but it to any honest observer it is totally unfair if you're referring to Bill Clinton's sexual exploits. Now you may WANT to attach it to his wife but...... like I said, no honest observer would blame Hillary.

As a progressive I love sitting back and watching republicans show the world what classless, clowns are representing their party. Truth is, these classless clowns are just a reflection of the people of their party.

Guest 02-29-2016 01:37 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1192422)
Not sure what baggage you're referring to here but it to any honest observer it is totally unfair if you're referring to Bill Clinton's sexual exploits. Now you may WANT to attach it to his wife but...... like I said, no honest observer would blame Hillary.

As a progressive I love sitting back and watching republicans show the world what classless, clowns are representing their party. Truth is, these classless clowns are just a reflection of the people of their party.

All I can say is when someone throws rocks like the above....a person who belongs to a party that has as it's major choice to represent them in a presidential race....a felon.....a liar....an incompetent....professed continuation of Obama's reign....untrustworthy....self centered....unqualified....past her prime (if there ever was one)....whose only ohter claim to fame is being married to Slick Willie......

you really are high on the sauce....
you are a radical, no matter what partisan....
you have no idea what you just said.....

playing it safe would be all the above.

Guest 02-29-2016 02:45 PM

...and Trump, rubio, and Cruz represent class?

They are clowns riding around in circles in their Republican clown car in circles until te clown car goes over a cliff.

Hillary has testified in front of Gowdy's hearings and the Americans have seen those were totally partisan hearings that produced nothing except a waste of money.

In order to be a felon, you must be convicted of a felony. Oh, you are a Republican so you can say what you want? Get a life.

Lies? Look at Trump, Rubio, and Cruz as prime examples of liars.

Rubio will not even win his home state in the primary! He is a loser.

Guest 02-29-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 1181308)

I don't agree with your statement that Bill Clinton is Hillary's "albatross". My god, the economy was never better under his administration. We actually had a surplus. He is enormously popular with Democrats, despite the Lewinsky thing; his poll numbers were good when he left office, and still are. He has proven himself popular with the black voters, and they are an important part of the election equation, especially in the face of Trump's racism should he get the nomination.

Guest 02-29-2016 03:28 PM

So the downside for Rubio is listed above. However the baggage being carried by Hillary is being ignored

what a country!

Personal Best Regards: