Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Air Conditioning/Air Quality (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/air-conditioning-air-quality-393/)
-   -   Need humidistat education! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/air-conditioning-air-quality-393/need-humidistat-education-186918/)

bosbab 03-21-2016 08:24 AM

Need humidistat education!

New owner here is beginning to understand that we want to control the indoor humidity of our homes, especially when we're away, more so than its temperature. I don't think this house has a humidistat. Is that common with 10 year+ HVAC equipment? What's the general cost etc to install a programmable one & who are recommended people to do it?
Thanks for your 1st hand experience!

johnnyb 03-21-2016 08:31 AM

if you have one it will be close by the thermastat.
we installed one 3 years ago when we purchased the home.
called Munns, i remember the cost to be around a $150.
great money saver if the house is vacant during the summer.

justjim 03-21-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosbab (Post 1201633)
New owner here is beginning to understand that we want to control the indoor humidity of our homes, especially when we're away, more so than its temperature. I don't think this house has a humidistat. Is that common with 10 year+ HVAC equipment? What's the general cost etc to install a programmable one & who are recommended people to do it?
Thanks for your 1st hand experience!

OP, most older units (10 years and older) did not have a humidistat. Many newer homes do and for about 200.00 you can get one installed. Well worth the money.

RickeyD 03-21-2016 09:42 AM

Need humidistat education!

A Humidistat will be much more effective if the fan speed can be slowed down. Most fan motors are multi speed. Tech needs to install a relay so that on a call for dehumidification the fan will slow down, otherwise most of the energy will be used to decrease the house temperature rather than dehumidify.

Phanatic Luvr 03-21-2016 10:11 AM

Hi Bosbab! In what neighborhood do you live? Most homes below 466A, except for some in Sanibel and Charlotte, have a programmable thermostat which you can set your humidistat, however, it is a bit different than the ones you can install below the thermostat which cost approx. $200. If you have one of the newer ones, your humidity should be set at 60% and your temp no higher than 83*. This will allow the a/c to start working when either the humidity or temperature in the home exceeds 60% or 83*. If you have an after market one, you should set the humidistat at 60% and a/c at 78*. This kind of humidistat works off the humidity alone in your home and if it exceeds 60%, will allow the a/c to start working. I frequent many homes with both kind during the summer months and some homes with the kind installed below the thermostat on the wall, which operate by the humidity alone, the temperatures can reach as high as 89* in the homes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a private message with your #.

Nu2thevillage 05-15-2016 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr (Post 1201722)
Hi Bosbab! In what neighborhood do you live? Most homes below 466A, except for some in Sanibel and Charlotte, have a programmable thermostat which you can set your humidistat, however, it is a bit different than the ones you can install below the thermostat which cost approx. $200. If you have one of the newer ones, your humidity should be set at 60% and your temp no higher than 83*. This will allow the a/c to start working when either the humidity or temperature in the home exceeds 60% or 83*. If you have an after market one, you should set the humidistat at 60% and a/c at 78*. This kind of humidistat works off the humidity alone in your home and if it exceeds 60%, will allow the a/c to start working. I frequent many homes with both kind during the summer months and some homes with the kind installed below the thermostat on the wall, which operate by the humidity alone, the temperatures can reach as high as 89* in the homes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a private message with your #.

We'll be closing on our home in Charlotte soon, how can I tell if the home has a humidistat? In the newer homes would it be built into the programmable thermostat or is it a separate device?

rubicon 05-16-2016 05:46 AM

One of the first things we did when we moved into our new home here was install a programmable thermostat to control indoor humidity which we desire to be below 50 because above 50 with moisture is ideal for mold/mildew build up.

We waited for 9 years and then upgraded to a new HVAC, all appliances including garbage disposal because builders usually do not install top of the line.

Now only if I could trade in my old body for a new one. Hmmmm
Back to the gym;)

biker1 05-16-2016 07:56 AM

The newer homes with Carrier systems have a humidistat built into the programmable "thermostat". I do not believe it has the ability to ramp down the fan speed. It will bring the temperature below the set point in an attempt to meet the desired humidity. It may not be turned enabled but a quick Google search will show you how to turn it on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nu2thevillage (Post 1227169)
We'll be closing on our home in Charlotte soon, how can I tell if the home has a humidistat? In the newer homes would it be built into the programmable thermostat or is it a separate device?