Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pickleball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/)
-   -   Which racquet sport to choose (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/racquet-sport-choose-188088/)

charmed59 03-30-2016 10:39 AM

Which racquet sport to choose

My husband and I are thinking of moving to TV. Presently I play tennis 5 times a week in season, and three times a week in the winter, leaving days open for paddle tennis. I play to a 3.5/4.0 level.

To you tennis players that retired to TV, did you find enough tennis to satisfy your addiction? Or did you switch over to paddle or pickleball? Or do you play all three?

misky 03-30-2016 01:02 PM

I play tennis 3x/wk (3.5 level) and pickleball 3x/wk (4.0 level). There's plenty of pb open play everyday in the mornings. There's open tennis also, but the levels are mixed. I suggest finding a closed group looking for players at your level. You will find many closed groups looking for new members. Good luck.

Chi-Town 03-30-2016 01:16 PM

You have a choice of tennis, platform tennis, or pickleball. There are no paddle tennis courts that I know of. Some people confuse platform with paddle, but they are two different games. Pickleball is closer to paddle tennis than platform tennis.

Topspinmo 03-30-2016 06:07 PM

Actually you have many choices. Added to the above badminton, table tennis, masters tennis, and beach tennis. There are groups of all levels of tennis. Most tennis players quickly pickup pickleball and find it enjoyable and can be highly competitive depending on what level you obtain or just for fun.

You can play PB everyday from 7am to at least 10am in open times at all levels depending on location. You can even play singles PB scheduled twice week.

Organized country club tennis at Glenview tennis center and individual group organized play all over the villages. IMO as more baby boomers retire and move here it will just get better. Not week goes by that I don't play with newbie usually.

Charlie J 03-30-2016 08:57 PM

If you decide to stick with tennis, be kind to pickleball players. Most of the tennis players here are very arrogant to the pickleball courts.

Charlie J 03-30-2016 08:59 PM

If you are a good sport and just enjoy playing make sure you sort out the bad guys and find the right place to play

charmed59 03-31-2016 04:48 AM

Are the platform courts raised with slats? Or are they a surface closer to a tennis hardcourt?

Bay Kid 03-31-2016 07:35 AM

Glenview Tennis Club has lots of good tennis. Great courts.

Chi-Town 03-31-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed59 (Post 1206454)
Are the platform courts raised with slats? Or are they a surface closer to a tennis hardcourt?

They are ground level hardcourts with no slats (no need for a heater underneath or slats to drain).

CFrance 03-31-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1206498)
Glenview Tennis Club has lots of good tennis. Great courts.

But you do have to pay to play there, don't you?

I play a lot of pickle ball and have never been yelled at by a tennis player. I'm scratching my head over that comment...

Marathon Man 03-31-2016 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie J (Post 1206422)
If you are a good sport and just enjoy playing make sure you sort out the bad guys and find the right place to play

That's what I do on this forum.

Mudder 03-31-2016 09:42 AM

There are two clay court facilities here, many courts, pay to play on these courts, many levels. Tons more hard courts, some drop in open tennis, but most people quickly find groups that are compatible to their level. You can play 7 days a week here outdoors. But beware, most tennis players pick up pickleball and it becomes very very addicting!

Topspinmo 04-02-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie J (Post 1206421)
If you decide to stick with tennis, be kind to pickleball players. Most of the tennis players here are very arrogant to the pickleball courts.

Snobby country club types (mostly ladies):22yikes:don't like the noise. Thats why tennis courts should be separated from pickleball courts.

jojo 04-02-2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1207570)
Snobby country club types (mostly ladies):22yikes:don't like the noise. Thats why tennis courts should be separated from pickleball courts.

Ouch. I play at least 4 times a week at three different courts and have never heard complaints about pickleball. I cannot believe that this is a prevalent issue.

Topspinmo 04-02-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo (Post 1207620)
Ouch. I play at least 4 times a week at three different courts and have never heard complaints about pickleball. I cannot believe that this is a prevalent issue.

I wouldn't say prevalent but, did witness it at Chula when I played league 10 to noon.