Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   No Access for a Week (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/no-access-week-190653/)

Carl in Tampa 04-22-2016 11:38 PM

No Access for a Week

I was in the process of posting a message last Monday when suddenly I lost connection with TOTV.

Since that time I have attempted repeatedly every day to get on the site without success. It times out with no response from the web site.

Then today (Saturday morning at 12:30AM) access is restored.

Did anyone else have this problem, and is there any explanation for why it happened to me (or us?)

jimbo2012 04-23-2016 05:20 AM

did you try clearing your cashe?

Taltarzac725 04-23-2016 05:58 AM

Many had problems about ten days ago but they seemed to have fixed that. It was a phisher/spoofer targeting the Internet Service Provider with some kind of involvement with the domain host.

I am sure there are still these phishers/spoofers around like those damn "Nigerians" they seem to be an ever present threat on the Internet. They pop up on my Facebook page a few times a week with creative scams. They pretend to be running a Facebook Lottery and if you send them some money they will give you your winnings-- blah, blah, blah.

biker1 04-23-2016 06:40 AM

In the future, try rebooting your router and your computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1216260)
I was in the process of posting a message last Monday when suddenly I lost connection with TOTV.

Since that time I have attempted repeatedly every day to get on the site without success. It times out with no response from the web site.

Did anyone else have this problem, and is there any explanation for why it happened to me (or us?)

Miguel 1952 04-23-2016 06:57 AM

Yes, I had the same problem for a week and it suddenly came back. I did report the problem.

CWGUY 04-23-2016 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1216260)

:024: Didn't you get this e-mail?

Dear Talk of The Villages User,

At the beginning of this week we started to get reports from some (not every) user(s) that when they tried to access TOTV they were redirected to other websites other than TOTV. We've been diligently working on this and wanted to give a follow up for those users that were impacted by this.

1) TOTV software was NOT hacked or compromised.
2) Not all users were impacted - so you may not even realize there was an issue.
3) The company that hosts the server that TOTV is on had the issue.
4) Any website on that server was being redirected.
5) We didn't have available updates sooner as we were waiting on the hosting company to fix and report back facts.
6) No user account or password was compromised as the TOTV software was secure and had no virus, malware, or corrupt files on it.
7) After the issue was fixed your ISP would be refreshing their data and this propagation time will vary in the amount of time to update. Century Link users seem to have been the most affected by this.

We want to apologize 1) for the delay in updating those users impacted but we were trying to get all the facts together on the issue and 2) want to thank you for your patience during this frustrating period over these days!

Thanks for all your patience and suppport!

TOTV Team

Carl in Tampa 04-23-2016 05:26 PM

Back at last.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 1216268)
did you try clearing your cashe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1216299)
In the future, try rebooting your router and your computer.

I might have tried these things if the problem involved more than one web site. It was only TOTV. And of course, the computer was turned on and off daily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1216287)
Many had problems about ten days ago but they seemed to have fixed that. It was a phisher/spoofer targeting the Internet Service Provider with some kind of involvement with the domain host.

Yes, I was aware of the former problem, but I received a message from TOTV that said that issue had been resolved before it began to happen to me.

Anyway............ I'm glad to be back.

Missed you guys.

Nucky 04-23-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1216637)
I might have tried these things if the problem involved more than one web site. It was only TOTV. And of course, the computer was turned on and off daily.

Yes, I was aware of the former problem, but I received a message from TOTV that said that issue had been resolved before it began to happen to me.

Anyway............ I'm glad to be back.

Missed you guys.

We need a voice of reason. Glad your back to!