Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Booze & Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/booze-books-199011/)

dewilson58 06-24-2016 02:04 PM

Booze & Books

"Take that, Amazon! Barnes & Noble hopes that booze will lure book lovers back to its stores.

Barnes & Noble announced Thursday that it planned to open four new concept stores this fiscal year that will have an expanded food menu -- and also serve beer and wine. But no vodka. Sorry, Chelsea Handler.

The first store will open in Eastchester, NY in October. Three more are set to open at the Edina Galleria in Edina, MN, the Palladio in Folsom, CA, and at One Loudon in Loudon, VA."

:posting:

ukbill70 06-24-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1245301)
"Take that, Amazon! Barnes & Noble hopes that booze will lure book lovers back to its stores.

Barnes & Noble announced Thursday that it planned to open four new concept stores this fiscal year that will have an expanded food menu -- and also serve beer and wine. But no vodka. Sorry, Chelsea Handler.

The first store will open in Eastchester, NY in October. Three more are set to open at the Edina Galleria in Edina, MN, the Palladio in Folsom, CA, and at One Loudon in Loudon, VA."

:posting:

I have often thought that this is a retail opportunity missed. Go to any large ladies clothing store and you will find our Wives spending hours looking , feeling , touching and then the inevitable "I'm just going to try these on and then we can go" which takes another 1/2 hour. The menfolk can usually be found sitting on chairs near the entrances or wandering aimlessly around looking at their watches. What a difference it would make if a small bar could be set up in a corner of the store, the Ladies could shop, their husbands could have a couple of drinks the store would make a couple of extra bucks and everyone would be happy. We might even ask you to try on a couple more outfits, (as long as you don't actually buy them !.

Barefoot 06-24-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukbill70 (Post 1245310)
Go to any large ladies clothing store and you will find our Wives spending hours looking , feeling , touching and then the inevitable "I'm just going to try these on and then we can go" which takes another 1/2 hour. The menfolk can usually be found sitting on chairs near the entrances or wandering aimlessly around looking at their watches.

I've always marveled at the ladies with husbands that wait patiently and look at their watches.
How do you get them to do that?

Schaumburger 06-24-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1245363)
I've always marveled at the ladies with husbands that wait patiently and look at their watches.
How do you get them to do that?

As I teenager/young adult, occasionally I would accompany both of my parents on a shopping trip. My mother would linger in the jewelry department checking out the merchandise. My father's words to her were "Evelyn, let's keep a move on."

When my sisters and I reached our teen years, our father would pay us to shop for him for my mom's birthday/Christmas/anniversary gift. He didn't have to go to the mall, my sisters and I made a little extra $ and my mother didn't get a weed whacker, tape measure or some other unwanted gift that my father thought would be useful. It was a win-win for all parties. :)

tippyclubb 06-24-2016 11:22 PM

I opt out of drinking booze and reading books. I did it once and couldn't remember what I read.

Boomer 06-25-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tippyclubb;1245***
I opt out of drinking booze and reading books. I did it once and couldn't remember what I read.

:)

Well then, there is also drinking booze and writing books.......

F. Scott Fitzgerald. William Faulkner. Stephen King. Edgar Allan Poe. Ernest Hemingway..............

Greg Nelson 06-25-2016 07:32 AM

I quit drinking but continue to read..still have a hard time remembering..sometimes reading half of a book and then realize I've read it before! We missed out on renting in TV this winter. Looking like a desert experience for a change. Green Valley in January...

Chi-Town 06-25-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukbill70 (Post 1245310)
I have often thought that this is a retail opportunity missed. Go to any large ladies clothing store and you will find our Wives spending hours looking , feeling , touching and then the inevitable "I'm just going to try these on and then we can go" which takes another 1/2 hour. The menfolk can usually be found sitting on chairs near the entrances or wandering aimlessly around looking at their watches. What a difference it would make if a small bar could be set up in a corner of the store, the Ladies could shop, their husbands could have a couple of drinks the store would make a couple of extra bucks and everyone would be happy. We might even ask you to try on a couple more outfits, (as long as you don't actually buy them !.

While going to school I worked part time at Bonwit Teller which was an exclusive women's store on Michigan Ave. At Christmas they would make a section of the upper floor a bar for the men to pass the time while their wives shopped. Between the camaraderie and drinks on the house they never hunted for their wives to hurry them out.

Schaumburger 06-25-2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1245519)
While going to school I worked part time at Bonwit Teller which was an exclusive women's store on Michigan Ave. At Christmas they would make a section of the upper floor a bar for the men to pass the time while their wives shopped. Between the camaraderie and drinks on the house they never hunted for their wives to hurry them out.

Bonwit Teller...I haven't heard that name in quite a while. I think their store in Chicago was in the John Hancock building. I haven't shopped on Michigan Avenue in quite some time...saving money for my future home in The Villages :laugh:

OhioBuckeye 06-27-2016 08:06 AM

Never knew booze would be a draw to get people to read books. Well whatever works!

ukbill70 06-27-2016 09:29 AM

Bonwit Teller...I haven't heard that name in quite a while. I think their store in Chicago was in the John Hancock building. I haven't shopped on Michigan Avenue in quite some time...saving money for my future home in The Villages

Woodfield Mall is a lot closer

BobandMary 06-27-2016 08:19 PM

My book club has a wine problem!

dbussone 06-27-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobandMary (Post 1246626)
My book club has a wine problem!

Are you certain? There's a high probability your wine has a book club problem. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk