Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Air Conditioning/Air Quality (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/air-conditioning-air-quality-393/)
-   -   Air Conditioner Noise (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/air-conditioning-air-quality-393/air-conditioner-noise-200015/)

Villager1181 07-03-2016 09:56 AM

Air Conditioner Noise

Anyone having problems with a neighbors air conditioner being loud right next to your bedrooms. Had A/C people out and they said nothing is wrong with the unit. Is it getting old - only 3 1/2 years old. Any suggestions for a solution. If it was mine I would take care of it but neighbors are not forthcoming. We are awakened every time the a/c runs.

Bogie Shooter 07-03-2016 10:01 AM

How long have you lived in your house? How long has the noise been a problem?

Jima64 07-03-2016 01:17 PM

Is the noise just a very loud ac unit or sound like something is wearing out like a bearing?

Marathon Man 07-03-2016 01:21 PM

A/C people looked at it and said it was OK. So I am not sure what the next step would be, or how you would take care of it if it were yours. If it is OK, what sould the neighbors be forthcoming with?

villagetinker 07-03-2016 02:01 PM

The only other possibility would be a sound absorbing fence or similar structure if the neighbors would agree, of course check with ARC. You might offer to share the cost. If not, you could try heavy sound absorbing curtains in your house.
Hope this helps.

2BNTV 07-03-2016 02:42 PM

My neighbor had a problem with her A/C as it was making a high pitch sound. I mentioned to her and she had it fixed.

I would ask them again to listen to their A/C, it must be bothering them too! Unless they have a hearing loss?

I think they might be fibbing in saying they had it checked out. IMHO

Villager1181 07-03-2016 04:02 PM

We have been here 4 years. About 2 years ago we had same problem and Sunshine air put vibration absorbing rubber pads under it. It was ok until about 2 months ago. We were there when Sunshine checked it this week. He said it is just loud now but not defective. It affects our 3 bedrooms. Wakes us up when it comes on. We are worried about guests in those rooms and we hear it in the master bedroom. We are researching fences. It is not the neighbors fault. The houses are just too close together. The neighbor is sympathetic but money conscious when it comes to remedies. Our question is whether the fences actually work. We will spend what it takes to correct this.

villagetinker 07-03-2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager1181 (Post 1248970)
We have been here 4 years. About 2 years ago we had same problem and Sunshine air put vibration absorbing rubber pads under it. It was ok until about 2 months ago. We were there when Sunshine checked it this week. He said it is just loud now but not defective. It affects our 3 bedrooms. Wakes us up when it comes on. We are worried about guests in those rooms and we hear it in the master bedroom. We are researching fences. It is not the neighbors fault. The houses are just too close together. The neighbor is sympathetic but money conscious when it comes to remedies. Our question is whether the fences actually work. We will spend what it takes to correct this.

Villager1181,
Try Googling "ac condenser noise reduction", it looked like there were several possible solutions.
Hope this helps.

Bogie Shooter 07-03-2016 07:45 PM

Quote:

Fences? No fences.

biker1 07-03-2016 08:27 PM

I have had HVAC systems that had a noise reduction "blanket" around the compressor. My current system here doesn't have one. You might wish to ask an HVAC vendor if installing a noise reduction blanket around the compressor is possible. Most of the noise should be coming from the compressor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager1181 (Post 1248820)
Anyone having problems with a neighbors air conditioner being loud right next to your bedrooms. Had A/C people out and they said nothing is wrong with the unit. Is it getting old - only 3 1/2 years old. Any suggestions for a solution. If it was mine I would take care of it but neighbors are not forthcoming. We are awakened every time the a/c runs.

Lisa64 07-04-2016 07:06 AM

Our blades needed to be adjusted, but I would think they would have checked that out.

DonH57 07-04-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Those pads have worn or got bumped out of place. Some thick bushes placed between their unit and your windows would help quiet the sound keeping in mind to space them away from the unit so it can breathe.I'm sure you'll find the solution.

JP 07-04-2016 09:25 AM

I have a white noise app that I downloaded to my iPhone and I use it every night. It blocks out all kinds of my house noises, neighbors A/C noises, garbage pick up noises that would normally wake me up. It's great.