Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Houses of Worship in the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/houses-worship-villages-75/)
-   -   St. Timothy Catholic Churcch (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/houses-worship-villages-75/st-timothy-catholic-churcch-200978/)

quinnpd 07-10-2016 03:22 PM

St. Timothy Catholic Churcch

Can someone tell me why there are armed Sumter county sheriff deputies inside the church during mass???

Rapscallion St Croix 07-10-2016 03:26 PM

I'll take a guess. They are worshipping.

Bjeanj 07-10-2016 03:32 PM

I actually asked an officer a few weeks ago. He said something to the effect that it was out of an abundance of caution, coming from the "higher ups", which I took to mean the Bishop. However, in retrospect it could also have meant *their*bosses. I think they started coming after the Pope spoke out on some social issues. Next week, you can ask them yourself. They are pretty open.

600th Photo Sq 07-10-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinnpd (Post 1252295)
Can someone tell me why there are armed Sumter county sheriff deputies inside the church during mass???

Out of curiosity is this church the " Only " one with police presence. Now in this very small area there are many,many places of worship that means we may want to consider hiring more police officers or try to reduce the amount of sinners or would be sinners..
Actually my first thought was they were asked to guard the collection. But..silly me

This idea of having a police officer(s) present is well beyond stupidity.

njbchbum 07-10-2016 06:42 PM

Perhaps getting in out of the weather before returning outside to direct traffic?

dbussone 07-10-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Maybe they are Catholic and attending Mass. I've seen policemen in church since I was a little kid. You were more likely to see it if you grew up in a city, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KittyKat 07-11-2016 01:03 AM

Maybe they were attending Mass for spiritual healing due to Dallas. Were they standing at the back, like guards, or in a pew?

rubicon 07-11-2016 03:49 AM

Directing traffic

dbussone 07-11-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1252441)
Directing traffic

That too!

outlaw 07-11-2016 07:38 AM

[QUOTE=600th Photo Sq;1252341]Out of curiosity is this church the " Only " one with police presence. Now in this very small area there are many,many places of worship that means we may want to consider hiring more police officers or try to reduce the amount of sinners or would be sinners..
Actually my first thought was they were asked to guard the collection. But..silly me

This idea of having a police officer(s) present is well beyond stupidity.[/QUOTE]

As is your comment. Why would you think a church is immune to violence? Maybe they were worshiping. Maybe there was a threat made on the church.

graciegirl 07-11-2016 07:40 AM

Could very well be, Outlaw. Excellent thoughts.

But it makes me wonder too. So much bitterness and bad stuff goin' on. I need to take this advice;

Quit watchin' the news. Love Thy Neighbor.

dbussone 07-11-2016 08:08 AM

Many of the larger churches in our area have police officers to assist with traffic control. I believe this is the most common reason one sees a police presence. However there are also churches which have (designated) members armed during services for the protection of the congregation.

rubicon 07-11-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1252531)
Many of the larger churches in our area have police officers to assist with traffic control. I believe this is the most common reason one sees a police presence. However there are also churches which have (designated) members armed during services for the protection of the congregation.

dbussone Also LOE stay after church services to confess their sadness and guilt to clergy for writing out so many traffic tickets and violations:laugh:

dbussone 07-11-2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1252730)
dbussone Also LOE stay after church services to confess their sadness and guilt to clergy for writing out so many traffic tickets and violations:laugh:

Only if they are Catholic! The other LEOs just leave.

rubicon 07-12-2016 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1252972)
Only if they are Catholic! The other LEOs just leave.

Yea your right Catholic suffer from guilt. However a bright spot in all of this is that I reason every time I top a 3 iron its that less time I spend in Purgatory. It pays to be a bad golfer

Northerner52 07-12-2016 05:34 AM

There was a concern about the collection being stolen

graciegirl 07-12-2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northerner52 (Post 1253015)

How do you know this? Why just the Catholic collection? I understand the Lutherans and the Baptists and the Methodists have generous and loving members too.

photo1902 07-12-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Because a deputy shouldn't be unarmed.

CWGUY 07-12-2016 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northerner52 (Post 1253015)

:pray: BINGO!

graciegirl 07-12-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1253085)
:pray: BINGO!

I can't think Father Ed would be concerned about money, about us maybe.

justjim 07-12-2016 08:28 AM

At New Covenant United Methodist we have a Sumter County Deputy directing traffic but no armed Deputies in the Worship Center that I know about. However, all are welcome. We all go because we are sinners not because we are good.

Bonny 07-12-2016 11:57 AM

I would think because they have to be out there ready to direct traffic that while they are waiting, they go to church. They are already armed as officers. I doubt they are going to leave their gun in their squad car.

Jima64 07-12-2016 01:31 PM

Rather have them there just in case.

daveczo 07-12-2016 01:43 PM

If you watch them during service they follow the collection money from the back to the front and watch it deposited in the room to the right of the altar. That is why they are there.

Bogie Shooter 07-12-2016 05:48 PM

It's really a shame that we are told every day to leave in fear.

600th Photo Sq 07-12-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveczo (Post 1253245)
If you watch them during service they follow the collection money from the back to the front and watch it deposited in the room to the right of the altar. That is why they are there.

Perhaps I was right after-all in my initial reason why the police were present...however they were asked why they were there and the reason that they gave...well read the police response given at the time.

To me ..follow the $$$$$ the Church is usually packed which of course means of course Dough...Rea....Meeeeeeeeeee in the collection basket, it used to be a plate now they are pretty good size Basket's.

Life is good !! :plane:

ColdNoMore 07-12-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveczo (Post 1253245)

Seriously?

Anyone who has been to St. Peter's Basilica can't help but be completely overwhelmed at the riches exhibited just in that one location.

My wife, a lifelong Catholic, actually weeped thinking about it.

Since I don't want to turn the thread into one that will get locked, I won't even get into asking why so much more is needed.

Bavarian 07-19-2016 01:44 PM

A few weeks back, at St. Vincent dePaul, Fr. Pietro made an announcement before Mass that the deputies are hear to protect us now," don't worry all the doors are guarded, etc" the deputies are always there to direct traffic and we have cars coming in for the next Mass while we are leaving. Did not know why, maybe a threat from Islamic Terrorists? Or they came in to keep cool in the A/C. They couldn't stay for whole Mass as they direct traffic.

No explanation from Father other just him saying don't worry.

Bavarian 07-19-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1253348)
Seriously?

Anyone who has been to St. Peter's Basilica can't help but be completely overwhelmed at the riches exhibited just in that one location.

Since I don't want to turn the thread into one that will get locked, I won't even get into asking why so much more is needed.

We were there last April. Had to go thru metal detectors and have bags X-Rayed. At the other Basilicas also. Too many terrorists.

graciegirl 07-19-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1253348)
Seriously?

For centuries people have tried to give glory to God by building beautiful churches. People of all faiths have done this since the beginning of civilization. There are mosques, temples, pyramids and shrines.

As for St. Timothy's I can tell you why the collection is taken and tell you of all of the good works and outreach projects they do. But if you don't know, it doesn't matter.

God knows.

vbsheriff 07-27-2016 04:55 PM

I guess after the beheading of a priest in Normandy France we should be greatful for the security offered at St. Timothy 's. Too many of us live in a fantasy land where they believe nothing can happen here. Crime prevention starts with "target hardening" by reducing the perception of opportunity for the criminal.

graciegirl 07-27-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbsheriff (Post 1261311)
I guess after the beheading of a priest in Normandy France we should be greatful for the security offered at St. Timothy 's. Too many of us live in a fantasy land where they believe nothing can happen here. Crime prevention starts with "target hardening" by reducing the perception of opportunity for the criminal.

So sad. Priest and Martyr. It is too much for the world to bear. No religion says to kill innocent people, not any religion involved with the God I know.

We need to make some unpolitically correct decisions.

birdawg 07-28-2016 09:58 AM

The reason for the Police presence at St. Timothy's is because Father was accosted by some Thugs who came into the Church. I for one am very grateful that they are there!

Taltarzac725 07-28-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdawg (Post 1261664)
The reason for the Police presence at St. Timothy's is because Father was accosted by some Thugs who came into the Church. I for one am very grateful that they are there!

Police are a good to have in many circumstances.

graciegirl 07-28-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdawg (Post 1261664)

Now we know. Sad. Very sad indeed.

crabbyannie1 07-28-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq (Post 1252341)
Out of curiosity is this church the " Only " one with police presence. Now in this very small area there are many,many places of worship that means we may want to consider hiring more police officers or try to reduce the amount of sinners or would be sinners..

This idea of having a police officer(s) present is well beyond stupidity.

There is a police presence at St. Vincent de Paul's also. I was told this is due to the amount of $$$ involved at the collections, which is substantial.

maweakley 08-02-2016 02:12 PM

St. Vincent de Paul off duty police direct traffic.

New York Transplant 08-02-2016 03:03 PM

ummmm, probably attending mass