Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Houses of Worship in the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/houses-worship-villages-75/)
-   -   St. Timothy Catholic Churcch (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/houses-worship-villages-75/st-timothy-catholic-churcch-200978/)

quinnpd 07-10-2016 03:22 PM

St. Timothy Catholic Churcch

Can someone tell me why there are armed Sumter county sheriff deputies inside the church during mass???

Rapscallion St Croix 07-10-2016 03:26 PM

I'll take a guess. They are worshipping.

Bjeanj 07-10-2016 03:32 PM

I actually asked an officer a few weeks ago. He said something to the effect that it was out of an abundance of caution, coming from the "higher ups", which I took to mean the Bishop. However, in retrospect it could also have meant *their*bosses. I think they started coming after the Pope spoke out on some social issues. Next week, you can ask them yourself. They are pretty open.

600th Photo Sq 07-10-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinnpd (Post 1252295)
Can someone tell me why there are armed Sumter county sheriff deputies inside the church during mass???

Out of curiosity is this church the " Only " one with police presence. Now in this very small area there are many,many places of worship that means we may want to consider hiring more police officers or try to reduce the amount of sinners or would be sinners..
Actually my first thought was they were asked to guard the collection. But..silly me

This idea of having a police officer(s) present is well beyond stupidity.

njbchbum 07-10-2016 06:42 PM

Perhaps getting in out of the weather before returning outside to direct traffic?

dbussone 07-10-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinnpd (Post 1252295)

Maybe they are Catholic and attending Mass. I've seen policemen in church since I was a little kid. You were more likely to see it if you grew up in a city, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KittyKat 07-11-2016 01:03 AM

Maybe they were attending Mass for spiritual healing due to Dallas. Were they standing at the back, like guards, or in a pew?

rubicon 07-11-2016 03:49 AM

Directing traffic

dbussone 07-11-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1252441)
Directing traffic

That too!

outlaw 07-11-2016 07:38 AM

[QUOTE=600th Photo Sq;1252341]Out of curiosity is this church the " Only " one with police presence. Now in this very small area there are many,many places of worship that means we may want to consider hiring more police officers or try to reduce the amount of sinners or would be sinners..
Actually my first thought was they were asked to guard the collection. But..silly me

This idea of having a police officer(s) present is well beyond stupidity.[/QUOTE]

As is your comment. Why would you think a church is immune to violence? Maybe they were worshiping. Maybe there was a threat made on the church.

graciegirl 07-11-2016 07:40 AM

Could very well be, Outlaw. Excellent thoughts.

But it makes me wonder too. So much bitterness and bad stuff goin' on. I need to take this advice;

Quit watchin' the news. Love Thy Neighbor.

dbussone 07-11-2016 08:08 AM

Many of the larger churches in our area have police officers to assist with traffic control. I believe this is the most common reason one sees a police presence. However there are also churches which have (designated) members armed during services for the protection of the congregation.

rubicon 07-11-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1252531)
Many of the larger churches in our area have police officers to assist with traffic control. I believe this is the most common reason one sees a police presence. However there are also churches which have (designated) members armed during services for the protection of the congregation.

dbussone Also LOE stay after church services to confess their sadness and guilt to clergy for writing out so many traffic tickets and violations:laugh:

dbussone 07-11-2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1252730)
dbussone Also LOE stay after church services to confess their sadness and guilt to clergy for writing out so many traffic tickets and violations:laugh:

Only if they are Catholic! The other LEOs just leave.

rubicon 07-12-2016 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1252972)
Only if they are Catholic! The other LEOs just leave.

Yea your right Catholic suffer from guilt. However a bright spot in all of this is that I reason every time I top a 3 iron its that less time I spend in Purgatory. It pays to be a bad golfer