Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Athena Diner (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/athena-diner-203297/)

jblum315 07-28-2016 12:33 PM

Athena Diner

Has anyone tried the new Athena Diner, located on 441 at Griffin View Road?

wjoyc56 07-30-2016 08:11 PM

Athena NY Diner

Yes, we have been there 3 times, including opening night. Twice for dinner and once for breakfast. This place is a beautiful restaurant. Very close to home for us and easy parking. We really like it and the woman who owns it, ELENA is always there making sure everything is perfect.

jgm3279 07-30-2016 08:38 PM

So glad to hear this.....will watch for more comments. I'm anxious to go there, my birthday is coming up soon!

xhippee 08-01-2016 07:09 AM

Went there last night, with a group. Underwhelmed, to say the least. Ambience: zero; service, one good, attentive server, three others were not. The food: I could find nothing fresh on anyone's plate. From canned green beans (veg of the day), to warmed over gyro meat, wilted salad, and an over priced "rib eye" that was fatty and extremely thin. Grape leaves stuffed with a mushy, inedible substance. For my $45 I'll go elsewhere.

BerniceD 08-01-2016 07:44 AM

I ate there a week after it opened. I thought the food was okay, the service was awful. It took the waitress a half hour to cash out our checks. Greek salad was good, Moussaka was good but served cold. We went in shortly after 6 and left at 8:30. Can't say I would go back.

alanmcdonald 08-01-2016 08:37 AM

We were there last Friday. OK but nothing special. Had the meatloaf parm. Good size portion. Very slow service. Bad smell we could not identify.

alancusa 08-01-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmcdonald (Post 1264203)
We were there last Friday. OK but nothing special. Had the meatloaf parm. Good size portion. Very slow service. Bad smell we could not identify.

The smell is Bar B Q from the previous restaurant at that location.

CSilvestrucci 08-02-2016 08:03 AM

I've been there several times and no one in our group has had a bad meal. Service can be a little slow but they just opened and the servers are learning. I am so happy they are back. Love the place and the family who owns it!

Carla B 08-13-2016 03:26 PM

My husband and I went there for lunch. We shared a Greek salad and also shared a gyro with French fries. The salad was large and fresh and the gyro was really good with very hot French fries. We'll go again.

rivaridger1 10-14-2016 09:45 AM

My wife and I tried it for lunch about 2 PM. Good service but the food was not. The Spanakopita we had as an appetizer was still cool in the middle not being properly warmed up. The beef on the " Beef on Weck " was cooked way too long and was beyond well done. The gyros sandwich was passable. I will give them credit for the french fries which were hot and fresh. Might, or might not give it another try, but all in all, not impressed.

johnboy 10-14-2016 09:48 AM

Athenia Diner

After they scammed me and so many others who had gift cards and never reimbursed us I refuse to even give them a try. Hopefully they will fold and learn you don't treat your loyal customers that way!

Skip 10-14-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboy (Post 1306322)
After they scammed me and so many others who had gift cards and never reimbursed us I refuse to even give them a try. Hopefully they will fold and learn you don't treat your loyal customers that way!

Not the same owners. This is Christopher's father. Long time owner of restaurants up north. Chris (Sr.) has nothing to do with his son, Christopher, who now owns FlapJack Johnny's in Groveland. You can talk to Christopher there.

Skip

alancusa 10-14-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 1306361)
Not the same owners. This is Christopher's father. Long time owner of restaurants up north. Chris (Sr.) has nothing to do with his son, Christopher, who now owns FlapJack Johnny's in Groveland. You can talk to Christopher there.

Skip

Birds of a feather flock together! Making excuses to those of us who got screwed won't work. They were very much a team when they closed up shop in TV and took off with our prepaid money.

Skip 10-15-2016 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alancusa (Post 1306410)
Birds of a feather flock together! Making excuses to those of us who got screwed won't work. They were very much a team when they closed up shop in TV and took off with our prepaid money.

I understand many people got their money back by calling Christopher on the phone. But I did not buy any certificates and you're right, it's not a nice thing to do.

Skip

Cathy H 10-15-2016 09:22 AM

another so-so eatery here, but the fries are good!