Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Question for part time villa renters (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/question-part-time-villa-renters-203995/)

Lbmb24101 08-02-2016 04:46 PM

Question for part time villa renters

Do you allow your villa renters to use your golf cart?
I know it is a 'no no', so , where do you keep your golf cart while the renters are in your villa?
I am posting this question on behalf of a friend.
Do you leave your cart inside or outside the villa garage?Any ideas/suggestions/advise is welcomed.

Thank you!

Daddymac 08-02-2016 05:06 PM

Why would they not be allowed .???

Fredster 08-02-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddymac (Post 1265147)
Why would they not be allowed .???

Because the cart insurance might not cover renters!

redwitch 08-02-2016 05:16 PM

Just leave it in the garage with no keys available.

RickeyD 08-02-2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1265155)
Just leave it in the garage with no keys available.

In the case of a gas cart, remove the battery.

Lbmb24101 08-02-2016 07:36 PM

So , if cart is left in garage, renters would need to leave their car outside, correct?

ColdNoMore 08-02-2016 07:40 PM

Take the keys out and make them sign a paper...that they agree not to drive it. :shrug:

2BNTV 08-02-2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredster (Post 1265151)
Because the cart insurance might not cover renters!

This was the case when I rented.

Most patio villas fit a car and a cart. I know mine does.

It's safe in TV, I leave my electric cart in the garage with the keys in it, with the garage door closed.

That was a good one that said take the battery out in a gas cart! :1rotfl: Serious leg pulling, on that statement.

Fraugoofy 08-02-2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 (Post 1265138)
Do you allow your villa renters to use your golf cart?
I know it is a 'no no', so , where do you keep your golf cart while the renters are in your villa?
I am posting this question on behalf of a friend.
Do you leave your cart inside or outside the villa garage?Any ideas/suggestions/advise is welcomed.

Thank you!

I knew a guy who rented his patio villa out and he didn't want anyone driving his cart so he took one tire off of it and let it sit in the garage that way for 6 months...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Mikeod 08-02-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 (Post 1265239)
So , if cart is left in garage, renters would need to leave their car outside, correct?

No. Villas have at least room for a car and a cart. Now, if the owner has filled some garage space with storage, there may not be room for the car, but I don't think that's common.

Wing-nut2 08-03-2016 06:18 AM

I always allowed my renters use of the cart.

asianthree 08-03-2016 07:58 AM

What happen if renter want to rent their own cart? Where do they put it in a patio villa, if your cart is there. Storage at cart barn would solve your problem

RickeyD 08-03-2016 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraugoofy (Post 1265255)
I knew a guy who rented his patio villa out and he didn't want anyone driving his cart so he took one tire off of it and let it sit in the garage that way for 6 months...

Smart man.

Lbmb24101 08-03-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1265457)
What happen if renter want to rent their own cart? Where do they put it in a patio villa, if your cart is there. Storage at cart barn would solve your problem

Asianthree, would you send me info about the cart barn , please?

DONKEY10 08-03-2016 12:42 PM

I keep my golf cart inside the garage and the renters rent their own golf cart. I give them $10/day off the rent to rent a golf cart. I dont want to deal with the liability if they crash and get hurt with my cart.

Lbmb24101 08-04-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DONKEY10 (Post 1265661)
I keep my golf cart inside the garage and the renters rent their own golf cart. I give them $10/day off the rent to rent a golf cart. I dont want to deal with the liability if they crash and get hurt with my cart.

Good suggestion.
Thanks!

asianthree 08-04-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 (Post 1265613)
Asianthree, would you send me info about the cart barn , please?

I got the number off this site. Should be able to do search for cart barn

LatDoc 08-11-2016 06:28 AM

Since it seems most rentals include a cart, my guess is you won't have to worry since you're unlikely to rent your unit.
Take a peek at the rental site. I've rented five times and always had a cart included.

Sandtrap328 08-11-2016 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatDoc (Post 1269816)
Since it seems most rentals include a cart, my guess is you won't have to worry since you're unlikely to rent your unit.
Take a peek at the rental site. I've rented five times and always had a cart included.

What did the owner of your rental unit do about insurance for the golf cart? It is my understanding that insurance companies do not insure a cart for property damage or liability if it is used by a renter. The fault would lie with the owner in case of an accident even if caused by his tenant.

It would be extremely foolish for anyone to have an uninsured golf cart.

bbbbbb 08-11-2016 09:51 AM

On the carts, it is our understanding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IF you let anyone use your cart and if there is a major problem, you are the owner, you may be held liable so if you loan it with a rental, you need a separate statement of responsibility and an OK from your insurance carrier and perhaps, written paperwork, that you will not be liable. Be careful, you do not want someone driving and owning your new SUV.

bbbbbb

Sandtrap328 08-11-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbbbb (Post 1269918)
On the carts, it is our understanding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IF you let anyone use your cart and if there is a major problem, you are the owner, you may be held liable so if you loan it with a rental, you need a separate statement of responsibility and an OK from your insurance carrier and perhaps, written paperwork, that you will not be liable. Be careful, you do not want someone driving and owning your new SUV.

bbbbbb

If the separate statement of responsibility is from your renter, I doubt if an insurance company would take that. In ANY case, be sure to have written proof from your insurance carrier that you would be covered - or take the cart keys with you - and maybe the steering wheel locked, too.

Nope, we have all worked too long and hard to lose everything in an easily preventable liability lawsuit.

CassieInVa 08-12-2016 01:05 AM

My attorney and others told me that it is a bad idea. My insurance company basically said they don't cover renters, but I could just leave it out of the rental agreement and let them use it as "friends". Bad advice, as my attorney says if they get hurt, or hurt or kill someone, I am responsible. And that could wipe a landlord out.

RickeyD 08-12-2016 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassieInVa (Post 1270398)
My attorney and others told me that it is a bad idea. My insurance company basically said they don't cover renters, but I could just leave it out of the rental agreement and let them use it as "friends". Bad advice, as my attorney says if they get hurt, or hurt or kill someone, I am responsible. And that could wipe a landlord out.

Many people listen to whatever they want to hear. You're smart, others not so much.

Schaumburger 08-13-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassieInVa (Post 1270398)

Just wondering why so many landlords take a chance then of possibly getting wiped out financially and let tenants use a golf cart with a rental unit?

villagerjack 08-13-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 1265249)
This was the case when I rented.

Most patio villas fit a car and a cart. I know mine does.

It's safe in TV, I leave my electric cart in the garage with the keys in it, with the garage door closed.

That was a good one that said take the battery out in a gas cart! :1rotfl: Serious leg pulling, on that statement.

Why do you say that?

Sable99 08-14-2016 09:08 AM

I took the keys out of my cart and brought them to Michigan; but, I have an extended two cart plus cart garage. My cart is insured by The Villages Insurance and their policy does not cover renters. My property manager told me that she heard that The Villages Insurance were going to start covering renters in September. I haven't heard anything from them about this yet!

mscocco 12-06-2016 01:34 PM

Well, here it is December as yet, the Villages Insurance STILL does not have a rental policy available despite saying they're working on it since last May, at least as long as I've been asking about it....

spring_chicken 12-06-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1269845)
What did the owner of your rental unit do about insurance for the golf cart? It is my understanding that insurance companies do not insure a cart for property damage or liability if it is used by a renter. The fault would lie with the owner in case of an accident even if caused by his tenant.

It would be extremely foolish for anyone to have an uninsured golf cart.

Some insurance companies DO allow and cover it. It's been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Like the other poster said, the overwhelming majority of rentals come WITH a cart. Not everyone in TV is running around looking for the falling sky.

ricthemic 12-06-2016 04:08 PM

It is IMO (and my Insurance company's atty) do not allow anyone to use your golf cart, that would also include friends and neighbors who hv guest in town. The Florida courts have determined that golf carts are a "Dangerous Instrumtality" and if the owner has given permission for others to use it, the the owner is responsible. It's not worth it to save somebody $10
Dangerous Instrumentality As Applied To Incidents Involving Golf Carts In Florida — callahan & fusco, LLC.

RickeyD 12-06-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1330468)
Some insurance companies DO allow and cover it. It's been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Like the other poster said, the overwhelming majority of rentals come WITH a cart. Not everyone in TV is running around looking for the falling sky.

Please site which insurance companies cover renters and owners using a golf cart. And please no temporary ownership (techniques) to cover the owner and renters as a way to circumnavigate the law.

spring_chicken 12-07-2016 07:04 AM

Allstate covered mine.
Also, let's clear up another chicken little theory that is floated out of ignorance on this board ad nauseum.
You will not LOSE EVERYTHING if you are sued in a liability case. In Florida, NOBODY CAN TAKE YOUR HOME OR YOUR RETIREMENT FUNDS if you lose a lawsuit.
It's getting very old hearing the same false, paranoid scenario posted here constantly.

Fraugoofy 12-07-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1330720)
Allstate covered mine.
Also, let's clear up another chicken little theory that is floated out of ignorance on this board ad nauseum.
You will not LOSE EVERYTHING if you are sued in a liability case. In Florida, NOBODY CAN TAKE YOUR HOME OR YOUR RETIREMENT FUNDS if you lose a lawsuit.
It's getting very old hearing the same false, paranoid scenario posted here constantly.

I used to have Allstate. I don't anymore.

They told me I can not advertise my cart with the rental and none of my rental paperwork can reflect I am renting the villa with a cart. They told me I can not have the renters sign a liability statement, but that I was supposed to "lend" the renters the cart. Sounded all very fishy to me.

Has anyone had any experience with Allstate actually covering a golf cart acccident? Would love to hear about it. Many thanks and peace out...

outlaw 12-07-2016 09:01 AM

Has anyone on here actually been sued involving their golf cart? "Not so much" was clever 5 years ago, now, not so much.

Chatbrat 12-07-2016 01:48 PM

If you let renters use your cart-& something goes wrong you can be sued into oblivion

ricthemic 12-07-2016 11:11 PM

Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1330720)
Allstate covered mine.

In Florida, Nobody....... What if you are one of many thousands of snowbirds who own a village house but their legal residence is not in Florida? Is their out of state house and savings still protected?
Also you said "if you lose a law suit" win or lose when you are getting sued as the owner of the golf cart.... Who pays your attorney and all legal fees?
I think this is an important topic, especially for relatively new people who may not have experienced the ad nauseum as u hv

CassieInVa 12-08-2016 10:07 PM

I use Allstate for home, auto, etc and they told me that Allstate does NOTcover golf carts driven by a renter. The cart is covered, but not if a renter is using it. They said if I want to include it with the rental, it is on me and if something were to happen, we should just say the "renter" driving is just a friend ("wink wink").

I didn't feel comfortable with that, so no cart included with our rental villa. If there was a fatal accident and investigation, I don't want to be on the wrong side of that situation.