Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   TRANSPORTATION in TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/transportation-tv-210227/)

BirdBrain 09-16-2016 04:00 PM

TRANSPORTATION in TV

Is there any inexpensive transportation in The Villages? I can't drive and usually take the Sumter county bus (Sumter County Transit), but it doesn't run on weekends or go to Spanish Springs with the exception of the hospital and medical clinics. I don't want to have to pay $$$s in cab fares just to get to a certain place in TV.

lafalot 09-16-2016 04:18 PM

Maybe Uber will come to The Villages

Barefoot 09-16-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lafalot (Post 1290201)
Maybe Uber will come to The Villages

Previous threads have indicated Uber is already available in TV.
Some say yes; some say no. I personally have no idea. :confused:

JGVillages 09-16-2016 07:21 PM

Uber is in The Villages. My neighbor drives for them. Probably limited amount of drivers but that will change gradually.

villagetinker 09-16-2016 07:22 PM

Uber depends on having drivers sign up in a specific area, and then make them selves available for hire. I am guessing that we do not have sufficient coverage yet. Also, with some of the recent changes made to the Uber system, the fares may not be a cheap as they were when the service first started.

Opmoochler 09-17-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGVillages (Post 1290305)
Uber is in The Villages. My neighbor drives for them. Probably limited amount of drivers but that will change gradually.

Interested to hear this. A friend who drives for Uber in Vero Beach area was visiting recently and went online to see if there were any drivers here, and there wasn't a single one! Our learning disabled son works at Havana CC and depends on us for transportation to and from work. Walking would be terrific exercise (we are 1.2 miles away), but he can't safely get from Hadley across or under Morse Blvd or Odell Circle. Walking/biking through the golf cart tunnel is way too dangerous, and he does not have the judgement to drive a golf cart. The paths may be multi-modal, but the tunnels definitely aren't! I had hoped Uber might work for us.

Barefoot 09-17-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGVillages (Post 1290305)

Could you please share with us how we would contact Uber in The Villages?

villagetinker 09-17-2016 12:34 PM

My understanding, you download the uber app to your smart phone, and sign up with a credit card. All of the transactions are done by the app on your phone. No idea how you would be able to use uber without a smart phone and the app.

kaseydog 10-19-2016 03:03 PM

How do i order service from laptop?

mulligan 10-24-2016 07:32 AM

I don't believe you can. Smart phone only.

terriG 10-25-2016 12:40 PM

I used Uber last night to go to Lake Sumter, but was unable to get a return ride after the entertainment. I use it frequently in Broward County and really love it. Just hope it expands here as there seems to be a need. It helps the local economy as well as employ local drivers.

N44125 10-25-2016 03:56 PM

You can use a tablet to order uber. I use an Apple iPad and it works. Key is that the tablet, iPad, smart phone must have GPS capability.

The Chipster 10-26-2016 06:43 PM

Uber

To anyone reading this thread who would like some part time work: so many people in The Villages use Uber elsewhere, it is odd there are not enough Uber drivers in here. It is is simple to get set up as a driver, you use your own car, riders and drivers are reviewed after each ride, it is extremely safe, and you will meet a lot of interesting people. We really need Uber here.

Fraugoofy 10-26-2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chipster (Post 1311065)
To anyone reading this thread who would like some part time work: so many people in The Villages use Uber elsewhere, it is odd there are not enough Uber drivers in here. It is is simple to get set up as a driver, you use your own car, riders and drivers are reviewed after each ride, it is extremely safe, and you will meet a lot of interesting people. We really need Uber here.

How does ur insurance cover the riders?

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

The Chipster 10-27-2016 06:39 PM

Insurance

I am not sure about the insurance - good question. I feel certain all questions regarding being a driver would be covered here: Sign Up to Drive or Tap and Ride | Uber. My wife and I have used Uber in more than 10 countries. Every driver has been polite, friendly, and happy with their job (usually part time). The cost is usually much less than a classic taxi, there is no exchange of cash at the end of the ride, no tipping, etc. - a real displacement technology all controlled with your smartphone. Extremely simple.