Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   Strange Grass (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/strange-grass-214846/)

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 10-19-2016 11:46 AM

Strange Grass

Does anyone know what the grass is that seems to be on a lot of executive course fringes and tees? It looks like the branches of an evergreen tree. Is this supposed to be there or is it some kind of weed?

village dreamer 10-19-2016 12:05 PM

torpedo grass

DonH57 10-19-2016 12:20 PM

Good question. It's almost like velco to golf balls!

graciegirl 10-19-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1308164)
Good question. It's almost like velco to golf balls!

DON'T smoke it!!!

Villager Joyce 10-19-2016 12:57 PM

Take a sample to the UF Extension folks that are at the Pinellas Library in Fridays.

perkfarm 10-19-2016 01:41 PM

as previous poster..torpedo grass

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 10-20-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager Joyce (Post 1308179)
Take a sample to the UF Extension folks that are at the Pinellas Library in Fridays.

What time are they there?

DonH57 10-20-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1308169)
DON'T smoke it!!!

Not good. Too many chemicals and pesticides!

Villager Joyce 10-20-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1308547)
What time are they there?

I'm not sure. Sorry!

ColdNoMore 10-20-2016 05:13 PM

In anticipation of the medical marijuana bill passing, The Developer is once again at the vanguard of seizing profit opportunities and has begun testing new strains of it...right under the noses of clueless Frogs.

:D

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 10-20-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perkfarm (Post 1308194)
as previous poster..torpedo grass

I've been around golf courses up north and, to a lesser extent, down south but I've never seen this stuff before on a golf course.

I worked at three different golf courses in Florida and I've played tournaments down here and I don't recall ever seeing torpedo grass on a golf course.

Is this some kind of weed that has infiltrated our courses or was it deliberately planted? It doesn't seem to be the type of grass that belongs on a golf course, especially fringes. On most course I've played, the fringes are the same type grass as the greens but cut slightly higher.

Is there any way to communicate with the powers that be to discuss this or any other issues?

DonH57 10-20-2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1308619)
I've been around golf courses up north and, to a lesser extent, down south but I've never seen this stuff before on a golf course.

I worked at three different golf courses in Florida and I've played tournaments down here and I don't recall ever seeing torpedo grass on a golf course.

Is this some kind of weed that has infiltrated our courses or was it deliberately planted? It doesn't seem to be the type of grass that belongs on a golf course, especially fringes. On most course I've played, the fringes are the same type grass as the greens but cut slightly higher.

Is there any way to communicate with the powers that be to discuss this or any other issues?

I'm playing Silver Lake tomorrow I'll ask the guys there if they know what kind of grass it is.:thumbup:

kcrazorbackfan 10-20-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1308619)

Golf Management Solutions. 352.753.3396

Mikeod 10-20-2016 07:04 PM

The prevailing weeds on the courses are goose grass which is somewhat like crabgrass but has longer stolons, and paspalum which is similar to the hybrid bermuda on our greens, but has a slightly thicker/wider blade and more yellow-green than the Bermuda grass.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 10-21-2016 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1308661)
The prevailing weeds on the courses are goose grass which is somewhat like crabgrass but has longer stolons, and paspalum which is similar to the hybrid bermuda on our greens, but has a slightly thicker/wider blade and more yellow-green than the Bermuda grass.

So this "torpedo grass" (assuming that's what it is) is purposely planted on the fringes and tees?

I thought that pretty much the entire golf courses were planted in some sort of hybrid Bermuda.

Most of the golf courses I've played outside The Villages were Bermuda tees, fairways and rough except in the winter when roughs, greens and aprons were over seeded with annual rye grasses.

I've noticed that the fairways on most of the courses I've played in TV are longer than on courses that I played in Florida in the past. I am surprised that they left Bermuda fairways that high. But then again, maybe they're not Bermuda.

I've played mostly executive courses, but I have played a few of the championships and none of the fairways I've played are like what I've played in Florida in the past.

But that's another subject. I'm more interested in this stuff on the fringes and aprons. It seems to be prevalent on the tees as well, but that doesn't bother me so much as I tee the ball up.