Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Premium Change (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/premium-change-214954/)

Paper1 10-20-2016 08:03 AM

Premium Change

I'm going to be eligible for social security on Mar 1st of next year. My wife is a year younger than I am. I have been trying to find out what happens to our family premium on March 1st when I drop off the policy. I have all the info I need about Medicare rates but cannot find out what happens to her costs. Speaking to Florida Blue this morning it sounds like our plan terminates when I go on Medicare and she has to re-apply for her own policy. We are currently paying for our own insurance at a very high cost so I'm very concerned about this very loose sounding procedure. Has anyone on this forum have experience with this? Thanks

villagetinker 10-20-2016 08:15 AM

Try calling SHINE they may be able to help. If you do a search for SHINE on this site, you will find the contact info, as I have posted this several times.

rjm1cc 10-20-2016 06:18 PM

I assume from your statement that you are not getting insurance from an employer. That is you are paying directly to the insurance company. My assumption would be that you drop off the policy and your wife continues at a reduced premium that you keep paying.
Going on Social Security does not mean you go on medicare. You had to sign up for part A at 65. Medicare part B,C and D do not start until you are 66.
Your wife will need to purchase medical insurance from the private sector until she is 66.

golfing eagles 10-20-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1308642)
I assume from your statement that you are not getting insurance from an employer. That is you are paying directly to the insurance company. My assumption would be that you drop off the policy and your wife continues at a reduced premium that you keep paying.
Going on Social Security does not mean you go on medicare. You had to sign up for part A at 65. Medicare part B,C and D do not start until you are 66.
Your wife will need to purchase medical insurance from the private sector until she is 66.

Since when??? My wife got part A, B, and D the month she turned 65.

Paper1 10-20-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1308642)

I said getting ready for social security, I meant medicare. We are not covered at all by employer, paying directly to Florida Blue. It is that reduced premium I'm trying to nail down. Sorry for screwing up request for help from forum, blame it on age.

rjm1cc 10-21-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1308645)
Since when??? My wife got part A, B, and D the month she turned 65.

I think you are correct. I was thinking of full retirement age.

This site will answer the question.
Medicare.gov - Eligibility & Premium Calculator

carolmarion 10-21-2016 02:41 PM

Why hasn't your FloridaBlue rep given you a quote? Don't deal with Medicare.gov - talk directly with your FloridaBlue rep. We are in the same situation - hubby gets Medicare and I have FloridaBlue. My monthly premium is very reasonable, since our income in retirement is so low.

billybye 10-21-2016 02:56 PM

Unless you have a high income, Obamacare (Medicare.gov) is the best place to purchase insurance. It is worth the time it takes to check out. It worked for us and a few more people I know who are in same position with one person on Medicare and other too young for Medicare.

virgind 10-21-2016 06:07 PM

Take a look at Humana

Paper1 10-21-2016 07:38 PM

Thank you for replies, I have a good idea of path forward.

pklein9747 10-24-2016 12:54 PM

There is a Florida Blue office in Southern Trace. They are very helpful. Just call to make an appointment.

RGump 11-03-2016 02:06 PM

The Florida Blue office is MidFlorida Agencies and we are in Palm Ridge Plaza.

Paper1 11-03-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGump (Post 1314770)
The Florida Blue office is MidFlorida Agencies and we are in Palm Ridge Plaza.

Thank you, I thought the closest office was in Orlando.