Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Garage Door Not Closing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/garage-door-not-closing-217169/)

rayb2 11-07-2016 10:21 AM

Garage Door Not Closing

Garage door won't close when car is in driveway - works when the
car is in the garage (Homelink)
The portable transmitters work out in the driveway only if you
have them pointed correctly
The wall unit works fine
The wireless key pad works fine
Any suggestions where I should look to resolve this problem??
Thanks

jnieman 11-07-2016 11:25 AM

Try backing the cart up a bit. Our neighbor's does that and if he is too close to the door it will not close.

HuggyBear5 11-07-2016 11:59 AM

could be the sun reflecting off car onto sensors at bottom of garage door.

rayb2 11-10-2016 03:24 PM

The Romac technician found that the wireless remotes were not working due to interference from a faulty circuit breaker. Thanks for your input

geod 11-11-2016 07:44 AM

Try replacing the circuit breaker.

RickeyD 11-11-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayb2 (Post 1318307)
The Romac technician found that the wireless remotes were not working due to interference from a faulty circuit breaker. Thanks for your input

I'm curious as to how a "garage door mechanic" determined that a circuit breaker caused this problem and how did he narrow it done to a specific breaker.

dmorhome 11-11-2016 08:46 AM

try moving antenna on door unit from straight down to sideways.

rayb2 12-02-2016 02:49 PM

As soon as the technician suspected that it was an interference problem, he used a noise meter (sounds like AM interference) and walked around the garage
until the meter became the loudest. He shut the breaker off and the meter was silent and the remotes worked. Turned the breaker on and the noise on the meter returned and the remotes did not work. Took the advice from the previous contributor and had the circuit breaker replaced by a good electrician.
Everything works fine.

HiHoSteveO 12-02-2016 03:41 PM

Which Breaker was it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayb2 (Post 1328550)
As soon as the technician suspected that it was an interference problem, he used a noise meter (sounds like AM interference) and walked around the garage
until the meter became the loudest. He shut the breaker off and the meter was silent and the remotes worked. Turned the breaker on and the noise on the meter returned and the remotes did not work. Took the advice from the previous contributor and had the circuit breaker replaced by a good electrician.
Everything works fine.

Wow, that was an unexpected fix!
So if I understand correctly, it was NOT the breaker that fed the garage door opener but another one in the electrical panel.
Which one was it?

rayb2 12-04-2016 08:24 AM

It was not the breaker for the garage door opener, it was the breaker for the den. Defective breaker

kalisak 01-03-2017 03:09 PM

Thanks, HuggyBear5, my sensors are about 5 yrs old, and apparently have become too sensitive to daytime sunlight. I taped a cardboard shield on top of each sensor. It sticks out about 3 in. beyond the sensor front, and it worked. Turned out that it only needed it on one side. Thanks for the idea.

Mikeod 01-03-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalisak (Post 1342000)
Thanks, HuggyBear5, my sensors are about 5 yrs old, and apparently have become too sensitive to daytime sunlight. I taped a cardboard shield on top of each sensor. It sticks out about 3 in. beyond the sensor front, and it worked. Turned out that it only needed it on one side. Thanks for the idea.

We have that problem also, but it is seasonal in that it only happens for several weeks this time of year. Our garage faces SW so the sensor on one side has the sun on it and we have to shade it to get the door to shut.